Check out the latest Macbooks. The whole touchpad depresses like a button (just like the storm) and you can even tell there's a gap it's so tight on the tollerences. IT CAN BE DONE. Just not by RIM's weak engineers apperently.
    Not quite correct. I have a new unibody macbook. The very back of the touchpad does NOT click. It's like the button is hinged from the back. You can click just about anywhere on the pad, but it has difference clicks JUST like the issues with the storm. The storm's click screen originates on a center axis. Not same as macbook. With a center axis, there has to be a bigger gap so it can move in all directions. Essentially, the macbook trackpad only clicks down/forward, so it needs less gap.
    12-09-08 04:50 PM
    Well the one I looked at felt like the whole thing depressed, but it's not like I took a magnifying glass to it since it depresses very little and is super tight on the tollenrences. Either way, the Storm's creen only needs to go up and down on the Z axis. It does not need the gap around the screen. All it needed was some guides. It can be tighter, the damn thing doesn't need to slosh around in order to go up and down. Case in point, other buttons that work like this. Main button on an iPhone for example. No gap and it works up and down. (yeah yeah, it's smaller, but it can be done is the bottom line) It just would have taken a bit more money and a better design, that's all. I'm sure they'll learn from it for the next revision, whenever that happens.
    12-09-08 05:01 PM
    just curious....how can you confirm that dust gets trapped there....not doubting you though
    Because you can see the dust inside the screen! still very upset about that!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dus...screen-102849/
    12-09-08 05:11 PM
    Case in point, other buttons that work like this. Main button on an iPhone for example. No gap and it works up and down. (yeah yeah, it's smaller, but it can be done is the bottom line) It just would have taken a bit more money and a better design, that's all. I'm sure they'll learn from it for the next revision, whenever that happens.
    I fully agree. I was just saying I think the macbook trackpad is different because its axis is not in the middle. I think the problem is that the Storm's screen only needs to go "up and down" yet they have it floating on a single z axis like you mentioned and instead of going strictly "up and down" is just tilts when you click it in the corners.

It should have had MUCH tighter tolerences and have the click button behind the screen on ALL 4 corners PLUS center, I think this would have eliminated the gap and click issues.
    12-09-08 05:14 PM
    Ok. many of us were worried about the gap and were told it is sealed to protect the phone.... NOT TRUE! I installed an IS face cover I picked up from BestBuy until I could get my BSE full body skin and solution got behind the screen. My phone is not usable right now and I am hoping after it dries out it will return to service. If you are installing a cover, do so at risk to your device. I won't ever do it again.

Another design flaw that cannot be fixed by these infamous "updates" that people think is going to be the saviour of this phone.
    12-09-08 05:15 PM
    I seriously don't get it, why would you want to apply that much solution in the first place. I put one on and no liquid between the crack.
    12-09-08 05:24 PM
    I've had a Storm for about 4 months and haven't gotten one spec of dust under my screen. I don't know what's up with you all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 05:31 PM
    I definitely have a few specs of dust or something under my screen. It's not anything to really complain about, they're tiny and there is literally only like 2 or 3 under there, but they're definitely there.
    12-09-08 05:34 PM
    As for the IS, I have used them on all kinds of devices ... they ALWAYS make it very clear that you are supposed to leave your device powered down for 24 hrs.

There is a reason for that, and it's not so the screen looks all pretty.
    12-09-08 05:52 PM
    Yeah I have a little dust under mine too but nothing distracting. I'm just worried what the first year will bring
    12-09-08 05:54 PM
    Dumb question, but are you guys sure it is dust, and not pixel related?
    12-09-08 06:08 PM
    I've had a Storm for about 4 months and haven't gotten one spec of dust under my screen. I don't know what's up with you all.

That's because you have the regular Storm. They have the Limited Edition Dust Storm. BIG DIFFERENCE CX... I'm surprised you didn't know about that model being out.

Do you use a holster?...
    12-09-08 06:58 PM
    Sshhh! You weren't supposed to tell anyone Civic! Damn. Not really. I do sometimes, but mostly in my hand or pocket when I was using it.

12-09-08 07:11 PM
    I don't have dust under my screen... there is a little in the gap, but it doesn't bother me, it doesn't affect the phone or the screen...
    12-09-08 07:16 PM
    I don't know what to do. I have a leather sleeve from Verizon which I like but I also bought a Silicone cover from Verizon as well which I really like.

Of course the Storm with the silicone cover won't fit into the sleeve. I'd like to keep the Silicone cover but concerned that dust will get under the screen. I just got the Storm on 12/17/08. I believe the phone was made on 12/10/08, but I know there haven't been any hardware revisions.

I really wish I could know for sure if dust will get under the screen or not.

What to do what to do....
    12-19-08 09:07 PM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD