Has anyone had this issue with their Storm?

I am using Desktop Redirector and cannot open word/excel documents sent to the redirector email account? It recognizes the file is an xls worksheet but it says the attachment cannot be opened on this device?

I have a simliar issue opening a .wmv file using my BIS gmail account as well? I also cannot seeem to stream videos from CNN anymore, I could on my 8830?

Is there an explanation of either issue? What are the supported video types we can open?
    11-24-08 10:49 AM
    Bump....no answers anyone?
    11-24-08 01:30 PM
    I am having the same issue. I cannot open any attachments. I completed the install of doc to go, and still get the error: This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device. I have also tried to open .jpg attachments, and get the same error message. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    11-24-08 03:05 PM
    I was able to open email attachments, then I used the DM "switch device" action to move all of my data, email, etc. from my curve. After that, I couldn't open attachments any more, it must have brought the service books over from the curve (different provider). I have to remove and re-add my email, then opening attachments was fine again. In case you guys did this as well...
    11-24-08 03:16 PM
    i had the same issue and i called verizon. They had me go into settings and do something. I just can't remember bc i have called them soo many times in the two days i have had my storm! lol

but they will take care of it in a matter of mins
    11-24-08 03:42 PM
    OK, i feel stupid. Come to find out, that since I use the desktop redirector, I cannot get attachments. The desktop redirector does not support them. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
    11-24-08 04:53 PM
    The attachments will come through your email and then the docs to go software should be able to open it from there.
    11-25-08 08:57 AM
    I am having the same issue. I get the attachment in the email, it just tells me "This attachment type cannot be viewed your your device" I even tried to install the 30 day trial of docs to go premium. Any idea's? Is there a setting that I am missing?
    12-10-08 10:50 AM
    I had similar problems with attachments that were too big.

I just used opera mini instead of BB browser, and download directly to my sd card... Opens fine then. (if a supported file).

No experience @ all with redirector. Sorry.

Good luck!

P~

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 10:54 AM
    I confirmed that this is due to behavior of desktop redirector. The way it was explained to me is that the email messages I forwarded to you and that your device can only open the mail and not the attachment. The reason for this I am sure has something to do with encoding etc.

Here is the link to the BB KB article confirming this:

View Document
    Last edited by griff2ooo; 12-10-08 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added KB article
    12-10-08 10:58 AM
    I confirmed that this is due to behavior of desktop redirector. The way it was explained to me is that the email messages I forwarded to you and that your device can only open the mail and not the attachment. The reason for this I am sure has something to do with encoding etc.
    Thank you, this is good to know.
    12-10-08 11:07 AM
    If you are receiving this error message when you try to open an attachment to an email this might help. My problem was that I did not have the "Blackberry Attachment Service" loaded into my phone applications. Connected my phone to Desktop Manager and sure enough the Blackberry Attachment Service Box was unchecked. I checked the box and completed the add application through Desktop Manager and I was set. NOTE: The messages that I had received prior to adding the Attachment Service still gave the error message when I tried to open them. But all messages received after installing the Attachment Service opened without any problems. If this does not fix your problem search Blackberry.com forums they listed some other fixes for this problem. The one stated above solved my problem.
    12-17-08 03:25 PM
    If you are receiving this error message when you try to open an attachment to an email this might help. My problem was that I did not have the "Blackberry Attachment Service" loaded into my phone applications. Connected my phone to Desktop Manager and sure enough the Blackberry Attachment Service Box was unchecked. I checked the box and completed the add application through Desktop Manager and I was set. NOTE: The messages that I had received prior to adding the Attachment Service still gave the error message when I tried to open them. But all messages received after installing the Attachment Service opened without any problems. If this does not fix your problem search Blackberry.com forums they listed some other fixes for this problem. The one stated above solved my problem.
    You are indeed right when this happens for regular email but when using desktop redirector, it will never let you open an attachment. This is one of the downfalls and as you can see is listed in the Blackberry KB.
    12-17-08 03:55 PM
    I checked the box and completed the add application through Desktop Manager and I was set. NOTE: The messages that I had received prior to adding the Attachment Service still gave the error message when I tried to open them. But all messages received after installing the Attachment Service opened without any problems.
    I've had BlackBerry Attachment Service installed from the beginning, but still can't open .wmv email attachments. "This attachment type cannot be viewed using your device." OK running .wmv files from the Media player.

Any ideas?
    12-18-08 08:48 PM
    My wife was able to open a .wmv attachment sent to her mail. It gives you a warning about making sure you have a data plan because its a large file. It took a bit to dl and it opens your video player to watch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:15 PM
    Tried again today with smaller (~800K) attached .wmv files. They open OK.

Maybe some files are coded differently than others (?). If they're simply too big, shouldn't that result in a warning message?
    12-19-08 02:29 PM
    solution found

when u get the attachment, don't try to open it. instead click 'download attachment'. it'll ask you if your sure and then it'll ask where to save. save it to your videos folder and once its completed, exit out of the email app and go into media -> videos. it'll be there!

note: in order to download an attachment, you gotta click on the "1 attachment" link on the TOP of the email, not the bottom. The bottom will not give you the option to download
    03-06-09 10:43 PM
    I experienced the same attachment problems after installing re-director. I spent 2 hours at Verizon, and another hour on the phone with tech support before I was convinced that I am just not going to be able to open attachments. What made me really mad though was not only could I not open attachments in my work e-mail, but my personal e-mail won't open attachments either.

I have not tried any of the suggestions yet, but I will.
    03-06-09 11:09 PM
    I have a Storm 2 with v5 and have spent a couple of hours on this with some pretty wizzy IS people at work. They have confirmed it is a restriction of the functions of desktop redirector. Attachments sent direct to another mail address (not redirected) work perfectly.
    01-13-10 10:09 AM
    Tried again today with smaller (~800K) attached .wmv files. They open OK.

Maybe some files are coded differently than others (?). If they're simply too big, shouldn't that result in a warning message?
    Sorry to necro a thread, but I felt this a worthy addition.

The issue is since the old message came in when the Message Service wasn't installed, they won't open. All new attachments that come in should work. If you need an old attachment, just forward it to yourself and when you receive the forward... that attachment should open.

I came to this thread looking for my answer, which it provided. I just happened to figured out the solution the the other question here, so I figured I would add it to help out others.

Once again, sorry for the necro.
    04-09-10 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD