You can install a lot of apps on a Storm 1. Yeah, if you need to have 30 fart apps or something then it may be a problem, but if you choose wisely you can install at least 30 apps and still have plenty of operating memory left.

And still, for $50 it's a darn good deal if it's in good shape, me thinks. You aren't going to get a an HTC Incredible for $50. Besides, the Storm has far superior battery life.
    I agree with Chuck 100%. Lots of people slag the 9530 for all the things that it wasn't, and there's LOTS of hate on crackberry for the S1. I love mine, my wife has a tour and I wouldn't take it over my storm. If you run a newer OS (419), trimmed of all the junk, you can easily load 20 - 30 apps, and have a very dependable smartphone with great reception and amazing battery life. In my experience, I have found if the phone has ever been dropped, it is no good... That would be my only concern. (three people I know have dropped their S1 and the phone is never the same... so go buy an otterbox if your a clutz like me)
    05-14-10 03:29 AM
    Besides, the Storm has far superior battery life.
    That's because you do so many battery pulls that the battery stays fresh.
    05-14-10 07:53 AM
    I agree with Chuck 100%. Lots of people slag the 9530 for all the things that it wasn't, and there's LOTS of hate on crackberry for the S1.
    where do you think the hate comes from? do you think that it's just fabricated?
    05-14-10 07:56 AM
    where do you think the hate comes from? do you think that it's just fabricated?
    Like most hate in the world, it comes from ignorance
    05-14-10 08:28 AM
    Like most hate in the world, it comes from ignorance
    Ok, now I get it. Most people just don't understand the storm.
    05-14-10 10:19 AM
    Ok, now I get it. Most people just don't understand the storm.
    Well, it's like a 3-cylinder Daewoo being compared to a 8-cylinder Mustang.
    05-14-10 10:57 AM
    Well, it's like a 3-cylinder Daewoo being compared to a 8-cylinder Mustang.
    Yes that may be a fair comparison when looking at the situation now, but how many of those people who stood in those lines two Novembers ago (Me included ) knew that they were standing in line for a 3-cylinder? Because it definitely wasn't marketed as such!
    05-14-10 12:27 PM
    How about a 1991 mazda b2200 to a 2010 Ford Ranger?
    05-14-10 02:07 PM
    How about a 1991 mazda b2200 to a 2010 Ford Ranger?

What kind of comparison is that? Which one is better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 05:20 PM
    the 1991 b2200 is an older mini Mazda truck with a 6" box and a full back seat in the cab plus modle, and much better handling. but only 85hp.
    the 2010 ranger (which the current Mazda trucks are in actuallity (in north america; internationally Mazda sells the BT-50 which is like a GMC Canyon)) has a 5"6' box, a very unsafe side seat in the cp, and not as easy to maneuver and has a wide turning radius. has a lot more powerful engine and can tow a lot more. maybe the mileage is worse, but the mazda is just a touch better than a Canyon

basically Mazda=Storm1, Ranger= the latest&greatest Droid.
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-14-10 at 05:42 PM.
    05-14-10 05:40 PM
    I think everyone needs to get over their bitter attitude about the storm. It sucked when I first got it, now with OS 5, it's near a perfect blackberry. A little low on app memory, and no wifi, but it runs great. The storm 2 is almost exactly the same phone with more app memory and wifi. I was going to bite the bullet and spend $500 to get it, but I'm so glad I didn't because OS 5changed everything.
    05-14-10 10:14 PM
    I think everyone needs to get over their bitter attitude about the storm. It sucked when I first got it, now with OS 5, it's near a perfect blackberry. A little low on app memory, and no wifi, but it runs great. The storm 2 is almost exactly the same phone with more app memory and wifi. I was going to bite the bullet and spend $500 to get it, but I'm so glad I didn't because OS 5changed everything.
    Whatever gets you to sleep at night!
    05-14-10 10:15 PM
    It's not hard to sleep at night with the S1. Having spent much more on a Droid or Incredible that'll be obsolete in a few months' time would be. If you're not worried about being up to date with phones every second then you'll be ok. I'm not going to spend $200+ more than I did on my S1 just to look cool. This phone works flawlessly. I have 28 apps installed and boot up at 41.5 MB. What memory problems are people referring to? If you don't know how to keep your phone performing right maybe a less complicated phone IS necessary. When the new batch of 4G phones and newer Storm come around ill gladly trade my Storm in...not for something a few steps ahead though.

Last edited by eternalemb; 05-15-10 at 12:47 AM.
    05-15-10 12:44 AM
    As much as I hear people complain about the Storm 1, with the latest OS (or leak, or hybrid) installed on it, it's a great phone if you get one in good shape.

I've been using mine for 17 months, and plan on keeping it until January - there have been better phones come out since, but not enough better... played with the Droid, seen the Incredible, played with a Storm 2... played with a 9700... played with an iPhone 3GS... and if I could choose one of those phones at the same time as I picked the Storm 1, I'd still take the Storm.

Replacement is between the next iPhone (not likely, but we'll see how it is) and the Storm 3 - Android is still immature as a platform, and there are all kinds of concerns as to upcoming stability issues and virus activity with the lack of app screening

Anyways, for $50? I'd pay $100 probably, as long as it has the memory card - $50 is a steal

Just don't load too many apps on it - that's the big weakness is it can't handle too many apps due to limited application install memory. 15 or so seems pretty safe
    05-15-10 01:07 AM
    [QUOTE=srvcb;5110637]The main advantage of the Storm over the Tour IMHO is the larger screen size. I had a Storm and Tour but mainly used the Storm because of the larger screen. Things seemed easier to read despite the fact that the Tour has more memory and I could type faster and more accurately on the Tour.

But for $50, it would make a decent backup should your Tour ever have a problem

Exactly! That's what I plan on doing with my 8330 when its time to grab myself a New Bold ( or just get the updated curve) and finally drop the insurance!
    05-15-10 08:15 AM
    Wow, a lot of good posts continue to show up, Squire72 and Eternalemb, you two made some good points. I have tried the droid, and after a week the novelty wore off, so I went back to my Tour. Yes it was fast, apps were fun, having free navigation was cool, but I don't travel that much like that. Not downing navaigiton, or VZ navi, just saying. Plus, using the droid outside didn't help either, the BB you can see the screen dead smack in the sun light. I too thought about the app screening and virus stuff, I mean, why would you need a virus app scanner on a phone you know? And the style of the Moto Droid wouldn't grow on me like I thought it would. Anyways..........

To be honest, my BB experience started back in Aug and it was with the Storm, had it for half the days in my trial, and at that time, I got tired of touch because I was coming from my Dare phone and I wanted a change, so I went with the Tour. So I am very familar with the Storm or the BB world if I may say, and seeing that I could get a storm for $50, like you said squire72, its a steal in a sense.

The phone itself has a few dinks and you can tell its been used of course, but I played with it and it is still functional and someone said in an earlier post about if its been dropped then don't get it. After playing with it, I know it hasn't been dropped but I will still ask, but anyways, a nice commuter otterbox will cover up them dinks.

As far as the apps and memory, I'm the type of guy that keeps things simple, so the most apps I use extra are between 10-15. I don't do all the leak OS stuff because its not original, I want my phone to work you know, at least I know the OS is legit.

So again, these responses have been entertaining and very helpful. By this coming Friday is when I will get the phone, because you can't beat the price, have you seen craiglist's(yes craiglist's) prices lately for the Storm1, sheesh, and I'm sure by the time my upgrade comes which is by March 2011, I'm sure the droid and the incrediBULL, kidding, will be a distant memory.

Last edited by not_addicted77; 05-15-10 at 09:18 AM.
    05-15-10 09:12 AM
    Whatever gets you to sleep at night!
    Your posts sound strangely familiar, as does your moniker here.

The Storm1 is NOT the worst device ever. Many of us use ours heavily, each and every day, with 20+ apps loaded up and installed, on "official" carrier OS, and are perfectly fine with it.

Mine are both workhorses. The "official" one running "official" software, and the "test" one running hybrids and whatever else I can throw at it. They both just work well.

To the OP, for $50, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, get it unlocked, and PLAY with it.
    05-15-10 10:43 PM
    I have the storm 1 and yeah sure it has its problems every now and then but doesn't every phone have something that someone is going to complain about?

I bought my Storm for $50 and it is the best $50 I have ever spent on a phone. I HATE touch screen but I love this phone. I would like to get a Tour or a new BB Curve but there is just something about this phone I love. Mine freezes, and won't unlock sometimes but a battery pull fixes it for me. I don't have 30 plus apps running either. I have Facebook and myspace that is it. I don't need all the other apps they just take up space and make the phone run slow.

IMHO $50 is a great deal and you should do it.
    05-17-10 09:04 AM
    sigh, i bought mine from a friend for $100 about a month ago. $50 is a great deal. I was coming from an LG enV Touch which is very similar to the Dare. IMHO, the Storm 1 is awesome. I have some other friends that had them and hated them.

I didn't like it very much with the old OS, but with the new one its much better. All phones have quirks. There's no such thing as the perfect phone. For me, the storm is great and I could foresee myself using this for at least the next year and even beyond. (i'm only halfway through my NE2 with Verizon)

-joel
    05-18-10 12:49 PM
    Thanks Joel and Cherry

05-18-10 02:15 PM
    Went ahead and bought the storm and I feel like a kid again as I'm typing on it. Hehehe

This new os is great and I will be enjoying the phone for a awhile.

05-21-10 11:03 PM
    Don't you Dare!
    05-22-10 08:10 AM
    Congrats! Enjoy

Went ahead and bought the storm and I feel like a kid again as I'm typing on it. Hehehe

This new os is great and I will be enjoying the phone for a awhile.

05-23-10 08:55 AM
    This made me LOL. Anyway its not a bad deal OP, the Storm is not bad on the latest OS that are out. I still would never own one again though.
    NEVER again! May I praise the phone gods for the early upgrade.
    The Storm is dead to me...
    05-23-10 01:16 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD