I've gotten several e-mails with .wmv files and I can't play them. It says that the "media being played is of an unsupported format". Did I miss a setting or can the Storm really not play a .wmv file?
    12-31-08 05:55 PM
    Please see View Document

BlackBerry� Storm™ 9500 smartphone and BlackBerry� Storm™ 9530

Supported formats
    File Format / Extension Component Codec Notes RTSP Streaming

MP4

M4A

3GP

3GP2
    Video H.264 Baseline Profile, 480x360 pixels, up to 2 Mbps, 30 frames per second Supported
    MPEG4 Simple Profile Level 3, 480x360 pixels, up to 2 Mbps, 30 frames per second Supported
    H.263 Profile 0 and 3, Level 30 Supported
    Audio AAC-LC, AAC+, eAAC+ Supported
    AMR-NB Supported
    QCELP EVRC
    AVI Video MPEG4 Simple Profile Level 3, 480x360 pixels, up to 2 Mbps, 30 frames per second Supported
    Audio MP3

ASF

WMV

WMA
    Video Windows� Media Video 9 WMV3, Simple Profile, 480x360 pixels, 30 frames per second
    Audio Windows Media Audio 9 Supported
    Windows Media 10 Standard/Professional Supported
    MP3 Audio MP3

Recommended video format for local playback
    File Format / Extension Component Codec Notes
    MP4 Video H.264 Baseline Profile, 480x360 pixels, up to 2 Mbps, 30 frames per second
    Audio AAC-LC

Those are supported to PLAY on the device when the file resides on the device. For email attachments see View Document

Attachment Type Minimum BlackBerry Device Software version BlackBerry Device with Color Screen Required

* Microsoft� Word (DOC)
    * Microsoft Excel� (XLS)
    * Microsoft PowerPoint� (PPT)
    * Corel� WordPerfect� (WPD)
    * Adobe� Acrobat� PDF (PDF)
    ASCII text (TXT)
    * Rich Text Format files (RTF)

Note: If a PDF file is password-protected, you will be prompted to type the password in order to view it on the BlackBerry device.

2.6 (BlackBerry devices based on C++)

3.6 (BlackBerry devices based on Java) No
    HTML 3.6 No
    Zip archive (ZIP)

Note: Password-encrypted ZIP files are not supported. 3.7 No
    MP3-encoded voice mail playback - up to 500KB file size 4.2 Yes

* JPG
    * BMP
    * GIF
    * PNG
    * TIFF

Note: Multi-page TIFF images are not supported. (See KB04779 for more information.) 3.8 Yes
    12-31-08 06:00 PM
    So the answer appears to be NO? I tried saving the file and then playing it....that didn't work either. Somebody has to know how to play a .wmv file you get in an e-mail! Come on guys!
    12-31-08 06:27 PM
    How did you go about saving the file? did you download the attachment or did you hit menu > save?
    12-31-08 06:28 PM
    wmv works fine on my Storm... try saving the file onto the storm first then playing it....also try using mobiola Xplayer...works great for me
    12-31-08 06:34 PM
    I highlighted the attached file, went to the menu and clicked save, then went to videos under media (it was there) and tried to play it. I got the same "unsupported format" msg that I got when I tried to play it as an attachment. Any ideas?
    12-31-08 06:43 PM
    If it's a WMV encoded using the DivX codec it won't work.
    12-31-08 06:46 PM
    It may be encoded w/ DivX. It wouldn't even show up as a file when I tried to view it using Mobiola. Bummer!
    12-31-08 07:16 PM
    I USE to be able to play them on my Blackberry Storm - until a week ago when I upgraded to the new 5.0 OS - now all of the sudden - they will not play - when they did before! Not good at all - I am considering changing phones now as I need to be able to view them on the road on this Storm - not sure what changed when I went to the 5.0 OS - but it's not good!
    11-29-09 11:19 PM
    I get a message
    "Attachment exceeds the maximum download size of 2.9 mb"
    only on mail attchment
    when i download the some file from the web it's totally ok.
    I use BIS on Verizon.
    11-30-09 02:04 AM
    I USE to be able to play them on my Blackberry Storm - until a week ago when I upgraded to the new 5.0 OS - now all of the sudden - they will not play - when they did before! Not good at all - I am considering changing phones now as I need to be able to view them on the road on this Storm - not sure what changed when I went to the 5.0 OS - but it's not good!

I have some video files on my memory card that played perfectly until I upgraded to 5.0. Now all I get is audio. Files were ripped with Cucusoft in MP4 format. Not a big deal since I don't really watch video on my phone but kind of a bummer that the video capabilities of the phone got downgraded with the upgrade.
    11-30-09 09:58 AM
    I have some video files on my memory card that played perfectly until I upgraded to 5.0. Now all I get is audio. Files were ripped with Cucusoft in MP4 format. Not a big deal since I don't really watch video on my phone but kind of a bummer that the video capabilities of the phone got downgraded with the upgrade.
    But, but ... just think, you can now <gasp> "flick scroll"!!!

... BFD.

11-30-09 10:29 AM
    anyone find a fix for this? I too had videos that were WMV on my memory card that once played until 5. "0 my goodness it doesn't work anymore" came out.
    12-07-09 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD