You sir, would make a terrible lawyer.
    Actually... A lawyer has generally failed if a case ever reaches court. The goal is to settle things out of court, or better yet, make sure that there's never even a problem in the first place.
    04-13-09 08:08 AM
    +1 ...and that upholstery change allowed the car to go 0-60 half a second faster.
    That's pretty much it. The color dept was reduced to free resources, thus speed up the OS, a tactic often used by software developers in beta stages. It's picking the better of two evils, banding as opposed to lags and lockups.

My assumption is that this is also the main reason for the delay in an official update, VZW marketing will not allow a device on store shelves with that visible of a flaw. Apple/ATT would use it as a sledge hammer against them.

I'm guessing the code to use the built in hardware acceleration is not done, once it is, we may have the best of both worlds.

Overall the banding doesn't bother me, but I see the point of complainers. Since RIM/VZW have been less than exemplary in handling the release of the Storm, complaints are justified. At least we get leaks to play with.
    04-13-09 08:24 AM
    That's pretty much it. The color dept was reduced to free resources, thus speed up the OS, a tactic often used by software developers in beta stages. It's picking the better of two evils, banding as opposed to lags and lockups.

My assumption is that this is also the main reason for the delay in an official update, VZW marketing will not allow a device on store shelves with that visible of a flaw. Apple/ATT would use it as a sledge hammer against them.

I'm guessing the code to use the built in hardware acceleration is not done, once it is, we may have the best of both worlds.

Overall the banding doesn't bother me, but I see the point of complainers. Since RIM/VZW have been less than exemplary in handling the release of the Storm, complaints are justified. At least we get leaks to play with.

Good points there. I really think we (the consumers) are going to win either way. Either they bring back the color depth in the official release or, we have a reasonable complaint against Verizon. They will rectify the situation either way.
    04-13-09 09:52 AM
    This issue also effects wallpapers with detailed gradients, so it is not constrained to the default theme. Whatever decompression technique they are using to decompress interface elements (including the wallpaper) has been reduced for the sake of GUI speed, it seems.
    I use one of the following as a wallpaper for my Storm. Bandind would stick out like a giant zit on the ladies' forehead.
    04-13-09 10:47 AM
    It's 65 thousand colors. Not 65 million.

Again, I'm not trying to get an opinion on what everyone would personally do with regard tor their own phones. I just want to know if in fact Verizon pushes an update with 65k colors in everything EXCEPT the GUI without being explicitly stated could this regarded as deceptive business?
    Sorry for the typo, it was late and I hadn't slept for 2 days. You are right it is only 65 thousand.
    04-18-09 06:04 PM
    My pictures and videos look great on this phone. Better than any other phone Ive seen.

I think you need to move on to more important issues. Just my opinion.
    04-18-09 06:26 PM
    Ok, this is just an observation but the Official Bell release of .122 does seem to have the color banding issue.

Now I know everyone is thinking, "Well yeah, your on Verizon so it probably doesn't work". That would be true, except that a 9530 is a 9530 so the OS doesn't really care that is is a Verizon phone. If it did care, the Bell OS would most likely not work at all. In fact, other than the banding issue, the Bell system works great on my phone and the memory leaks appear to be greatly reduced, if not eliminated for most apps.

I would be curious if any Bell customers have the banding issue after installing .122.

Anyway, just an observation.

--Joey
    Last edited by peike; 04-19-09 at 01:53 AM.
    04-19-09 01:51 AM
    Ok, this is just an observation but the Official Bell release of .122 does seem to have the color banding issue.

Now I know everyone is thinking, "Well yeah, your on Verizon so it probably doesn't work". That would be true, except that a 9530 is a 9530 so the OS doesn't really care that is is a Verizon phone. If it did care, the Bell OS would most likely not work at all. In fact, other than the banding issue, the Bell system works great on my phone and the memory leaks appear to be greatly reduced, if not eliminated for most apps.

I would be curious if any Bell customers have the banding issue after installing .122.

Anyway, just an observation.

--Joey

Bell customer here and I have banding issue but it seems less intense then .114
    04-19-09 02:41 AM
    Surely this is a software issue? You're not forced to update your OS, so taking it back and saying you don't like the update is a bit... well I can't see how you'd win.

If you don't like the update then just roll back to the old OS.

Using the analogy above, it's like buying a car with leather seats. They later offer you an upgrade but that upgrade means you lose your leather seats in exchange for a performance boost. You can either accept it or decline.
    04-19-09 04:43 AM
    It's 65 thousand colors. Not 65 million.

Again, I'm not trying to get an opinion on what everyone would personally do with regard tor their own phones. I just want to know if in fact Verizon pushes an update with 65k colors in everything EXCEPT the GUI without being explicitly stated could this regarded as deceptive business?
    My personal opinion would be no. The phone is in fact capable of rendering 65k colors, and did it reasonably well even when the GUI elements were provided in that level of detail. The hardware meets the advertised specification; RIM is under no obligation to actually provide you with GUI elements that make full use of that specification.

What if, instead of using lower resolution GUI images, RIM just decided to "revamp" the portions of the GUI that are currently showing banding into plain old monochrome black (or the opposite extreme, plain old monochrome white)? Surely that wouldn't be considered deceptive business - it'd just be a boring GUI. The phone would still have the capability to render 65,000 colors, and would do so flawlessly whenever faced with an image that was 65k colors.
    04-19-09 05:02 AM
    If the reduction in GUI color depth is responsible for the increased speed in the system then I say good work RIM. My pictures and video still look fine who cares if the GUI has less depth?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 06:59 AM
    If the reduction in GUI color depth is responsible for the increased speed in the system then I say good work RIM. My pictures and video still look fine who cares if the GUI has less depth?

Sorry...but why on earth would you be proud of a device that they have to take something away just to make it work like it's originally supposed to?

It's like buying a color TV then making it Black and White TV just so you can get cable.
    04-19-09 07:40 AM
    The screen STILL shows 65,536 colors..... Certain UI elements such as icons have had their color depth reduced. This does NOT mean the color depth is lower, pics and videos still show in 16-bit color. It is NOT a valid reason for a return as the screen is capable and does in fact show 16-bit color; no promises were ever made that the ICONS would be 16-bit.
    Am I the only one with noticeable banding in my picture gallery then? *Scratches head* 9500 v.122 btw

04-19-09 07:58 AM
    You sir, would make a terrible lawyer.
    You sir, is why the prices keep going up...it is people like you that nit pick so much about something that is so minor and that most people don;t give a #@!# about! Like some posters said "if this is all we have to complain about than we really have a great phone"
    04-19-09 02:55 PM
    Am I the only one with noticeable banding in my picture gallery then? *Scratches head* 9500 v.122 btw

Pictures you take or load onto the device from your computer may or may not exhibit banding, depending on the quality of the image and the level of compression. Not all digital image formats are created equal.
    04-19-09 06:25 PM
    Pictures you take or load onto the device from your computer may or may not exhibit banding, depending on the quality of the image and the level of compression. Not all digital image formats are created equal.
    Just reloaded my Storm from scratch and the Babylon A.D. video is there: no banding.

Hancock + Cowboy Bebop The Movie sideloaded on my Storm: No banding

Pics taken at max resolution + the 4 different backgrounds I posted earlier: No banding.

Someone who says they have banding on a digital image when displayed will have to post a screenshot of it for me to believe it and provide the file being displayed to test. Near everyone who has seen it has stated its in the UI only. And I've never seen proof outside of that
    04-19-09 06:34 PM
    Just reloaded my Storm from scratch and the Babylon A.D. video is there: no banding.

Hancock + Cowboy Bebop The Movie sideloaded on my Storm: No banding

Pics taken at max resolution + the 4 different backgrounds I posted earlier: No banding.

Someone who says they have banding on a digital image when displayed will have to post a screenshot of it for me to believe it and provide the file being displayed to test. Near everyone who has seen it has stated its in the UI only. And I've never seen proof outside of that
    I have read hundreds of these 'color banding' posts, with absolutely NO proof. My videos, picts, media, look great. The only thing I can think of, is that a small percentage of phones have some kind of problem with the graphics. But even if that is true, I have never seen a picture posted to prove it.

This is by far the best screen that I have ever had on a phone or pda.
    04-19-09 06:40 PM

I Agree!!!
    04-19-09 06:41 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD