Ok, my replacement storm randomly gives me a call failed error since I received it last week. In the past 6 years I have only had 1 call failed the entire time and never on my 8830. I stopped at the local VZ store today and the tech said some things that were interesting. She said that I need to do *228 every month to re-register on the tower (I thought that was what a reset does). I was under the impression that you only needed to do that when a new prl comes out. I have never really done this on a regular basis. She also told me that when everyone started using the Storm that it put a lot of stress on the network and the RIM server and almost crashed it. She also said that what happened to the original iphone will probably happen with the storm. What was said was that at some point that they will send everyone replacement phones and we will return the one we have. I can't remember her exact wording, but implying when all the issues have been ironed out. Sorry for the book and please no flaming, just saying what I heard...
    12-17-08 06:43 PM
    Well the tech was wrong the *228 monthly is to update roaming
    12-17-08 06:51 PM
    There's some slight programming that happens if you do *228 opt 1 or *22899 for short. VZW can push some minor radio provisioning changes to the phones and not just the PRL alone. So, it's always a good idea to do it every couple of months. The PRLs don't update each month like clockwork or anything like that. However, after a new handset gets released, it's a good idea to do the update every couple of weeks. When the Curve was released, some people had issues with reception on the phone and calls dropping and it had nothing to do with the PRL version (as a matter of fact, the PRL didn't change/update for at least a good month and a half after the release), however the *22899 did fix the dropped calls issue for at least 5 people I know of personally that had that phone.
    12-17-08 08:09 PM
    Thanks for the response. Would this help a call failed issue? I had my first storm for over two weeks and it never happened. I haven't read anything about others having this issue. I wasn't sure if the tech knew what she was talking about or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 08:32 PM
    How do you find your current PRL version on the storm?

I am looking in the "about" menu, and dont see a PRL listing...
    12-18-08 01:28 PM
    Verizon Techs and their many lines of bullsh*t. It's amazing what comes out of the mouth of people these days.
    12-18-08 01:30 PM
    What was said was that at some point that they will send everyone replacement phones and we will return the one we have. I can't remember her exact wording, but implying when all the issues have been ironed out. .
    This is the first i have heard anything about this,,,,any one else heard this?
    12-18-08 01:45 PM
    Did that really happen with the first phones or is she full of shti?

12-18-08 02:28 PM
    That sounds like BS, but I know VZdub had a lot of issues when it first launched. You wouldnt believe the amount of impactors across the NE region. You actually dont HAVE to update your PRL unless you are an avid traveler. But if you are staying in your home area 80% of the time, i'd update maybe once every 3 months (MHO). Updating your PRL used to be a phrase threw out to "fix everything" lol. A lot of problems are server related.

There are ways to stress a network, but that typically comes with congestion at MSC's and towers. You will usually see that type of temporary meltdown at 12am 1/1/09 etc.

Hope you have no more prob's
    12-18-08 03:22 PM
    How do you find your current PRL version on the storm?

I am looking in the "about" menu, and dont see a PRL listing...
    So does no response mean there is no way to find your current PRL version on this phone?

12-18-08 06:13 PM
    #4357* To find your current.
    12-20-08 02:00 PM
    JRSCCivic98, is there a shortcut for *228 opt 2?
    12-20-08 02:17 PM
    This only happened to me once when I was trying to setup activation for the Storm. On the 22nd of Nov, yea i kinda guess the servers crashed because I had to retry like 13 times to get it to work.
    12-20-08 02:20 PM
    Did that really happen with the first phones or is she full of shti?

It did not happen with the iPhone.
    12-20-08 02:41 PM
    JRSCCivic98, is there a shortcut for *228 opt 2?
    #22899 does both. It is a shortcut in the sense that it updates options 1 and 2 automatically without more user input
    12-20-08 02:59 PM
    Is this true, Civic? No offense, Ben, just tryin to corroborate.
    12-22-08 08:35 PM
    Yes, actually *22899 is really *228 with Opt 1 selected. Option 1 does a full reprogram of the CDMA radio (which includes a PRL update).
    12-22-08 08:42 PM
    *22899 is the best/easliest thing to do.
    12-22-08 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD