I know blackberry offers an external bluetooth keyboard for the Storm.

But I'm wondering...

Since the keyboard sits right next to the device, why bother with Bluetooth settings? What wrong with adapting a cheap everyday USB keyboard with a micro USB adapter?

I'm assuming the Storm would have to have some sort of software installed for this to work. Has anybody ever explored this idea?
    12-19-08 01:07 AM
    I'm not entirely sure that this would be possible, at least with an off-the-shelf keyboard. I don't believe the Storm's microUSB port can be used in host-mode (which would be required to use a normal keyboard). I'm not sure that it would be simple (or possible) for a third-party application to add this functionality (since it would require some low-level USB tinkering, as well as implementing a USB hub, etc).

Now if it was a custom keyboard that could connect to the Storm in "device" mode (where the keyboard was powered and was running in hostmode), that might be a different story.
    12-19-08 01:25 AM
    Have you ever heard of anything like that being available? It seems like it would have to be cheaper than a Bluetooth keyboard (if it existed).
    12-19-08 11:45 AM
    for the old blackberry they had a keyboard from rim u plug into the charging port and u can set it up and type away. they also had a stand to go with it. I got it for working a pre grammy party and got around 5000 worth of girfts. this was for the 6510. bunch of accessories. this one has the holster in the keyboard. im getting it now
    eAccess eStore - BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard 2
    12-19-08 01:43 PM
    Yes.....Freedom Keyboards are bluetooth and works very well. Compatible and compact for carrying around and also has a stand for the BB as well.

Freedom Input Ltd - Home
    12-19-08 01:45 PM
    Yeah... I have a really nice folding keyboard I bought for my old Zire 71. Sure wish my Storm would work with that.
    12-19-08 01:48 PM
    Agreed I have the Freedom keyboard and it works flawlessly with my Curve.
    12-19-08 01:48 PM
    I haven't tried installing the drivers on the Storm yet but, I have this Bluetooth keyboard (I got it and used it for my Palm Treo).

While it's not the most practical, let me tell you something, THIS is how you get attention when you're sitting in a restaurant!

Yes, it's really a product....Yes, I really have one...Yes, it really works.

12-19-08 02:54 PM
    I haven't tried installing the drivers on the Storm yet but, I have this Bluetooth keyboard (I got it and used it for my Palm Treo).

While it's not the most practical, let me tell you something, THIS is how you get attention when you're sitting in a restaurant!

Yes, it's really a product....Yes, I really have one...Yes, it really works.

Is that even out yet? From my understanding its only available in Asia??? That is a trippy keyboard though. I dont think its accurate though but what do I know!!
    12-19-08 02:57 PM
    Yeah...I have one. Like I said, it REALLY does work.

It's not that practical...no tactile feedback. But, you can type away and the letters show up on the screen.

More of a "wow" gadget than useful but, it turns heads when you "whip it out".

I bought mine from ThinkGeek.com. They have them "In Stock" and you can "Add to Cart".
    12-19-08 03:06 PM
    Yeah...I have one. Like I said, it REALLY does work.

It's not that practical...no tactile feedback. But, you can type away and the letters show up on the screen.

More of a "wow" gadget than useful but, it turns heads when you "whip it out".

I bought mine from ThinkGeek.com. They have them "In Stock" and you can "Add to Cart".

Interesting.....I wanted that when I was looking but wasnt available at that time so i ended up with the freedom keyboard. Its not bad Im happy with it. Barely use it....but does work well when its being used.
    12-19-08 03:09 PM
    I have a Nokia keyboard that I got for the N95 - worked a treat. Sure it was designed for Nokias (with its menu and messaging shortcut keys), but a review on the internet suggested that it would work with WinMob, so I figured what the hey, since it's HID it should be okay with the BB (isn't the point of HID that drivers are no longer required?).

No. Got it to pair up, but after that nothing.
    01-23-09 10:40 AM
    Doesn't a typical usb keyboard draw its power through the usb port? I'm not sure the your BB could do this and if it could how long the battery would survive.
    01-23-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD