I have a nasty habit of hitting the mute button with my face during a call Is there anyway to have the screen lock or something?
    11-22-08 09:02 AM
    don't think so but the screen won't do anything unless you press on it
    11-22-08 09:15 AM
    Ya I kept doing the same thing yesterday to all my callers....surely there is some quick fix we just haven't found yet.
    11-22-08 10:33 AM
    try the hard key - top left of the device for locking
    11-22-08 10:34 AM
    I did this as well while trying to hold the phone with my shoulder. Today I'm going to try hitting the lock key while on a call and see if that works.

Ultimately this should be a good thing for me because it will force me to stop holding my phone this way. Everytime I drop my phone it is because I'm trying to hold it this way. Hopefully not being able to do this will keep me from dropping my storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 10:37 AM
    having the same problem.
    11-22-08 10:39 AM
    I was about to post this same thing!
    11-22-08 10:40 AM
    The lock key does not work. If there was some way to set the default so the number pad was up while making a call rather than the stupid mute keys I would be happier.
    11-22-08 10:52 AM
    driving me nuts also.......

I keep muting calls and yelling because I dont realize it.................
    11-22-08 12:54 PM
    Change the backlight timeout to 10secs.
    11-22-08 01:00 PM
    No you cannot lock the screen, I got my storm before 8am yesterday and noticed by 10am. I called customer service and spoke with them for almost about an hour about various questions.

The customer service rep got her supervisor, who got a trainer who has had a storm for over a month and he said that currently there is no way to lock the screen while in a call. Rather you push the lock button on the top left of the phone or even if you go to into the menu and hit lock, currently neither will work.

P.s. Does anyone know how to put it in standby mode? I bought the custom Storm leather holster at the Verizon store yesterday and that seems to be the only thing to put it in standby. I figured there would be a button you could push.

I know you can lock it, but if you bump it the screen lights up. When I went out to the bar last night I noticed I bumped it in my pocket and it was lit up, I have a feeling this is going to drain battery life A LOT
    11-22-08 01:06 PM
    any one figure this out????
    11-22-08 01:10 PM
    Between Mute, Speaker and flash, I'm all over the damned screen while talking on the phone, there HAS to be a fix for this! I hope I don't 'Drunk talk' I'm liable to run my whole contact list off the road LOL
    11-23-08 05:16 PM
    What do you think the chances are that this will be fixed with the OS that's supposed to come out in the next few days? I'm afraid this (lack of) feature is a deal breaker for me, since my clients will surely think I'm an ***** if I keep hitting mute/flash/add participant while I'm on the phone with them. If that means I have to go back to the Curve, then so be it.
    11-23-08 10:19 PM
    i found a fix that works for me. I just hit the escape key and it asks me if i want to exit to the home screen. I click yes and now i am at the menu. (Just like with my pearl, etc.)

To RETURN to the phone screen... just tap the Green Phone button.
    To End the call from either screen the Red Phone (end) button still works.

or just tap home screen from the bottom of the call screen
    Last edited by dirtyjersey; 11-23-08 at 10:54 PM. Reason: duh
    11-23-08 10:50 PM
    i found a fix that works for me. I just hit the escape key and it asks me if i want to exit to the home screen. I click yes and now i am at the menu. (Just like with my pearl, etc.)

To RETURN to the phone screen... just tap the Green Phone button.
    To End the call from either screen the Red Phone (end) button still works.

or just tap home screen from the bottom of the call screen
    Yes, this is prob. one way around the prob. for now, but what a pain in the ***!

Of all of the things wrong or quirky about the Storm that have been listed in these forums, most of which can and will be fixed via software updates, this one is a MAJOR **** up. I can't believe RIM didn't anticipate this problem or experience it in testing, WTF!
    Did Apple patent their proximity sensor capability and RIM couldn't find a workaround or what? Or did they just drop the ball here.

Can this even be fixed via a software update?

I am somewhat familiar with how a capacitive screen works. Like I said "somewhat" familiar. A capacitive screen carries or holds a charge, and when a conductive surface (finger) comes in contact with it, it draws a charge off of that area of the screen. Sensors on the edges of the screen sense this draw in the charge, and in a sense, triangulate where on the screen the touch came from. (Right?) Maybe this next part is wrong but... If a finger touch draws some charge and affects the screen, wouldn't a larger skin area like a cheek draw a larger charge? There by letting the phone differentiate a cheek or palm, from a finger? It seems like the sensitivity of the screen that is being touched could be adjusted in such a way that a "larger than a finger" (cheek) could be differentiated from a "finger sized" touch. That way when the screen detects the touch of a large skin surface, (cheek) the screen click diode could be deactivated until it no longer detected the large skin surface.
    Anyone?
    11-24-08 12:03 AM
    I made a post about this the other day, and half the people thought I was crazy saying i pressed too hard against my shoulder, or thought I had fat cheeks, but I'm glad that the majority of people are realizing this too. It's extremely easy to do and hard NOT to do unless you are holding the phone with your hand.

I still love the phone, but I keep clicking buttons with my face when i'm on a call. For now, the clicking the home screen button is a good enough fix for me until they hopefully address it in a software update.
    11-24-08 07:31 AM
    Oh yeah I have this problem too and if not resolved soon it's going back becuase I will not make concessions for something as simple as cheek mute!
    Also the LAG time is becoming a real deal breaker for me too.

It's my own fault I guess. I have had exprerience with all of them and therefore I can compare and this STORM doesn't even come close to the efficiency of the BOLD. No way, no how!
    11-26-08 07:14 AM
    I also have this problem, and what's worse - I have the problem even while using my bluetooth! This is because I put my phone in my pocket while on my earpiece. If the phone gets bumped while in my pocket, it will flash or mute (whichever key was pressed).

So, what I have had to do is get back to the home screen after I'm in the call. However, for those of you who use Mute during conf calls (like I do -- all the time), you have to get back to the call screen to mute the phone. This is NOT a fast way to mute. Sucks.
    11-26-08 07:28 AM
    There is an auto lock app out there (Do a search on google, I got mine for free)and in the options for auto-lock there is an option for Action when on a call and you can set it to Lock.

Edit:
    Nevermind, the phone still does not lock even when this setting is on lock. Sorry.
    Last edited by squally123; 11-26-08 at 07:38 AM.
    11-26-08 07:34 AM
    Go into the app store on your phone and search talklock.....all one word just like that. It's 2.99 and it's AMAZING! Solves the problem right away. It locks the screen any time a call connects, incoming or outgoing, then it has a little button that you push and slide (kind of like the iphone) to unlock it. If you want to relock it during the call there's an option for it in the menu. When the call is disconnected the screen unlocks automatically.
    05-05-09 06:48 AM
    StormSlider works better. When I was using TalkLock my memory was only in the 20mb zone when starting, after i removed it for StormSlider my memory increased to almost 40MB. Plus it takes care of the lock problem in .131 I believe it's the same cost, 2.99.
    05-05-09 12:08 PM
    Try screenlock. It's free and works great.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/screenlock-148165/
    05-05-09 12:17 PM
    There is a free app on crackberry to lock the screen while on a call. I downloaded it and installed it right after I got my storm. Now for the bad news, I can't remember where I found it. I looked on my Application list and see it is called ScreenLock. It works great.
    05-05-09 12:17 PM
    Screen lock is great. alot of free apps can be found on the Blackberry Storm Wiki page:
    BlackBerry Storm Wiki: The BlackBerry Storm Wiki with all the information you want to know!

go to storm ota applications
    05-05-09 12:21 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD