I upgraded to 5.0.0.328 by downloading the .exe from the Verizon webpage, shrinking, then uploading to my Storm. The annoying thing is that now every time I plug my Storm into my computer and run DM, it pops up with the update for .328 because it senses that there are more things to add (since I shrunk some stuff out). I do NOT have the OS software loaded on my computer anymore - DM is checking and recognizing the 5.0.0.328 via the internet. It takes time and is a PIA.
    Also, I cannot restore one of my old apps because when I try to do that, it wants to also add in all the crud via the OS update. I made the mistake of hitting next at one point and sure enough it was trying to do the .328 upgrade via DM via the internet. Luckily it failed for some reason, so I still have my shrunk version installed.

Is there a way to keep DM from checking for OS updates?!?!?
    10-28-09 11:22 AM
    I thought there was an option somewhere that allows you to uncheck auto check for updates. I'm not sure though, never took the time to look.
    10-28-09 11:25 AM
    1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop
    Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.
    10-28-09 11:47 AM
    To lainsauto - thanks for the help, but that appears to have gotten rid of the option for DM to check for updates to the DM software itself. It is still checking for the software update for the Storm when I plug it in.
    I did what you descirbed above, including the "X" next to BlackBerry Auto update AND unchecking the "Check for software updates" box.

Any other ideas?
    10-28-09 12:17 PM
    Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm seeing something similar. I upgraded my OS a couple weeks ago and now every time I start up DM and plug in my BB, it tells me there are Application Updates Available even though I already did the upgrade. It's starting to annoy me.
    05-08-10 01:04 PM
    if you downloaded an EXE file and used that for the OS install, go to add/remove programs and delete that.

Even then it might not stop it, its a glitch that has been in DM for a long time now
    05-08-10 03:53 PM
    if you downloaded an EXE file and used that for the OS install, go to add/remove programs and delete that.

Even then it might not stop it, its a glitch that has been in DM for a long time now
    I only see one in Add/Remove Programs and it says "Blackberry Device Software v5.0.0 for the Blackberry 8530 smartphone". My phone is currently on 5.0.0.459. Is that definitely the EXE I downloaded to do the upgrade? I'm hesitant to remove it for fear of screwing my phone or DM up but if you assure me I can remove it and everything will still work, I will.
    05-08-10 10:07 PM
    You can remove it and it will not mess up your phone. You will not, however, be able to go into DM and do updates or add applications unless you reinstall.

Another option is to rename the installed OS. You can find it on your computer at:

Program Files/Common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files

That will show you the OS's installed on your computer. If you rename the OS, maybe add one number or letter to the end, then the phone will not recognize it.
    05-08-10 10:55 PM
    You can remove it and it will not mess up your phone. You will not, however, be able to go into DM and do updates or add applications unless you reinstall.

Another option is to rename the installed OS. You can find it on your computer at:

Program Files/Common files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files

That will show you the OS's installed on your computer. If you rename the OS, maybe add one number or letter to the end, then the phone will not recognize it.
    That seemed to work. Thanks!!
    05-08-10 11:14 PM
    1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop
    Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.
    Thank you VERY much for this!
    10-06-10 12:01 PM
    unfortunately for me, that didn't work
    10-06-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD