I have an unlocked Blackberry Storm 9530 which was originally locked by Verizon Wireless. Is there a way to completely block or delete CDMA functionality? Basically I want this phone to only have the ability to connect to GSM/UTMS networks with the use of a SIM card. Can anyone help? Thank you very much.
    10-19-09 06:02 PM
    Go to options, mobile technology and set to gsm only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 06:17 PM
    Thank you. But I have done this. I was wondering about a more permanent solution. Perhaps editing a file with CrackUtil or something similar.
    10-19-09 06:32 PM
    Are BUMPs allowed? I know this in effect is a BUMP itself but I'm really dying to know what can be done about this. Thanks to anyone who can be of any help.
    10-19-09 07:59 PM
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you don't have service with a CDMA carrier then it won't use CDMA? The simple solution is simply to not set it up on a CDMA network. Am I missing something?

And I don't know the answer, but in order for someone else to help they may need to know exactly what it is you're trying to do and maybe why it's so urgent?
    10-19-09 08:24 PM
    The answer is no you cant, the CDMA is built into the hardware and if you have the phone set to GSM it is not using CDMA at all. And, no getting rid of the CDMA hardware will not give you a better GSM signal, the 9500 Storm is GSM only and still has the issue of being EDGE only in the US just like the 9530. This phone was not designed to work with US GSM carriers and so there will always be slight data signal issues no matter what you do. Hope this answers your question!
    10-19-09 08:35 PM
    Thank you both Chuck and Cal-El. I'm not looking to remove any hardware or improve GSM signal I'm just looking change a configuration in a way that CDMA can't ever kick in even if it's selected. Sort of like my experience with networking. Let me put it this way:

If your router is set to only issue 192.168.1.100 to your computer and you change your TCP/IP settings on your computer to 192.168.1.101 the computer will not be able to reach past the router to the internet

I'm looking for the equivalent of this. Perhaps just replace some numbers to zeros to render the CDMA configuration ineffective. Is this possible?

I hope I'm being more clear. Thank you again in advance!
    10-19-09 09:26 PM
    Thank you both Chuck and Cal-El. I'm not looking to remove any hardware or improve GSM signal I'm just looking change a configuration in a way that CDMA can't ever kick in even if it's selected. Sort of like my experience with networking. Let me put it this way:

If your router is set to only issue 192.168.1.100 to your computer and you change your TCP/IP settings on your computer to 192.168.1.101 the computer will not be able to reach past the router to the internet

I'm looking for the equivalent of this. Perhaps just replace some numbers to zeros to render the CDMA configuration ineffective. Is this possible?

I hope I'm being more clear. Thank you again in advance!
    This will never happend. The closest you'll be able to do is to leave it on GSM and provision the CDMA radio via ##000000 for a zero'd out number. Like it or not, these are you current limitations as an end user.
    10-19-09 09:54 PM
    Is there ulterior motive for this fear?

Are you afraid the phone would call home and report to its verizon master?

After a battery pull, does your phone always boot up with both radios on? even if you set the cdma radio off before?
    10-19-09 10:03 PM
    good read, thanks....
    10-19-09 10:08 PM
    This will never happend. The closest you'll be able to do is to leave it on GSM and provision the CDMA radio via ##000000 for a zero'd out number. Like it or not, these are you current limitations as an end user.
    Thank you. I didn't know all the CDMA information was flashed directly to a EEPROM chip of some kind making it only editable if you were to have the manufacturer re-flash it somehow. Is this what you're hinting at?

All well. Seems my dreams are crushed, haha! A big thanks to everyone!
    10-19-09 10:11 PM
    Is there ulterior motive for this fear?

Are you afraid the phone would call home and report to its verizon master?

After a battery pull, does your phone always boot up with both radios on? even if you set the cdma radio off before?
    There's nothing nefarious about my inquiry. I just know certain shady people who have Verizon and if they were to steal this from me I'd rather they not be able to use it.

I used to have that problem but apparently it's a common bug. I just eventually chose "Yes" when it asked if I would like it to automatically connect to a wireless network and then I changed it manually afterwords. I usually always chose no but the prompt kept coming back. But now it's gone forever and solved!
    10-19-09 10:16 PM
    you need new friends
    10-19-09 10:26 PM
    you need new friends
    They're not my friends. They're drug dealing low-lives my roomate associates with. I've had a Zune stolen before and I'm not too keen on making it easy for anyone again.
    10-19-09 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD