It appears that our blackberry provider have detected that I am using a Storm and have passed the information to our procurement team, and I have now been informed by the technical team at work that I have to switch back to my pearl.
    Is it possible for a provider to detect the type of phone you have connected to the BES?
    06-01-09 09:54 AM
    Yes.

10 char
    06-01-09 10:02 AM
    strange that they would even bring it up, considering nothing on the connection has changed / data / etc
    06-01-09 10:14 AM
    Sadly Yes. They can detect any phone you have connected. As soon as you insert your SIM and turn it on, they know the Model of Phone you are using. Same goes with CDMA Networks, Verizon, Sprint, ETC.
    06-01-09 04:33 PM
    I'm assuming the Pearl was a corporate issued device? You could always ask them why you have to switch back, otherwise.
    06-01-09 04:59 PM
    If you have a high-level/secret clearance job, it could be for good reason, the Storm has a poor operational ability, and its security features may not be up-to-snuf and airtight as a Pearl.

(edit - the Storm having security holes is a rumor, possibly invented for this situation)

Although BB's are built to be secure, there is a reason why Obama wasn't allowed to keep one at first.

Otherwise, its just people using the power they have. I would bring it up to someone over their head saying its not harmful and doesn't negatively affect the company....
    06-01-09 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD