I have read that there is a slight risk of bricking your phone with a battery pull. I am not sure if the comments are based on experience or just hear-say.

But if there is even a slight risk, I wonder why everyone doesn't simply install an app like soft reset or quick pull?
    12-18-08 12:25 PM
    Short of some unintended electrical discharge while in the process of pulling out the battery, or maybe some of the acid leaking out, I'd say this sounds like a load of crap. I suppose there's also a very small chance that you could corrupt the internal filesystem if you pulled the battery in the middle of a write operation. I would put the odds of any of these things happening about on par with winning the lottery, maybe worse.
    12-18-08 12:30 PM
    I've never heard of a brick because of a battery pull. I think it's a myth.
    12-18-08 12:30 PM
    Someone probably did something stupid and blamed it on the battery pull.
    12-18-08 12:57 PM
    You will brick it if you do a battery pull in the middle of an OS upgrade...
    12-18-08 01:07 PM
    Not true. My OTA upgrade was stuck (or at least I thought it was after 90 minutes) and I couldn't cancel out of it. Pulled the battery and my phone started right up.
    12-18-08 01:20 PM
    It's not a myth. It's extremely rare, but I've had it happen once. I used to tell everybody that a battery pull was perfectly safe. I don't do that anymore. Use the soft reset first, then a battery pull if the soft reset doesn't work. Don't use a battery pull as preventive maintenance.
    12-18-08 01:22 PM
    Thanks Jeff, so my point is, why not download the small app that easily allows anyone to do a "battery pull" with a quick and easy software approach??
    12-18-08 02:03 PM
    The info is good to know was wondering if u could do it too much. I play it safe and turn my device off. Wait for at least 30 seconds. Excellent question was wondering the same myself
    12-18-08 03:00 PM
    I have read that there is a slight risk of bricking your phone with a battery pull. I am not sure if the comments are based on experience or just hear-say.

But if there is even a slight risk, I wonder why everyone doesn't simply install an app like soft reset or quick pull?
    Apps don't do much good when your phone is frozen.
    12-18-08 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD