Hello!

I need some help... I have the Storm and I am not happy with it at all. However, I cannot exchange it through Verizon because it's too early in my contract. I would like to get a regular Blackberry (unlocked.) Is it possible to transfer my Sim/Media card (I don't know which one it is) from my Storm to a regular Blackberry? By "regular" Blackberry, I just mean a non-touchscreen one. I guess my question is, if I got an unlocked Blackberry, could I use it on my current Verizon plan? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-29-09 05:05 PM
    You won't be able to put your Sim Card in and have everything work. The Sim in the Storm is just meant to work outside of the US. It does nothing at all, just takes up space, you could remove it and nothing would happen.

Your best bet would be to buy a Verizon phone though, no need to unlock it. Just call Verizon and they can activate it for you. Just back up your Storm in Desktop Manager then restore when you get your new phone. Or use the Device Switch Wizard.

An Att or Tmobile phone will not work on Verizon being they are GSM phones and Verizon is CDMA. Sprint phones might work, but I don't think so. So about your only choice is a Verizon branded phone.
    11-29-09 05:41 PM
    Oh and about your memory card. You could probably just remove it from the Storm and put it in your new BB. The best way to do it though is save everything on the media card to your computer. Put your card in the new BB and go to Options>Memory>BB Button>Format Card. Then pulg your new BB in to computer and transfer everything back over.
    11-29-09 05:46 PM
    ridesno is right. An unlocked BB isn't necessary since you will just be using it on VZW. The only reason to unlock a BB is to use it on another network either abroad or here on AT&T or T-Mobile. If you're not going to do that, you will not need an unlocked device.

As for getting another phone, getting another VZW device would be the best option. If you get another phone from another carrier, VZW might give you a hard time about activating it on their network. AT&T phones and T-Mobile phones will not work on Verizon's network, and Sprint and (formerly) Alltel's phones need to be added to VZW's Approved ESN List to work on their service, and they don't just add the numbers and tell you to have a good day. So, again, this will be difficult if you don't get a VZW phone.

As for getting a new device, you really only have three options:
    1. Go to Verizon and purchase a new one for full price. It will be expensive but it's guaranteed to work and it will be covered under a warranty and you can have insurance on it.
    2. You can buy one off of EBay or Craigslist or here. These items may or may not work, they don't come with a warranty and cannot be covered under VZW/Asurion's insurance since you are not the original purchaser. These devices also may have further problems, such as they are damaged, have outstanding bills (resulting in an inability to be activated on another line), or any number of other problems. Be wary because, if you're sold a faulty device or a device that can't be activated, it is almost impossible to get in contact with these people again.
    3. You can purchase a device from a friend or family member. These devices, again since you didn't originally buy it from VZW, don't come with a warranty or insurance either. They can also come with problems like the ones in No. 2, but these people you know. That means that you may not have the same difficulty contacting these people as you would the people in No. 2, but that isn't guaranteed.

So, if you don't want to overpay for a phone, you can stick with the phone you have or buy from someone else. But if you want the warranty and whatnot, you will have to pay for it.

Good luck and remember, you don't need to have an unlocked device to use it on VZW. If you need help, feel free to contact me. Just BBM me and I'll respond right away. Right now I'm using my Tour, so that would be the best PIN to use for the next few weeks...
    11-29-09 08:30 PM
    Great, that makes sense! Thank you for your help!
    11-29-09 09:42 PM
    No problem. I do what I can.
    11-29-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD