...what am I doing wrong?

I make sure the song is highlighted, hit the BB button and there is no option for setting it "as" something or mentioning of ringtone.

Can anyone give me a step by step process of this?
    12-08-08 04:06 PM
    do it from the player..hit BB button while the song is playing..you'll see "set as ringtone" there
    12-08-08 04:10 PM
    do it from the player..hit BB button while the song is playing..you'll see "set as ringtone" there

Correctamundo. I have the Misfits "All **** Breaks Loose" as the ringtone on mine .
    12-08-08 04:16 PM
    It's worth pointing out this just makes that mp3 your default ringtone. You need to go under SOUNDS ---> SET CONTACT ALERT in order to set unique mp3 ringtones for different callers in your contact list.
    12-08-08 04:48 PM
    Wow, thanks for the info guys!

Unfortunately I tried the suggesting of hitting the BB button when the song is playing and nothing shows up as far as setting the ringtone.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I transferred my MP3 files from Napster as I'm a subscriber. Does that matter?
    Last edited by z0diac; 12-08-08 at 05:58 PM.
    12-08-08 05:55 PM
    This is sort of off topic but I'll try anyway.

I loaded a few short mp3 clips onto my microSD card to use as ringtones. What's the right folder or directory that i should put it in? As of right now, the phone is detecting all of them as music files so the media player is actually playing my ringtones when I use it.

EDIT: Figured it out, settings weren't right and I never saw the folders properly
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 12-08-08 at 06:54 PM.
    12-08-08 05:58 PM
    It's worth pointing out this just makes that mp3 your default ringtone. You need to go under SOUNDS ---> SET CONTACT ALERT in order to set unique mp3 ringtones for different callers in your contact list.
    OR you can go to contacts> edit>custom ringtones/alerts, and do it there..both work
    12-08-08 06:03 PM
    ...what am I doing wrong?

I make sure the song is highlighted, hit the BB button and there is no option for setting it "as" something or mentioning of ringtone.

Can anyone give me a step by step process of this?
    Hey man, if you have music in your memory card and want to set it as a ringtone its quite easy.

1. Click Sound Profile from you home screen

2. Go to "Set Ring tones/alerts"

3. Select whatever you want to set i.e. phone sets the ringtone for when you recieve a call

4. if nothing is up except the pre-loaded ringtones choose the first option "browse" (if using the contacts method above start here)

5. select the music folder and click ONCE(if you click twice you will pick the first song on the list), be patient if you have alot of music it will take a while once the list populates you can choose from any song on there.

HINT: if you tap(not click) the screen to highlight a song and let it be highlighted for a couple seconds its whole name will appear since in the browse list you get the file name which isn't very useful. Click to choose that song.

Kinda a pain but it lets you have all the control you want

let me know if this helps!!!
    Last edited by tbrakef; 12-08-08 at 07:39 PM. Reason: not specific enough
    12-08-08 07:30 PM
    Hey man, if you have music in your memory card and want to set it as a ringtone its quite easy.

1. Click Sound Profile from you home screen

2. Go to "Set Ring tones/alerts"

3. Select whatever you want to set i.e. phone sets the ringtone for when you recieve a call

4. if nothing is up except the pre-loaded ringtones choose the first option "browse" (if using the contacts method above start here)

5. select the music folder and click ONCE(if you click twice you will pick the first song on the list), be patient if you have alot of music it will take a while once the list populates you can choose from any song on there.

HINT: if you tap(not click) the screen to highlight a song and let it be highlighted for a couple seconds its whole name will appear since in the browse list you get the file name which isn't very useful. Click to choose that song.

Kinda a pain but it lets you have all the control you want

let me know if this helps!!!
    Alright, I followed your instructions and everything went accordingly until I tried to access songs from the artist folder. When I accessed the folder, it did not display any songs, as though the folders were empty, though I know that's not the case because I can open and play them in media mode....

This seems more complicated than I had thought...
    12-08-08 10:12 PM
    ok... how do you have your media arranged on your media card?
    I used the desktop app "media transfer" to transfer mp3 files directly into my card
    12-08-08 10:18 PM
    Do you guys usually just use full songs as MP3's, or do you cut them down to the part of the song you want...?
    12-08-08 10:20 PM
    You can you use the full songs on mine no problem. I just went to the media manager that comes in the desktop manager software no hitches with that at all. It works fine.... my folders for my music are: mediacard/blackberry/music
    all my mp3's are in this folder, i suggest restructuring your memory card like. Then try to use the steps above.
    Last edited by tbrakef; 12-08-08 at 10:32 PM.
    12-08-08 10:22 PM
    ok... how do you have your media arranged on your media card?
    I used the desktop app "media transfer" to transfer mp3 files directly into my card
    Like I said, I have Napster and can sync devices up to it, and my Storm has this option. I just drag and drop files to the transfer depot in the Napster program and it transfers it...
    12-09-08 08:57 AM
    I'm sure you can't do it cause of napster. I would try to copy some files with the media manager and see if it will let you.... other than that napster may have the files like locked... I don't use napster all of my music are cd rips.
    Last edited by tbrakef; 12-09-08 at 09:11 AM.
    12-09-08 09:02 AM
    Hey guys, I'm basically having the same issue as the thread starter. Any ideas?

I downloaded a song off V Cast music with Rhapsody, and want to get it as my primary ringtone.

I basically get the same "errors" as the first guy - when I go into browse, my song doesn't show up.
    12-09-08 09:54 AM
    I'm sure you can't do it cause of napster. I would try to copy some files with the media manager and see if it will let you.... other than that napster may have the files like locked... I don't use napster all of my music are cd rips.
    Well just like iTunes it's DRM protected, but I would think I wouldn't be restricted to do this. I'm going to copy some personal MP3s and see if that works.

I don't even have Desktop manager (haven't had the chance to install it as I've been overseas for awhile)....
    12-09-08 10:45 AM
    perhaps off topic, but is there an easier way to go through my 600+ mp3s on the storm to select one than scrolling forever?

edit: .75 if it matters
    Last edited by LuciferRex; 02-05-09 at 10:00 AM.
    02-05-09 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD