I bought my storm off ebay and I'm wondering if I can tell online somehow how old it is. I keep seeing people referring to the vzw and/or rim warranty and I'm wondering if I ever have a problem with mine would it be under any warranty. And would it be under warranty because I bought didn't buy it from vzw directly. Just curious...anyone know about this? Thanks
    Last edited by shmancy3; 03-24-09 at 07:33 AM. Reason: correct spelling
    03-24-09 07:31 AM
    even if you didnt buy it from vzw, as long as your plan has the insurance, and or extended warranty, you can get another one, 30 days from activation date, or longer if you have the extended warranty. Even if it breaks youd just get another one from Asurion
    03-24-09 07:57 AM
    even if you didnt buy it from vzw, as long as your plan has the insurance, and or extended warranty, you can get another one, 30 days from activation date, or longer if you have the extended warranty. Even if it breaks youd just get another one from Asurion
    Actuallly, i'm not entirely sure this statement is true. Every phone i have had w/ VZW has been purchased through them. But I have seen in several threads people saying that they aren't covered if you didn't purchase them through Verizon.

Also to my knowledge, if your phone was purchased elsewhere, you are going to have to go to THEM (in your case e-bay, which isn't really of any use) should you have any problems, other than technical, with the phone.

Best bet.... call Verizon and ask. The only stupid question is one you don't ask, and then you know the answer, not what people "think" on this forum....like me. ha ha ha
    03-24-09 08:03 AM
    i bought a voyager, and an EnV2 off of craigslist, and they both were covered,(broke the screen on my voyager) i made sure of it. As long as you have either the insurance, and or the extended warranty(on your plan before you get the new phone), they will warrant it like it is a new phone.

So im not "thinking" anything. Either im taking advantage of some loophole, or the verizon people im talking to are dumb.

ha ha ha
    Last edited by Swift20; 03-24-09 at 08:13 AM.
    03-24-09 08:11 AM
    I can't speak about the insurance, but I know in general (not cell phone specific) most warentys aren't transferable.

as for age of the phone there are 2 ages:

1) manufacture date (listed on the box the storm was originally sold in)

2) the date of Purchase (effectivly starting the 1 year manufacturers warenty) from an autorized seller.

You mentioned you got your storm from Ebay but didn't diisclose if the purchase was NEW from an authorized seller of if it was a "used device"
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 03-24-09 at 09:23 AM.
    03-24-09 09:20 AM
    I can't speak about the insurance, but I know in general (not cell phone specific) most warentys aren't transferable.

as for age of the phone there are 2 ages:

1) manufacture date (listed on the box the storm was originally sold in)

2) the date of Purchase (effectivly starting the 1 year manufacturers warenty) from an autorized seller.

You mentioned you got your storm from Ebay but didn't diisclose if the purchase was NEW from an authorized seller of if it was a "used device"
    It was a used phone and it didn't come with the box. So I guess I can assume that I won't know how old this particular unit is unless I take it to vzw and have them check it for me?!

Another question, can you get insurance on a phone purchased like mine was? I thought you couldn't get it. Can you? If so, how do you purchase it?

Thanks!!!
    03-24-09 12:04 PM
    yes you should be able to get insurance on it. Just go to verizon and let them know. It's like 5 bucks a month or something.
    03-24-09 12:10 PM
    Coming from experience you can't get insurance from Verizon. I bought a phone off my friend like two years ago. It was the xv6700. It was brand new he just got it through his insurance and was getting rid of it to go to the iphone. Low and behold Verizon would not allow me to put insurance on it because I didn't buy the phone from them. Long story short a year later it fell out of my hand and the screen broke. It was a piece of crap phone to begin with and I just waited a few months using a dumb phone and got the Storm.
    03-24-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD