If and official OS comes out with a reduced color deapth from what the origional phone had, would we have the legal right to force verizon to take our phones back?

We paid for a 65 thousand color display, if a software update gives us less that that, then they either need to fix it or take back the phones.
    04-12-09 10:18 AM
    A) The current official does not have banding, so no grounds for return...

B) This is speculation, so stop...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 10:27 AM
    Every Leak up to this point has had color banding. I am making an assumption that they won't fix it before the next official release. That seems to be the generally accepted consensus on this forum.
    04-12-09 10:44 AM
    You know what happens when you assume, right?

04-12-09 10:46 AM
    A) The current official does not have banding, so no grounds for return...

B) This is speculation, so stop...

hey smartass. he said IF a new OS comes out with the same coler banding that the latest LEAKED OS's. do your research before making someone feel stupid
    04-12-09 10:48 AM
    What research? We don't know what OS will be next official. He is speculating, that's it

04-12-09 10:51 AM
    Uhm, are you just looking for a way to return your Storm?

Personally, I'm not bothered by the banding, so what if its not smooth and perfect?! Its not a big deal...
    04-12-09 10:56 AM
    No. The 'banding' is in the GUI, not what the phone actually displays.

It'd be trying to return a phone because you don't like the way a theme looks
    04-12-09 11:01 AM
    The trick would be in how you'd show VZW that the color scale was reduced in the GUI. Hope you have a spare Storm with .75 on it... because they'll deny it otherwise. Even so, they'll say it's the hardware and offer you a replacement rather then a flat out return. If they truly are leaving this color drop in the GUI, another tactic will need to be used to bring this to light for the general public (those who may not notice) and VZW.... something along the lines of bad review publicity and even a big point-out of the new negative change.

You'll need to remember that VZW is dragging their feet because they're waiting for the messiah of OS's to fix their Storm and turn all the bad media coverage around on it. Something along the lines of "Sure, VZW released it buggy, but they did a heck of a job fixing it with an OS update" type thing. Something as small as this affecting themes will be a thorn in their side.
    04-12-09 11:11 AM
    I just think it's misleading. "Screen capable of 65 thousand colors" sort of implies to the consumer that you will SEE 65 thousand colors.
    04-12-09 11:17 AM
    IMO if it says "capable" of, there would be no grounds for a return, since the device is still "capable" of displaying 65,000 colors.

04-12-09 11:31 AM
    I just think it's misleading. "Screen capable of 65 thousand colors" sort of implies to the consumer that you will SEE 65 thousand colors.
    Again, no.

Unless the color reduction were visible in a video or picture you are essentially complaining about the gui. The gui not making use of the hardware's full capability does not mean the phone isn't displaying 65k colors. You would have to demonstrate the phone is physically incapable of displaying the colors in all applications
    although i am not really pissed about the color banding myself. it would be kind of "bad" if verizon was to release an update that had color banding. mostly because one of their selling points of the phone is the "beautiful hi res" display.

just my 2 cents
    You go back enough times and ask for a new Strom because your current Storm is defective Verizon would be more than happy to return your phone and allow you to choose another model/brand. Problem is once you get used to Storm even with all it's problems nothing else compares.
    04-12-09 12:23 PM
    The screen STILL shows 65,536 colors..... Certain UI elements such as icons have had their color depth reduced. This does NOT mean the color depth is lower, pics and videos still show in 16-bit color. It is NOT a valid reason for a return as the screen is capable and does in fact show 16-bit color; no promises were ever made that the ICONS would be 16-bit.
    04-12-09 12:33 PM
    although i am not really pissed about the color banding myself. it would be kind of "bad" if verizon was to release an update that had color banding. mostly because one of their selling points of the phone is the "beautiful hi res" display.

just my 2 cents
    It still has a "beautiful hi res" display. Less colorful icons have NOTHING to do with the quality of the screen.
    04-12-09 12:34 PM
    there aint no way they would release a official update with the color banding....seriously.....seriously.
    04-12-09 12:38 PM
    Isn't this the same principle as when Verizon disabled bluetooth profiles on the moto v710? Saying it's fully capable of one thing, and they reduce it's functionality. I think they got sued for that because it was misleading.
    04-12-09 12:54 PM
    I still wonder about the people who apparently spend enough time looking at still images on their device to even take much notice of this. When I use my phone, it's usually for a specific purpose, not to simply admire the screen.
    04-12-09 01:43 PM
    Isn't this the same principle as when Verizon disabled bluetooth profiles on the moto v710? Saying it's fully capable of one thing, and they reduce it's functionality. I think they got sued for that because it was misleading.
    No, because the color banding is limited to the GUI elements and does not affect video or pictures.
    04-12-09 02:26 PM
    No, because the color banding is limited to the GUI elements and does not affect video or pictures.
    The phone was not advertised as having 16 bit color on pictures and video, it was advertised as having it all the time. I missed the clause which states that the GUI was excluded from the 65k color rating.
    04-12-09 03:28 PM
    The phone was not advertised as having 16 bit color on pictures and video, it was advertised as having it all the time. I missed the clause which states that the GUI was excluded from the 65k color rating.
    A black and white theme would render your gui 1 bit but not affect the display of images in 65k colors. And to use your own argument:

Show us the clause which states that the GUI is included in the 65k color rating
    04-12-09 03:33 PM
    The phone was advertised as having a screen capable of "over 65,000 colors"... So, good luck making that argument stick.
    04-12-09 04:01 PM
    also, the color banding you're referring to is code written by RIM, not VZW. the bluetooth lock was a VZW designed OS when they started making the UI consistent across the board with all phones (correct me if i'm wrong, i didn't have the phone, but this is what i remember about the topic).
    04-12-09 04:24 PM
    It still has a "beautiful hi res" display. Less colorful icons have NOTHING to do with the quality of the screen.
    well i'm just saying. if you showed an everyday person a storm running .75 and then say .113 or any OS with color banding. i'm sure they would noticed the pixelation and shadows around the icons and such on the later versions.

in fact i updated my uncles storm and he noticed right away and thought I had ruined his phone. I explained it to him, but he didn't really get it and thought it was ridiculous. Not everyone knows technical things about everything. All he knew was that his screen didn't look as good as it did before.
    04-12-09 04:38 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD