Hi,

Just joined the forum and already have a question :-) I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this issue.

I set up my Storm to synch with Lotus Notes via Desktop Manager. The events seem to synch OK except that whatever gets loaded into the Storm does not have an alarm set, so that while I can see the event, I do not get an alarm.

I also transferred everything over from my old Treo and all of those events do work properly.

All of the new events I add manually directly on the Storm also work as expected (i.e.- I get an audible alert).

So it seems as if the problem is limited to just new Notes events that come across.

The manual work around is to go into the Storm's calendar after synching and look for ones that so not have the alarm bell indicated next to the event. Then I open the event and have to set the Reminder to "5 Minutes". (I also set the Show Time As to "Busy".) That will then give me an audible alert. This is a big pain however and I am afraid I will miss a new ecent and the actual meeting too.

So is there a way to force all new events to automatically have a 5 minute Reminder regardless of how they get into the device? (I did go into the Calendar Options Menu and set the Default Reminder to "5 Minutes" but that did not make a difference to events coming in from Notes.)

Or is there something I can set in the Synch settings in Desktop Manager?

Or do I need to do something in Notes? I do not currently have Notes set to pop up alerts on my laptop. I do not want to do so either, since then I would have two devices beeping at me. That sort of defeats the whole purpose of the PDA...

So please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on how to get incoming Notes events to automatically beep when they are supposed to.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MilesBFree; 01-14-09 at 12:45 PM.
    01-14-09 10:31 AM
    Update: I tried an experiment where I created a test calendar entry in Notes and set it to alarm on my laptop. I then synched. The test calendar entry went off on schedule. So it is apparently working as designed.

So I think the answer is that whatever Notes is set to do will end up in the Crackberry when it is synched. This makes sense.

Ditto the reverse direction - I set a few events that did not previously have alarms on the Storm to have them, and when I did a synch they were pushed back into Notes and the alarms were then turned on in Notes.

This is irritating since I now have two devices beeping at me whenever an alarm goes off. Since my Storm and laptop clocks are off by a minute or two, I get 4 beeps in 5 minutes if I do not dismiss but wait for the "real" beep (i.e.- it goes off 5 minutes before and at the exact time of the event).

I think the options are:

1. Live with dueling alarms

2. Turn alarms off in Notes and then manually set them on the Storm, with the synch from the Storm to Notes direction turned off. That won't really work for me since I enter events directly into the phone fairly frequently when I am away from my desk.

Any other ideas?
    01-14-09 04:39 PM
    I looked at the synch filters to see if it would be possible to prevent the "alarmed" events from going back to Notes from the Storm. However, the filters in Desktop Manager look like they apply in both directions, not just one.

Even if that did work, this would also mean that I would have to manually set the alarms as they were added to the Storm's calendar (and leave them off in Notes).

It seems as if what I need to do is set Notes to default to having alarms for every event, and then figure out how to turn off the actual alarming. i.e.- leave the "alarm" field set in a database, but turn off the "daemon" that monitors the DB and pops up the notices.
    01-14-09 04:54 PM
    I found out to turn off the alarms in Notes:

Go to File ---> Preferences ---> Calendar and To Do ---> Access and Delegations ---> Alarms.

Uncheck "Display alarm notifications".

This worked for a test event I created in Notes - no pop-up or beep on my laptop.

However, when I created a new event after disabling, it automatically turned the general alarming capability back on and I had to go back through the Preferences... process above to turn it back off again.

I toggled an individual event from "alarm off" to "alarm on" ("Notify Me" in Notes parlance) and that was enough to urn the general alarming back on.

I am going to see if Notes tech support can help on this, as it seems to be the right approach to do what I want it to. It seems as if this is not how it should work.
    01-14-09 05:17 PM
    It looks like this problem has been identified at least as early as 2006 in Notes 6.x (I am at 8.x), but is rather "as designed". So I probably can't do anything about this other than:

1. Turn alarms on in Notes.
    2. Synch.
    3. Turn alarms off in Notes

Here is the link:

(the forum is telling me I can't post a URL until I have at least 10 posts, I will try later...)

www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=475&context=SSKTWP&context=SSKTMJ&c ontext=SSRNU3&context=SSRNUY&q1=calendar+notify+me &uid=swg21091894&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en
    01-15-09 08:18 AM
    I was going to try and help, but it seems you have things under control.
    01-15-09 09:40 AM
    I have a similar problem.

I don't care if both my 8320 and Notes notify me twice at the sametime.

The problem I have is that I have reminder on in my Notes, but after I sync calendar entries into 8320 via bluetooth/wire, reminder turns to be none in my blackberry.

Seems the reminder info is lost during the sync. What I want is to sync the reminder setting also.

What should I do?
    04-10-09 05:05 AM
    Wow! I think this is one of the first threads I've read where the OP answered his/her own question, even if it's been around awhile. LOL.
    Last edited by Craterz; 04-10-09 at 06:46 AM.
    04-10-09 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD