Can I walk into a Verizon Wireless Store and swap it for the new storms with the upgraded screens? I have the original box with the proof of purchase. Does anyone know if I can?
    05-05-10 09:29 PM
    oops can someone bump this to the Storm 2 forum?
    05-05-10 10:51 PM
    If its a storm 1 they won't just give you a storm 2 or else I would have one. Your storm has to be sent in a few times before they'll upgrade you but you'll most likely have to sign another contract to get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 11:08 AM
    Probably not. Will you be using it on Verizon? Do you already have an account with them? If either of those questions is a No, then they will not switch it. If yes, then you have a slim chance. This is a warranty issue, and warranty replacements are usually only given to the original purchaser.
    05-06-10 11:58 AM
    Your post is a bit confusing. First, as you've realized, you're posting in the Storm1 forum, so I assumed you purchased a used, Storm 1. Also, you show that you're on AT&T, who does not carry the Storm at all, so either your phone is unlocked or, you're planning on using it on VZW. If you're going to try and use it on AT&T, they absolutely will not support a device they do not even carry, nor will VZW support you if you're not their customer. I do not know of the warranties are transferable, so you are probably out of luck.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 05-06-10 at 12:09 PM.
    05-06-10 12:06 PM
    VZW will not let you trade in a used 8530 for a new Storm 2, which goes for, what, $650 with no contract? Doesn't make any financial sense.
    05-06-10 01:55 PM
    VZW will not let you trade in a used 8530 for a new Storm 2, which goes for, what, $650 with no contract? Doesn't make any financial sense.
    Huh ???????? Did you mean 9530? The Curve was never mentioned in this thread.
    05-06-10 02:03 PM
    LOL...that was my first thought. I was thinking "man, did I misread the original post?" I'm sure it was a typo. That being said, the same thing applies...nobody is going to take in a used, older version phone and give you a new version device, especially if you never bought it from them (the carrier) in the first place.

Now, I know that SOME warranties ARE transferable. Automobiles, for example, typically allow for warranty transfer, if the vehicle is still under the mileage/# months limitations, of course. I don't know about phones though. You may want to go over to the "Ask a VZW Rep" thread and inquire (though, the OP has not returned to say if their "new" phone is on VZW or AT&T, so any further posts are pointless until we have more info.

Huh ???????? Did you mean 9530? The Curve was never mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 05-06-10 at 05:09 PM.
    05-06-10 05:07 PM
    It looks like he bought a used Storm2 (since he's asking it to be moved to Storm2 forum). I am not too familiar with Storm2s but I think I read that newer builds had different upgraded screen and all Storm2s in VZ stores were being sent back for newer ones. If this is what OP is talking about, if it's within the warranty, you may be able to get it replaced.
    05-06-10 05:12 PM
    You're probably right, but he needs to learn to write better. The title infers "Storm" (which implies the S1) and then, in the same line, talks about a "Storm 2" His profile shows Storm 2, but also ATT, which does not sell/support the Storm (either version).

Finally, again, it's really a matter of whether or not warranties are transferable AND, if the phone is on a VZW account.

It looks like he bought a used Storm2 (since he's asking it to be moved to Storm2 forum). I am not too familiar with Storm2s but I think I read that newer builds had different upgraded screen and all Storm2s in VZ stores were being sent back for newer ones. If this is what OP is talking about, if it's within the warranty, you may be able to get it replaced.
    05-06-10 05:18 PM
    Yea my bad I posted in the wrong forum. I have the proof of purchase though and I believe it is still on the original account because I was actually using his BIS plan before I wiped the device. If you guys dont know I'll repost this to the Storm 2 section.
    05-07-10 01:18 AM
    You're welcome....sigh.
    05-07-10 11:33 AM
    If it's still on the original account then have the original purchaser call Verizon, or go into store, and talk to them about getting a replacement Storm with the upgraded screen. If the Storm has been taken off the account then that will cause you problems too, Verizon won't let you do a warranty exchange through them. You will NOT be able to do it yourself though because you don't have an account with them.

You could try contacting RIM and doing a warranty exchange through them, but that will take a long time.
    05-07-10 12:47 PM
    If it's still on the original account then have the original purchaser call Verizon, or go into store, and talk to them about getting a replacement Storm with the upgraded screen. If the Storm has been taken off the account then that will cause you problems too, Verizon won't let you do a warranty exchange through them. You will NOT be able to do it yourself though because you don't have an account with them.

You could try contacting RIM and doing a warranty exchange through them, but that will take a long time.
    0_o I think I'll just stick with the S2 I got right now. I'm happy with it as is. Thanks for the info though.
    05-08-10 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD