Cnet has posted their iphone vs storm prizefight

The storm does not do too well in the fight.

Prizefight: RIM BlackBerry Storm vs. Apple iPhone 3G - CNET Reviews
    12-15-08 01:03 PM
    I watched that yesterday and laughed. Some of the things that they low ranked the storm for I would personally place above the iphone. Don't get me wrong the Iphone is a great device but I think people are still too caught up in the hype. No feature on the storm should score below a 3, at least not on my storm anyways.
    12-15-08 01:08 PM
    This is a joke. Cnet is a joke. They will never allow a phone to beat the IPhone ever. IMO the Curve can easily kill the IPhone when it comes to useful features.
    12-15-08 01:13 PM
    "Now, we realize there will be critics who argue that it's not fair to pit the first-generation BlackBerry Storm against the second-generation iPhone. However, in our eyes, if Verizon and Research In Motion felt the Storm was good enough to put out on the market, it's fair game. Better luck next time, BlackBerry Storm."

What's not fair is not waiting for a few more Storm updates to smooth things out. Cnet makes it appear as if RIM needs some new model Storm just to take on the Iphone which is crazy talk. RIM didn't make the same mistake as apple in leaving out a key feature. Everything they mention in the article can be taken care of with software improvements. Not one mention of the Iphones performance before the updates got rolled out? Sorry but the whole article had a biased aura about it in my opinion.
    12-15-08 01:18 PM
    I have to agree with Jeff. Cnet is a complete joke. I watched that prizefight thing once and thought it was one of the stupidest things I had ever seen.
    12-15-08 01:20 PM
    "Now, we realize there will be critics who argue that it's not fair to pit the first-generation BlackBerry Storm against the second-generation iPhone. However, in our eyes, if Verizon and Research In Motion felt the Storm was good enough to put out on the market, it's fair game. Better luck next time, BlackBerry Storm."

What's not fair is not waiting for a few more Storm updates to smooth things out. Cnet makes it appear as if RIM needs some new model Storm just to take on the Iphone which is crazy talk. RIM didn't make the same mistake as apple in leaving out a key feature. Everything they mention in the article can be taken care of with software improvements. Not one mention of the Iphones performance before the updates got rolled out? Sorry but the whole article had a biased aura about it in my opinion.
    Absolutely Correct! Let's see this comparison between STORM & iPhone done with a Initial Release, 1st Gen iPhone and see how it fairs! Storm would win hands down!
    12-15-08 01:24 PM
    And how much did apple/AT&T pay them to do this? Sexier? Iphone? Ha that's a joke.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 01:27 PM
    The people on this site are so defensive it's almost pathetic. Why not just admit and face up to the fact that the Storm needs major software improvements. So when should Cnet be allowed to make this comparison?? After the next software update, or the one after that or the one after that? Why can't you accept that reviewers are entitled to their own opinion?

And dont' go calling me an ipone fan - because I don't really care for it as my device. I have been a bby user for 3 years. I am also disappointed that the Storm is not more stable and does not have wifi because if it were I would already own it.
    12-15-08 01:30 PM
    iphone 3G has had what? 3 or 4 software updates since its release? I think what would be fair is to compare a final software release of the Storm to the final software release of the Iphone 3G...then have their lil "prizefight". Im sure the Storm would do a lot better in the comparison then. Also if they really wanna compare something fair they should be comparing the first gen iphone to the Storm since the Storm has only been out for less then a month and the iphone has been out for over a year. Regardless, I could care less...I love my Storm and would take it over a 3G iphone anyday of the week. I hated my ex gf's iphone with a passion.
    12-15-08 01:37 PM
    Hahahaha. Coming from the same people that ranked the Voyager over the 1gen iphone. Too funny. Check out the vid
    Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
    12-15-08 01:40 PM
    Sorry but I don't understand your logic. Why should they compare the first gen ipone to the storm?? Shouldn't the compare the current products out now? Should they not be able to compare the bold to the 4th gen palm device? Should they not be able to compare corvettes vs porsche 911 because the 911 has been around longer??

This makes no sense. So next year when there is a 3rd gen iphone and a 2nd gen storm should they only be able to compare the 2nd gen storm to 2nd gen iphone???
    12-15-08 01:40 PM
    its all about the now , if i phone has 4g next years and we stil have the storm 1g , which we will, then they will compaire the devices. its the battle of the top dogs regardless of gen release .
    12-15-08 01:45 PM
    I honestly see nothing wrong with comparing the Storm as it is today to the current iPhone 3G. Any other comparison would make no sense. A consumer who is debating between the two devices is going to rate the merits of each phone as they currently are and not the Storm they can purchase today vs. an iPhone that is over a year old.

That said, with the categories that CNet used, I would have to agree with the iPhone being the winner vs. the Storm. Here's my breakdown if you care:

Sexiness: iPhone. When it comes down to what's cool and hip, the iPhone sets the standard. I think the BlackBerry comes close, but the iPhone wins out.
    Navigation: iPhone. The iPhone's OS was built from the ground up purposely for use on the this very phone. As a result, the UI is spectacular. The Storm on the other hand has an OS that was merely ported over to a touch screen environment and is less intuitive.
    Features: Draw. While the Storm is definitely superior in the e-mail and messaging arenas, the iPhone has the app store to make up for basic shortcomings like a lack of cut and paste.
    Web Browsing and Multimedia: iPhone. Mobile Safari is awesome and RIM is improving but still lagging behind.
    Call Quality and Performance: Storm. This seems like a category based more on the network and for my uses Verizon's is superior to AT&T's.

So, if I am loving the iPhone so much, why on Earth do I have the Storm? Simple: because all of those categories don't have an equal weighting in my book (far from it in fact). The communication features are the most important to me (I don't play any games on my cell phone and rarely use the multimedia features) so the Storm smashes the iPhone in my personal prize fight.

Cliffs Notes: CNet is right based on the structure of their debate but their decision making methodology is far from universal.
    12-15-08 02:23 PM
    Good point sooks : )

People need to read the full article before jumping to conclusions. Everything people on these boards talk about; copy paste, call quality/dropped calls and mms advantages was mentioned and gave the Storm the win.

Unfortunately it lost out on the other categories. It lost in those catagories because, like Apple or not, the iPhone is superior in those particular categories. Some folks just want to hate on Apple and not give them props but the truth of the matter is go use one and you will see the browsing and multimedia on the iPhone can't be beat. YET!

Good thing they didn't use an iPhone that was jailbroke ; )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 02:29 PM
    I just ordered the storm. I currently have the Dare and I think it is the worst phone I have ever had in my life. I was using a Treo 700p before that and loved it, but hated my Sprint service.

I have an iPod Touch to F with... but AT&T sucks so damn bad it is not worth the iphone. The Dare did better in the prizefight than the storm which is laughable to me.. I would rather go back to my Nextel i50 then rock this Dare any longer.
    12-15-08 02:34 PM
    cnet and their prize fights are a joke...they did a prizefight with the voyager and the iphone when they both first came out and they ranked the voyager above it...Now i'm not bashing the voyager as it was a good phone for a while, but it doesn't compare to the storm/iphone....I would take this review with a grain of salt..plus all of those things can be fixed with fw updates.
    12-15-08 02:34 PM
    ya the way they handled this is kinda bias. I am a fan of both these phones and i believe that they are equal.

yup yup
    12-15-08 02:44 PM
    Like Soco said, if Cnet had the Voyager beating the iPhone, then don't put too much stock in this prize fight. I owned the Voyager for just about a year, and I can honestly say that the Storm is way better then the Voyager.
    12-15-08 02:49 PM
    I'm also going to join in saying that Cnet is a joke. Actually calling them a joke is being far too kind. Particularly after the whole Gamespot review debacle, where half the reviewing staff quit in protest over one of the top reviewers being fired for panning a game that was being heavily advertised on the site... Then altering the written review. I'd like to say that was the first time that sort of thing has happened at Cnet, but it was just probably the most public.

Cnet is out to make money, though they aren't very good at it, and they will publish articles that say whatever they think will bring in the most ad revenue. Any notion of impartiality is non-existent.

And to give some ideas... Take a look at any Cnet cell phone review, for pretty much any phone on any carrier. They will spend 3/4 of the article talking about all the pointless do-dads the phone comes with, and pretty much everything EXCEPT how it works as a phone... That will get maybe 2-3 sentences at the very end of the article before a quick wrapup about all the other features the phone does or doesn't have. Maybe it's just me, but I think how a cell PHONE works as a PHONE should be the first thing they talk about. Not how big it is, how much it weighs, how pretty they think the screen is or isn't, etc. All of those things have their place, but I think that the core functionality of how the cell PHONE works as a PHONE should come first. As opposed to a brief, almost afterthought, at the very end of the article.

And finally, for better or worse, the iPhone is the standard by which all other cell phones are judged these days. Complaining about how it's not a fair comparison this, or they are focusing on two different markets that, won't change this very fundamental truth. Apple is VERY good at convincing people they need overpriced gadgets.

In the end though, what does it really matter what other people think? At the end of the day, it's a real simple question: Does the Storm work for me? Who cares what some putz at Cnet thinks, or some Jesus Phone owner who bought it simply because it's the latest fad, and they can't resist an opportunity to act like a pompous *****? Who gives a rats arse about them? Does it work for you? Yes or no. And if not, why do you still have it?
    12-15-08 02:51 PM
    Its well known that the Storm needs MAJOR SOFTWARE UPDATES..why do you think that there is a frenzy every time someone even hints at a new one..

I would have got the iPhone if ****ty ATnT didn't get the contract..
    12-15-08 02:51 PM
    They should do a whatever this is fight between the 2 both at launch date status. Im sure they keep records of that info.

Comparing a new device to one thats been around for a couple years is good to see where the new device needs to get to, but not to try and use as a means to bash one device over the other.
    12-15-08 02:55 PM
    WOW!!!! are you serious!?! cnet is about as biased as a republican sitting in on a democratic convention. My summary of their comments (wow they are seriously ********)
    1. Style - iPhone has 1 button, cool. Storm, better screen but feels more solid in the hand, not cool. (suck my d cnet)
    2. Navigation - iPhone is so easy a ****** can use it.
    3. Features - Storm is more useful and functional...
    4. Media - iPhone is not a phone but actually an iPod touch...
    5. Call quality - iPhone is on ATT... WTF!?!
    Summary: I call BS, judges were paid. Bonnie can lick my nut sack. what about the ****ty speakers on the iPhone that don't allow you to actually hear your music. The only category that really matters is features. Storm > iPhone end of story.

Edit: just read the final comments on the article. OMG I F'IN HATE CNET, FUC**N D!CK RIDERS! better luck next time? oh ****, I'm ready to go to the headquarters and throw down!
    Last edited by juKe187; 12-15-08 at 03:28 PM.
    12-15-08 02:59 PM
    I read the article and my point before was simply that it was implied that the storm is inferior when in reality it needs a few software updates and nothing more. They want to judge the two devices heads up today that is fine but the text should make it clear that most of the issues they bring up are software and will be fixed in the near future. Their wording is extremely biased at the end. Most people that read that and don't know anything about the phones are going to think that the Storm is a lesser product when in reality it is simply a newer and more complicated one. It's an important distinction because if someone that likes aspects about the Storm but then reads an article like that and is then scared away because of it--that is wrong. Judge the Storm vs the 3g of course but do it right.
    12-15-08 03:00 PM
    I am not trying to bash the iPhone, all of Cnet's "prize-fights" have been hillarious.

They are without a doubt the worst reviewers out there.
    12-15-08 03:21 PM
    I am not trying to bash the iPhone, all of Cnet's "prize-fights" have been hillarious.

They are without a doubt the worst reviewers out there.
    I hate when review sites turn biased. Like the only thing that you need in order to be considered a good critic is indifference. CNET probably started out thinking "Let's bring people real reviews, with real opinions" and now they just sold out for advertisements and money. Really pisses me off, especially since CNET is a pretty big deal for a lot of people before going out to by stuff, I really hope people can see through this!
    12-15-08 03:31 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD