Before the storm launched there were reports stating that you could talk on phone while browsing the web....but when the phone released no luck.......even in the user manual it says that you will b able to use that feature..but still no luck....they say vzw is on a 3g network well from what I understand you should be able to I know the bold is capable why isn't the storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 08:19 AM
    Its the limitations of the network. Bold can do it because its a GSM on a true 3G network. Storm can't do it because the CDMA network is not a true 3G.

02-22-09 08:38 AM
    Damn what a disappointment false advertisement anyone?

02-22-09 09:00 AM
    How is evdo not 3g

02-22-09 10:43 AM
    Damn what a disappointment false advertisement anyone?

Well if you are using the GSM network with the Storm it will work... CDMA was never able to do this.

02-22-09 10:47 AM
    no idea. most times when i talk on the phone its on my ear so i have no reason to browse.
    02-22-09 11:03 AM
    Cdma there r to many restrictions with that..........I thought there was a government mandate for all carriers to switch to cdma........this sucks though something needs to be done with vzw there are way to many "you can but" exceptions

02-22-09 11:05 AM
    dyp you are severely limited in cell technology knowledge. There was never a government mandate to force everyone to CDMA. The only wireless death recently was getting rid of analog (tv and wireless essentially now...).

CDMA and EVDO can't work hand in hand at the same time when it comes to voice calls because voice goes over CDMA (or 1X basically) only with Verizon. Hence why on most/all phones, when you make a call it switches to 1X and doesn't have 1X and EV (or in BB's example, 1XEV). You can receive texts because texts go over 1X but browsing VZW doesn't do while on a call because browsing over 1X is painful and a limitation anyways.

EVDO is a 3G technology but not a true 3G name like GSM labels their's. GSM's 3G is WCDMA but marketed as 3G.
    02-22-09 11:43 AM
    It's not a REQUIREMENT or MANDATE, but the US government has made it known they'd strongly prefer only a single "4G" system, and at this time, it's looking very much like everyone will be settling on LTE for the next go around which should allow for voice and data at the same time.

I also seem to recall someone musing on the idea of a VoIP system for EVDO Rev A and B phones. Seems like an interesting idea that will likely never see the light of day with LTE set for deployment next year. But one has to think that, in theory, someone could create a Skype-like app for the Storm that would let us do both on CDMA networks. Still, there are so few situations where I can see this being all that terribly useful, it doesn't seem worth the effort.
    02-22-09 12:22 PM
    Ok know this all makes sense thanks for all the help

02-22-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD