Browsing Engadget before CES kicks off, and they spotted the Powermat.
    About 3/4 of the way down, you'll see the images or just see them here. Not sure if others figured out why the metal "contacts" exist on the backside under the battery cover but this makes perfect sense on the metal door and metal contacts.

Yes, I'm new to CB (but not to the world of cell phones. Just mainly been around HowardForums) so please inform if I didn't search properly if another thread exists but I didn't see one.

Engadget's new double-wide HQ rolls in to Vegas - Engadget
    01-05-09 09:30 PM
    if this is true...and it is a product coming soon.. This will be pretty sweet!
    01-05-09 09:32 PM
    hmm doesn't really seem in the least big practical to me because it's just as easy to simply plug it in and it doesn't take up as much space. It would also be easier to use the phone while it's charging if you just just the provided chord.

Maybe they will think of a better implementation, I could see it working good for a laptop or tv remote.
    01-05-09 09:34 PM
    The metal contacts are ground points to make sure the battery cover is on, if not, it can cause electrical issues.
    01-05-09 09:35 PM
    hmm doesn't really seem in the least big practical to me because it's just as easy to simply plug it in and it doesn't take up as much space. It would also be easier to use the phone while it's charging if you just just the provided chord.

Maybe they will think of a better implementation, I could see it working good for a laptop or tv remote.
    It can seem impractical for one cell, but if someone was charging multiple devices/cell phones, it helps cut down on the mess of wires for the "family". Some people want to remove the extra step of plugging it in and just sit it on a mat
    01-05-09 09:36 PM
    There is a product similar to this already out for a few devices, but it requires having a special battery door on your phone plugged into the power port. ( WildCharge )

This PowerMat looks like it works differently though.
    01-05-09 09:37 PM
    The Storm looks pretty slick in that photo
    01-05-09 09:37 PM
    It can seem impractical for one cell, but if someone was charging multiple devices/cell phones, it helps cut down on the mess of wires for the "family". Some people want to remove the extra step of plugging it in and just sit it on a mat
    Ahh I see your point. It's would be handy to charge multiple devices. It would actually be really cool if you could recharge anything that has a rechargeable battery. The only problem is that companies would probably have to start implementing a proprietary charging technology. Though maybe it will become a standard, who knows?
    01-05-09 09:38 PM
    This would be pretty cool, but then I would have to take my phone out of the silicon case every time.

I like the idea though...
    01-05-09 09:54 PM
    if you watch the video now it shows them Charging a bold Kinda cool
    01-09-09 12:44 PM
    I would be first one to buy it....VERY NICE!
    01-09-09 04:39 PM
    I guess that makes me the second.
    01-09-09 04:40 PM
    After seeing this, I am extremely worried about what I put on the back of my phone so far. Not only do I have the full ghost armor, but Verizon gave me this free skid plate thing. I'm pretty sure this will get in the way of using the charging mat.
    01-09-09 04:56 PM
    If you want more info- below is the link.

Pretty cool concept if you ask me.

Powermat - The future of wireless power has arrived
    01-09-09 05:32 PM
    I love the concept & would probably use it but that means I would have to remove my hard case everynight & so not doing that lol. OH well lol.
    01-09-09 07:51 PM
    this product was on one of the morning news shows the other day. it conducts power to about 6-8"s off the matt. They had lights, phones and a few other items. Would be dope to get rid of all the cords and clutter imo. not sure if a protector or anything would stop the charge the lights lit up within about a foot of the device. the also showed them in cop cars in LA i think. they had phones, flashlights and laptops on them.
    01-09-09 08:08 PM
    this product was on one of the morning news shows the other day. it conducts power to about 6-8"s off the matt. They had lights, phones and a few other items. Would be dope to get rid of all the cords and clutter imo. not sure if a protector or anything would stop the charge the lights lit up within about a foot of the device. the also showed them in cop cars in LA i think. they had phones, flashlights and laptops on them.
    ahhh...that's good news. I just read someone else's post about the metal battery cover being a part of the process of energy transfer, but from what you said, maybe not.
    01-09-09 08:11 PM
    Dope! This is looking sweet!
    01-09-09 08:15 PM
    The process is called induction, it doesn't require the device to actually touch anything. I've had an electric toothbrush that has charged this way for years.
    01-09-09 08:51 PM
    Thats pretty cool. Make it in a mouse pad. hear me out here. charge your cordless mouse, charge the cordless keyboard next to it and charge your BB, Tesla would be so proud to see Induction power his dream finally coming true.
    01-09-09 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD