I was told by a store (dedicated Verizon retail location) that the Storm ( or new devices in general) are usually available on-line before they hit the Verizon retail store. Can anyone in the know tell me if this is true?

Also, as a new device, will the stores and online sell it for the same price. I ask, because IIRC, the stores sometimes have regular phones for less.

Also, is there a difference in swapping out for repair warranty if it breaks/lost/stolen if I buy it in a store versus on-line?

Thanks
    Last edited by hal1; 09-15-08 at 07:12 PM.
    09-15-08 07:02 PM
    They usually are available online before retail. From what I've seen Verizon's phones are cheaper online. If you swap it our for a warranty replacement you would more than likely receive a refurb versus buying a brand new one.
    09-15-08 07:41 PM
    New phones launch in retail same day they launch online. Some stores may receive their weekly shipment after the expected date so they may not have it till later. Or if there is only a "small" amount of that device-seems like they usually distribute to the heavier/bigger store first. As fas as price-online and in store have the same prices. Sometimes retail and online have separate sales though. In store there are mail in rebates and online you get it instantly.
    09-15-08 08:25 PM
    I know in the case of the LG Dare, the phone was available online 1 week before it was available in any store nationwide.
    09-15-08 08:40 PM
    Looks like if I want it fastest I'm getting it on-line.
    09-15-08 08:48 PM
    Definately buy it onlinr, free shipping, no tax, and instant rebate vs the mail-in's. That's what I always do when I upgrade. Phone comes via ups in 2 business days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 08:49 PM
    Definately buy it onlinr, free shipping, no tax, and instant rebate vs the mail-in's. That's what I always do when I upgrade. Phone comes via ups in 2 business days

No tax? Maybe it depends on what state you're in but in CA when I ordered my Dare I definitely got charged tax
    09-15-08 08:57 PM

Uh sales tax-ya you should get charged that where ever you go. Yes, in California you will get taxed on the full retail price regardless of in store or online. Can't speak of any other states but I would imagine you would gtet taxed anywhere. And yes online is instant rebates. Free 2 day shipping via FEDEX.
    09-15-08 09:12 PM
    Normally you would pay sales tax if the company has stores and/or operations in your state. Verizon has stores in every state (I believe) therefore you should be paying state sales tax regardless of where it ships from (unless you live in a state with no sales tax).

The Dare was available online prior to being available in-stores. I ordered one online and had it in hand prior to it being available in stores. I sent it back in anticipation of the thunder/storm. Waiting patiently!
    09-15-08 09:17 PM
    yep thats how i got my curve a week before it was supposed to come out and way cheaper.
    09-15-08 09:18 PM
    New phones launch in retail same day they launch online. Some stores may receive their weekly shipment after the expected date so they may not have it till later. Or if there is only a "small" amount of that device-seems like they usually distribute to the heavier/bigger store first. As fas as price-online and in store have the same prices. Sometimes retail and online have separate sales though. In store there are mail in rebates and online you get it instantly.
    No. No. No. No. This is way wrong. Major releases ALMOST ALWAYS happen online before in-store. This was most definitely the case with the Curve, as I ordered it online and it was not available in stores, even though my local store HAD received their shipment; they simply were not allowed to sell them.

Also, in-store prices are sometimes cheaper. This was also the case with the Curve. It depends on the deals they are running, but I bought my Curve for (IIRC) $249, and it was available the next week in stores for $199 through Red Hot Deal Days. Red Hot Deal Days were available online as well, but not when the phone was first released online, which is when I purchased it. Sometimes you can get a credit for the difference, sometimes you can't. It's the price you pay for getting the phone earliest.

It is true that rebates are applied instantly online, which I think is a big plus. I personally hate mailing in rebates and waiting for the check to arrive.
    Last edited by jta1188; 09-15-08 at 09:42 PM.
    09-15-08 09:39 PM
    So there is really no need for me to be going in to the verizon store ans asking to be put on a pre-order or waiting list, just get it on-line?

Won't VZ be inundated with first day orders to ship?
    09-15-08 09:56 PM
    I've always ordered my phones over the phone with reps. It's quick, easy, and you can get free stuff out of them sometimes if you're lucky, lol. I ordered my LG Dare over the phone a week before the actual street release date. I returned it of course in anticipation for this bad boy.
    09-16-08 01:08 AM
    Luckily a very close family friend is a major account manager for verizon so he always gets the phone for us.
    09-16-08 01:24 AM
    I just purchased the Curve this past weekend, as my Treo went dead. Online price turned out to essentially free with the current $70 rebate and my 2 year credit of ~ $100. You must go to a corporate store (in my case Verizon), if you want the same price as online. The closest Verizon store (and that's all they sold) I went to could not match the online price (he wanted $100). The 2nd store was Circuit City (corporate Verizon store), as they matched the price...and I got it that day. She did say that sometimes they (Circuit City) have special deals that online Verizon does not have, so they can be even cheaper...bottomline, all Verizon stores are not created equal.
    09-16-08 02:00 AM
    you can get free stuff out of them sometimes if you're lucky, lol. .
    What kind of free stuff could I try to finagle out of them?

09-16-08 12:25 PM
    I ended up replacing my 8830 3 times so they let me upgrade my device to the curvefor free because the price of the device was less than the cost of my original purchases. Hopefully this same thing will happen when i replace this one.
    09-16-08 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD