I've searched through old posts, and the only references I can find to BSOD have to do with a corrupted OS on the Storm which I don't believe is the case since the phone is still working fine.

I've connected the Storm to my laptop running Vista x64 countless times without problems.

Today I was loading 3 new wallpapers and when I disconnected the Storm my laptop crashed with a BSOD. Now any time I connect the Storm the laptop crashes with a BSOD. I've done several reboots on the laptop as well as battery pulls on the Storm and the problem still persists.

Other devices (iPod, external hard drive, etc.) still connect to the laptop via USB just fine, it's only the Storm that is causing the crashes.

I have made no hardware or software changes to the laptop recently, and the Storm has been running Crackman V7 successfully for over a week now and there have been no changes to it other than loading some ringtones and a few wallpapers over the past couple of days. I deleted the 3 new wallpapers from the Storm that I had loaded when the crash first occurred in case one of those was the culprit but that didn't solve the problem either.

Any ideas? I have no issue with wiping and re-loading Crackman V7 if need be, but I can't even do that if I can't resolve the BSOD problem every time I connect the Storm. (And no, I don't have another computer handy at the moment to try connecting the Storm to see what happens.)

Thanks a million!
    06-16-09 11:33 AM
    Hmm... i've ran DM on XP and vista (both 32 and 64 bit) and never ran into this. As far as this whole BSOD issue is concerned, it sound like your computer doesn't agree with DM or your phone....

Try the following:

Check and see if there's any windows updates you haven't installed.. (those are usually the problem now-a-days) " unless there's malware!

Uninstall and re-install your drivers

Virus Scans with a good antivirus (not norton)

And

if all else fails, copy down the error number and google it for a solution

Hope this helps... pm or email me if you need more help!
    06-16-09 11:54 AM
    Update your laptop's BIOS while you're at it also. I would say if you can plug your phone into another PC and it doesn't cause any issues and works fine, then it's most likely an issue localized to your laptop.
    06-16-09 02:12 PM
    My work PC crashes with a BSOD when I unplug my BB Storm. The other 2 laptops that I connect to are fine. The only difference, I remember first plugging in my BlackBerry to the PC before I had loaded the Verizon Drivers Disk, and it loaded "vista" drivers for the storm.

Personally, I think this is the problem, however I have not had the time to confirm. I just thought i'd chime in what my experience has been.
    06-16-09 02:28 PM
    Still having this problem, but I've found an unusual work-around.

(FWIW, I'm running the latest BIOS, all the latest Windows updates, etc.; this is still just a problem with the Storm, everything else works fine.)

If I plug in my Storm, it will start a cycle of BSOD's and re-boots. If I just leave it alone for a few minutes, after 6-8 re-boot cycles the laptop will eventually boot up fine and I can access the Storm just fine.

Hopefully I'll find some time this week to play with the drivers and such, but I just find it extremely odd that this just started out of the blue and I had previously been able to connect the Storm countless times without a single problem before this started.
    06-22-09 08:11 AM
    Does it do this with all of the USB connections?
    06-22-09 08:37 AM
    I have been experiencing the same problem, and today from advice in this thread updated to the latest BIOS which just came out 3 days ago. That didn't fix it. Also uninstalled/reinstalled .148. No luck. Tried plugging in to another port and it works fine. And just tried plugging into the port on my monitor, and it's fine on that one too. Previously it was plugged in to a powered hub, but that has been working up until last week.

Edit - now I am getting the BSOD on the other port. Looks like this is becoming a big problem for me too. I am running Vista Ultimate 32, SP2. It works fine on my XP Pro machine.
    Last edited by amarryat; 06-22-09 at 02:15 PM.
    06-22-09 09:11 AM
    I doubt the problem is caused by the Storm, It reads like an issue with your computer and\or the software environment.
    06-22-09 09:24 AM
    BSOD on Windows are generally also something software related, like a corrupt driver implementation.

In most cases, it is best to try and record some of the BSOD message as possible, not just state you had a BSOD, as the solution to BSOD issues tend to put up enough information you can look up what might be the general cause.

In some cases, a BSOD or STOP error on Microsoft will give you general points where the problem will be that caused the stop, which tend also to be recorded on the Event Viewer.

A few times, we had something similar on boxes which would BSOD and restart, and there would be points to it being an out of date or corrupted driver reference.

One suggestion to do in this case: System Disk Defrag. If it worked until just recently, there is a chance that the defined driver information got corrupted due to fragmentation. Do not simply uninstall and reinstall for one simple reason. Uninstalling it removes the fragments of it, but leaves the fragmentation on the disk for later applying. Fragmenting programs will often cause slight errors that will cause a program to blow up in a weird way.

I know it seems weird, but from past experience, programs suffering a serious amount of disk fragmentation will start behaving weird and simply removing it and reinstalling it does not solve the problem 100%. While it should, theorhetically install on the next unfragmented block, the OS sometimes just ops to write the program to fit in the space it can find and 'sort it out later'.

Also, note... The system enumerates a device where it is plugged in. When it does this, it 'remembers' certain things. A better example is looking at a flash drive stick. If you plug it into one USB port, it comes up for that instance. However, moving it to another USB port, sometimes, the OS will go 'Hey, you are installing a new device.' And you will end up enumerating it as a different device and sometimes with different 'drives' even though it is the same flash drive stick. For the most part, you want to occasionally do system maintenance on your OS which generally would be a periodic disk defrag to reorg your files, which is almost similar to a battery pull on the BB.

Mind you, this is a suggestion, and might not be the 100% solution to the problem though.
    06-22-09 09:53 AM
    After removing that, my problems have gone away. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't reappear. I had the latest (June 30, 9796 build) installed.
    07-02-09 11:12 AM
    Yep, the problem is True Image, had the issue on a number of machines, the problem is snapman.sys. Google "WARNING: Installing 11105 B&R Advanced Workstation causes BSOD on reboot", forum won't let me post the direct link.
    02-10-10 09:29 AM
    9th post going for 10 so I can post a link
    02-11-10 02:47 PM
    You might try running Who Crashed, it helped me find a problem with a driver....

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
    02-11-10 02:48 PM
    After removing that, my problems have gone away. Keeping my fingers crossed that they don't reappear. I had the latest (June 30, 9796 build) installed.
    Yep, the problem is True Image, had the issue on a number of machines, the problem is snapman.sys. Google "WARNING: Installing 11105 B&R Advanced Workstation causes BSOD on reboot", forum won't let me post the direct link.
    Lost track of this thread, but I was/am running Acronis True Image Home 2009, and the problem must have been caused and then solved by updates of their software because about 2 weeks after the problem started, it magically went away on it's own without me changing a thing beside allowing the automatic updates.
    04-04-10 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD