In relation to the crunching thread I posted, I found out there were two factory plastic screen protectors installed on my Storm.

One was very light plastic and when I peeled it off, I thought this was the only sheet there. So I went ahead and installed my own protector. Well after a couple weeks I started to get a screen crunch, which since then I have learned a number of people have been experiencing, along with dull clicking.

It turns out, the crunching was actually caused by my 2nd factory installed protector(again, I had no idea it was there and absolutely could not see it), reacting with the protector I installed.

After taking my protector off because it was starting to catch on the edge of the phone, is when I noticed a tiny bubble from the factory sheet. Much to my surprise, I started to peel a VERY stiff protector from the bare screen. After I pulled it off and started clicking on the virgin glass, the crunching was GONE, and the clicking was now defined and louder.

I decided to apply my own protector again, this time truly on bare glass, and am very happy to report the crunching is still gone, and the click is great.

Please post if you find similar sheets applied to your phone and similar results.

You have to look damn hard to see that factory sheet on the glass.
    01-11-09 05:44 AM
    Hmm I'm scared to check and I do not know if this is a wise idea as of yet... I will wait for more replies on this post. Maybe this second screen protector is there for a reason and shouldn't be removed. OR you placed
    two screen protecters by accident... If this is the case then LOL. But let's wait for more people and their thoughts about this supposed discovery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 05:56 AM
    Nah. I bought the Verizon package of 3, used only one. The ones with the little tape tabs that you peel the backing off with.

Now I've used the second one after removing BOTH factory sheets.

The 2nd layer that was factory installed started to peel very slightly on it's own, so it wasn't going to stay for long regardless.

It just seems like such an error on VZ's part to put a double layer on my phone, so yes, I can see why you would be hesitant to remove it.

But could you even think of any function a layer of plastic would have besides protection on a touchscreen. I can't myself.
    01-11-09 06:13 AM
    How come I cannot get this second layer off? Or better yet how do I get it off? Cus I just tried and it doesn't look like there is anything else there other than the glass...

01-11-09 06:22 AM
    And don't think this was an accident that verizon or rim put this second layer... If there is one... Because maybe this is the reason why the Storm screen is scratch resistant so to remove this second layer might be a hazard to your phone.

01-11-09 06:31 AM
    And don't think this was an accident that verizon or rim put this second layer... If there is one... Because maybe this is the reason why the Storm screen is scratch resistant so to remove this second layer might be a hazard to your phone.

try to scratch it if you can it has a protector on it.....if you cant scratch it then it doesnt.....the acual screen is unscratchable for the most part.....unless your smuggling diamonds out of south africa in your pocket with the phone!

PS there are many many many threads allready started on this subject
    01-11-09 07:32 AM
    Look at a hardness chart sometime. Glass is extremely scratch-resistant. I carry a Zune 80 with it's glass screen and NEVER needed a screen protector!
    01-11-09 08:09 AM
    I had the same thing happen to me. When my phone came I removed the first plastic cover and noticed there was a bubble on my screen. Ordered a replacement phone I saw some people were posting the bubble issue on their phones. The new phone never arrived and then a week later I noticed that there was a plastic cover on the glass and it was coming off. I removed it no more bubble I’m not sure if it is suppose to stay on or be removed?
    01-11-09 08:15 AM
    Look at a hardness chart sometime. Glass is extremely scratch-resistant. I carry a Zune 80 with it's glass screen and NEVER needed a screen protector!
    What's a Zune?
    01-11-09 08:42 AM
    How come I cannot get this second layer off? Or better yet how do I get it off? Cus I just tried and it doesn't look like there is anything else there other than the glass...

If you look closely at the edges around your screen you will see a thin layered protector that will definitely come off. Use the edge of your fingernail and carefully pick at one edge of the screen and it will begin to lift up. Once the protector has lifted up enough, just peel it off.
    01-11-09 08:55 AM
    I saw in another thread, a guy mentioned that the hard palstic protector (the 2nd layer) was supposed to stay on the phone. Its weird cause some storms have them and some dont. Im on my 3rd storm, and not yet have I gotten one that had the 2nd hard layer plastic protector.
    01-11-09 09:54 AM
    This should be pretty well known already to storm users. The first screen protector is the one that only covers half the screen. Then the second screen protector covers the entire screen. It's very hard to notice it, but look very close at the edges of the screens and you'll see it.
    01-11-09 10:02 AM
    I have had my factory installed screen protector on since 11/28, had a launch storm replaced a week later,and it is still in good condition. Bought the Invashield, but I won't install it until the factory plastic scratches. It is still hard to see that its on, you have to tilt Storm sideways in the light to see that the edge is less than a mm short of the edge of the glass.
    01-11-09 10:02 AM
    I saw in another thread, a guy mentioned that the hard palstic protector (the 2nd layer) was supposed to stay on the phone. Its weird cause some storms have them and some dont. Im on my 3rd storm, and not yet have I gotten one that had the 2nd hard layer plastic protector.
    Yeah, that was me. A coworker recieved his Storm Friday at work and I was putting it together for him. His only came with the Menu/Back sticker on top on the bubbling screen protector. Underneath that was just glass. It looks like they stopped putting the third one underneath. The one I received Nov 25th has the 2 layers of screen protectors. Not it looks like they just put the temporary shipping one on which kind of sucks. Of course, this all could depend on where the phone was manufactured or some other thing and some may still have the two. Not sure.
    01-11-09 10:11 AM
    This should be pretty well known already to storm users. The first screen protector is the one that only covers half the screen. Then the second screen protector covers the entire screen. It's very hard to notice it, but look very close at the edges of the screens and you'll see it.
    No they are talking about a 3rd... Half protector, thin layer full protector, and a harder plastic protector. I am trying to find the link with the picture. Some have it and some dont it turns out.
    01-11-09 10:11 AM
    By 2 layers I'm talking about the full screen layers. The first full layer was a very flimsy, weak plastic. The one directly on the glass is a very rigid plastic.

After removing the 2nd rigid layer is when my phone stopped making the crunching sound.

The 2nd layer, yes, may have been discussed, but what I would like to see is if anyone who experiences the "BlackBerry crunch" takes it off and resolves the crunching sound.

That's what happened with me. No more crunch after removing that 2nd rigid plastic sheet, and no crunch after putting my own screen protector on.

The only reason the 2nd layer would "have to stay on the phone" would be for protection. It's has not effect on the phone's functionality.
    01-11-09 10:24 AM
    By 2 layers I'm talking about the full screen layers. The first full layer was a very flimsy, weak plastic. The one directly on the glass is a very rigid plastic.

After removing the 2nd rigid layer is when my phone stopped making the crunching sound.

The 2nd layer, yes, may have been discussed, but what I would like to see is if anyone who experiences the "BlackBerry crunch" takes it off and resolves the crunching sound.

That's what happened with me. No more crunch after removing that 2nd rigid plastic sheet, and no crunch after putting my own screen protector on.

The only reason the 2nd layer would "have to stay on the phone" would be for protection. It's has not effect on the phone's functionality.
    Mine came with 2 also same as yours Steve. I already replaced the second one because it was starting to lift off because of the leather holster cathcing an edge.
    01-11-09 11:11 AM
    Mine had 2 as well. I left the second one on untill it got all scuffed up then I took it off...about a week ago. Now i am naked!
    01-11-09 11:20 AM
    DO NOT TAKE IT OFF, as i posted in the other threads , i have had 7 storms , first 5 i took it off the phone would ALWAYS get greasy and i would have dust under the screen . the last two , never took it off , and the screen never got greasy , and no dust was able to build up ( cant offer an explaination for why no dust) but i would keep it on, it makes a world of difference and contrary to belief it wont effect the touch screen.
    01-11-09 11:27 AM
    Take it off! This is my 3rd storm and the first to come with this piece of crap protector on it. After a few hours it was all scratched up and looked like garbage.Remove it and put on an aftermarket screen protector!
    01-11-09 11:46 AM
    What's a Zune?
    It's mircosoft's version of an ipod

google...zune

I have a 30g and a 80g, love them, just not crazy about the software, it's proprietary like itunes.
    01-11-09 11:52 AM
    I use the matte iphone screen protector, the verizon one gets too smudgey
    01-11-09 11:54 AM
    Mine came with two, the half screen and the full screen protectors. I removed both, added the Verizon screen protector and have not had any problems since. The Verizon protector has been on the phone since Nov 25 and is still in great condition.

It does tend to show some smudges, but they wipe right off. It also has a very smooth feel, almost like glass.
    01-11-09 12:00 PM
    I used the VZW screen protectors too, but didn't like the fingerprints that were left on it all the time. I ordered the 3-pack from Crackberry ($14.95) and they are great. They aren't glossy, but just a hint of a matte finish. They're incredibly non-glare and not fingerprints! They're also re-usable and washable which means I should get lots of uses out of the 3. They're lots less expensive than most others I've seen advertised as being fingerprint proof and non-glare. Give them a try.
    01-11-09 04:12 PM
    I used the VZW screen protectors too, but didn't like the fingerprints that were left on it all the time. I ordered the 3-pack from Crackberry ($14.95) and they are great. They aren't glossy, but just a hint of a matte finish. They're incredibly non-glare and not fingerprints! They're also re-usable and washable which means I should get lots of uses out of the 3. They're lots less expensive than most others I've seen advertised as being fingerprint proof and non-glare. Give them a try.
    how do these protectors stick to the screen? is it similar to how the vzw protectors worked (sticky adhesive)?

i have a couple specs of dust under my verizon protector and would rather replace it with something i know could be removed, cleaned and re-applied. so, i'm wondering how these stick on and therefore, how reusable they really are.

thanks.
    01-11-09 04:24 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD