I've had my Storm plugged into the included USB cable attached to my work PC. Icon indicates its charging, and if I shut it off the green LED blinks like it is charging, but after an hour there is no increase in battery level. Anyone know why this would be?
    12-03-08 04:39 PM
    Is the USB port on your PC enabled?
    12-03-08 04:45 PM
    I am not totally sure, and as I don't have mine yet, I couldn't be positive its note an issue with your cable or phone, however the voltage from a usb port is not as high as if plugged into a power outlet.

This will cause much longer charge times.

For instance my mp3 player if hooked to the usb takes 6-8 hrs to fully charge from a totally dead batt. Hooked to the wall outlet only takes about 2 hours.

And that's just a basic mp3 player, by what I see from these phones, they are more complex, and will require a longer charge time.

Just my opinion... anyone else???
    12-03-08 04:46 PM
    I'm not sure about the Storm, but I know my 8830WE actually requested an increase in power to the USB port when it was plugged in otherwise it wouldn't charge correctly.

Make sure you have all of your drivers (including your USB) up to day and the DM installed as well. Also wouldn't hurt to possibly try a different USB port.
    12-03-08 04:47 PM
    Don't quote me on this but try disabling the mass storage features...

I wanted to listen to music with the phone plugged in...no chance but when I disabled the mass storage...it worked fine.

hope that works for you...if it does let us know.
    12-03-08 04:48 PM
    I've had my Storm plugged into the included USB cable attached to my work PC. Icon indicates its charging, and if I shut it off the green LED blinks like it is charging, but after an hour there is no increase in battery level. Anyone know why this would be?
    Are you sure the USB port on your PC is powered? Not all of them are.
    12-03-08 04:48 PM
    I'm using the same USB port I used when I had the Bold, and that worked fine, so I don't think its an issue of power being there. I'll look into the drivers.
    12-03-08 04:51 PM
    I wondered the same thing so this morning I tested it.

I used the phone enough to show one empty bar and hooked it up to my laptop USB.. it took quite a while, but it DID charge.. most definitely slower than charging with the outlet.

at least it worked!
    12-03-08 05:00 PM
    it just charges slower from the PC than when plugged into a wall. I've noticed that quite a few times.
    12-03-08 05:12 PM
    Mine charges fine that's weird

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 05:18 PM
    USB is slow charging on my PC too. The car charger works fastest for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 05:25 PM
    however the voltage from a usb port is not as high as if plugged into a power outlet.
    I think you mean current, not voltage. The voltage for all USB should be 5V +/- a few percent. Current may differ, but there are standards for low power and high power devices (100 and 500 mA IIRC). A powered USB port on a computer should provide about 500 mA or higher. If you look at your wall adapter, it should give > 500 mA output.

For me, my powered USB hub provides enough to nicely charge my Storm. I just worry about non-OEM wall chargers that provide high current (like 1, 1.5A).

Some ultraportable laptops don't provide enough power. Some USB devices (like some external drives) require more than one USB port can provide.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 12-03-08 at 05:40 PM.
    12-03-08 05:37 PM
    IMO it does just enough so that you don't lose battery power but doesn't add to it. Mine died and I tried to use the USB...no such luck.
    12-03-08 05:41 PM
    I think you mean current, not voltage. The voltage for all USB should be 5V +/- a few percent. Current may differ, but there are standards for low power and high power devices (100 and 500 mA IIRC).
    You are correct, my fault. As I was typing it, I had a feeling i was using the wrong word, but brain was fried due to the crappy day at work

Thanks for the correction...
    12-04-08 06:59 AM
    before the .75 update was leaked, this was actually a major problem with .65. i'm not sure if it's actually been resolved or not. basically plugging it in via usb would not even or barely charge the storm.
    12-04-08 07:21 AM
    Hey guys, would like to ask another question, I am a newbie, and I am supposed to get my Storm tomorrow - I plan on loading the DM on my laptop, if I don't have my laptop or charger with me at work....can I plug my Storm into any PC with the usb cable and it will charge?? Or does it have to be the PC that has my DM on it?
    12-04-08 07:47 AM
    Firemanjoe> As long as the PC is able to supply power via its USB port, it will charge the Storm. (Not all USB ports supply power though!)

As another poster stated, PC USB ports can supply UP TO 500 mA at 5V. But this power is shared by all USB devices connected to that single port (ex. you have a 4 port USB hub that itself is unpowered, connected to your PC. you then have a mouse, joystick, and Storm connected to that hub ... all 3 will share the 500 mA ... if you use a powered USB hub that has its own power adapter, then that's a different story).

So if the battery on the Storm is rated at 1400 mAh, it will take just under 3 hrs to charge (1400 / 500). If you read the wall charger that comes with the Storm, it is outputting 5V at 700 mA. So, it is providing 40% more power than the PC. Should take about 2 hrs to charge a Storm.

I have a different problem, which is that if my PC is in standby mode, then the Storm won't charge via USB, even though the USB port is still supplying power:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/usb...arging-111888/
    12-09-08 08:27 AM
    i've been charging my phone all night because it was on 20% and i charged it all night using the home charger that came with it and i woke up this morning to unplug it and it was on 30%. i did a battery pull and it was still at 30%. i dont understand why it didn't charge. it was charging fine the nights before. also, when i plug the charger, the lightning bolt wont show up until i press a button. is anyone else experiencing charging issues using the home charger?
    12-09-08 10:07 AM
    I don't know what I did...had the cable plugged into the monitor, thought I would just leave my phone on it overnight thinking it would charge it...WRONG, my battery was totally drained in the morning, couldn't even get it to turn on, dead. Had to completely charge it from a wall charger, could use it while plugged in after it charged awhile....
    12-09-08 10:08 AM
    I charge my phone only with the USB, hook it up while at work. I have yet to use or even unpack the wall charger. I used my car charger occasionally on the weekends. SO yes the USB port will charge a Storm.
    12-09-08 10:11 AM
    i've been charging my phone all night because it was on 20% and i charged it all night using the home charger that came with it and i woke up this morning to unplug it and it was on 30%. i did a battery pull and it was still at 30%. i dont understand why it didn't charge. it was charging fine the nights before. also, when i plug the charger, the lightning bolt wont show up until i press a button. is anyone else experiencing charging issues using the home charger?
    not trying to be cpt. obvious, but if your comp goes into hibernate mode, then the power to the usb's will shut off and charging will cease.. No idea if that's what happened, but i thought i'd throw it out there
    12-09-08 10:14 AM
    not trying to be cpt. obvious, but if your comp goes into hibernate mode, then the power to the usb's will shut off and charging will cease.. No idea if that's what happened, but i thought i'd throw it out there
    no no i never used a USB to charge it. im talking about my home charger. i dont charge my phone through my laptop. strictly home charger.
    12-09-08 10:16 AM
    no no i never used a USB to charge it. im talking about my home charger. i dont charge my phone through my laptop. strictly home charger.
    sorry, my bad..I misunderstood
    12-09-08 10:36 AM
    I have a different problem, which is that if my PC is in standby mode, then the Storm won't charge via USB, even though the USB port is still supplying power:http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/usb...arging-111888/
    I don't know what I did...had the cable plugged into the monitor, thought I would just leave my phone on it overnight thinking it would charge it...WRONG, my battery was totally drained in the morning, couldn't even get it to turn on, dead. Had to completely charge it from a wall charger, could use it while plugged in after it charged awhile....
    The other night I had my phone charging in the dock connected to my PC. The PC was set up to shut off in the middle of the night while I was sleeping (cutting off power to the USB). When I woke up the next morning it wouldn't turn on. Scared the heck out of me, because I thought I somehow bricked the phone.

I assumed with the power shut off that the Storm would just stop charging, but maintain its charge level. However, it was somehow completely drained (by the time I went to bed it had recharged to about 50%). All it needed was to be charged again, but nevertheless.... Make sure you have removed your Storm from the USB before shutting down your PC.
    12-09-08 11:03 AM
    Walkingrock and Huffy,

I had the same problem as you guys. Left my BB Storm on the desktop cradle connected via USB to my PC. Turned off the PC, and by the next morning the Storm was completely drained and wouldn't turn on.

Somehow, leaving the Storm in the cradle connected via USB to a computer that's off drains the batteries. Not only does it not charge, but it accelerates the drain. Not sure what's going on there.

Anyone have an elegant solution for allowing both USB data connection to a computer and for charging when the computer's off? Maybe a USB Y-cable? But those are hard to find in the micro-USB configuration used by BB.
    12-11-08 09:48 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD