So I bought a storm off of craigslist and I was going to unlock it and use it on ATT. Well dumb me I didnt think to check it out or anything because the battery was extremely low.

I bought the unlock code and when I went to enter it the mep box wouldn't pop up. So I started reading a little bit and looked around and I realized that the amount of times a code could be entered had been reached, before I even got it, and now I'm pretty sure that it's locked down completely

Well long story short I'm pretty sure the phone is stolen. The seller isnt responding to my calls or emails and I'm out the cash and have a storm I can't even use.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
    03-16-09 12:08 AM
    Physically go to his address and get some answers
    03-16-09 12:11 AM

To the OP, you've learned a lesson. Not much you an do but contest charges and definitely file police report for stolen goods and fraud if you have any definable identity info for the seller.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 12:18 AM
    I don't have his address. We met at a taco bell. I have a phone number and his email and it looks like his email is through t-mobile he was using a sidekick.

I guess I'll call up and report it tomorrow. Any idea if I should call the department of the city we met or the one I live in?
    03-16-09 12:20 AM
    You need to report it to the City where the incident occured, so where ever the Taco Bell was. However, it will most likely be useless. If the guy who sold you the phone was smart he used a prepaid phone with no tracking history!

Lesson learned, Do Not buy small electronics on Craigslist!
    03-16-09 01:07 AM
    man i would be ticked i buy phone and met ppl from clist all the time.. would it be wrong to post his contact info here??? im from mi and dont wanna run into the same guy.
    03-16-09 01:15 AM
    Oh man that sucks... sorry to hear that
    03-16-09 01:28 AM
    He looked like he was younger. At the bottom of all of his emails it said sent from my sidekick and it was from a @tmail.com address. So I'm not sure. Im going to call him a few more times and let him know that I'm going to report it and then go from there.
    03-16-09 01:28 AM
    man i would be ticked i buy phone and met ppl from clist all the time.. would it be wrong to post his contact info here??? im from mi and dont wanna run into the same guy.
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to but if I can I will. I don't want anyone else getting screwed over.
    03-16-09 01:29 AM
    You need to report it to the City where the incident occured, so where ever the Taco Bell was. However, it will most likely be useless. If the guy who sold you the phone was smart he used a prepaid phone with no tracking history!

Lesson learned, Do Not buy small electronics on Craigslist!

sadly he is right....just hope this guy was stupid and they can trace the IMEI or MEID to him so it is easily provable
    03-16-09 01:29 AM
    i never trust craisglist. lowballers people emails you said they interested in your item and then changed their mine or make up stores that they got it cheaper on ebay.

i only use craigslist to give FREE stuff away haha.
    03-16-09 02:17 AM
    i never trust craisglist. lowballers people emails you said they interested in your item and then changed their mine or make up stores that they got it cheaper on ebay.

i only use craigslist to give FREE stuff away haha.
    I hate clist, too. you could be selling the hope diamond on there and most respondents would email you and ask if you'd take $5 for it. It's like people think of it as an internet garage sale
    03-16-09 02:52 AM
    Lesson of the day: Ebay.

Hey same thing happened to me, bought a phone of CL. Got home and it had a pink sticker.

/sigh.

Maybe a T-Mobile rep over in the T-Mo forum might break CoC and accidently pull up his account.
    03-16-09 02:58 AM
    That totally sucks, I hope the police are able to do something. I sold my 8830 on CL but everyone that asked me about my old phone asked for the ESN to check if it was clean which I had no problems doing. CL can be good but it is totally buyer beware.
    03-16-09 03:17 AM
    i'm sorry about what happened man... I also bought my storm off craigslist because my contract wasn't up but I told her to meet me up in the verizon store and I didn't pay her until everything was settled.. It's really hard to trust people nowadays..

I hope you get your money back at least.. Sorry again..
    03-16-09 03:29 AM
    Craigslist is an internet garage sale...
    If you want a set price go to ebay and use buy it now.

Just saying.
    03-16-09 03:36 AM
    If the guy who sold you the phone was smart he used a prepaid phone with no tracking history!
    More than likely this guy is not too smart so i doubt he used that option, plus the fact that the sidekick is not a prepaid compatible phone. I would suggest going to TMobile and having them lookup the number, they should have a person linked to it and should have an address where they send the bill. You may not be able to access this information, but the PD can so give them the info as well.

Sorry to hear about it though, some people really are worthless (the guy who sold it to you, not you).
    03-16-09 04:03 AM
    More than likely this guy is not too smart so i doubt he used that option, plus the fact that the sidekick is not a prepaid compatible phone. I would suggest going to TMobile and having them lookup the number, they should have a person linked to it and should have an address where they send the bill. You may not be able to access this information, but the PD can so give them the info as well.

Sorry to hear about it though, some people really are worthless (the guy who sold it to you, not you).

Well if he got away with it, He maybe stupid enough to try it again someday.. Keep looking on CL for phones and his type of info and you may get lucky some day, week, or month.

Anyways to the reply from above, I remember watching some sort of news on TV where a crime was committed (I think it was about him calling fast food chains and doing something to them). Well they the PD couldn't trace or get the info from the Phone company but how they caught him was the Phone company told them the store and time (Since the store has to activate it when purchased) the card was purchased. I believe it was either Sam's or Walmart and they pulled the Video with that time stamp and there he was. They plastered his face in the News and caught him the next day.
    03-16-09 06:28 AM
    sucks.... sorry.

at least you got a really nice mp3 player.
    03-16-09 07:14 AM
    Yea your pretty much out of luck dude, ur money gone. ib got mines off of craigslist, but i brought friends, told the guy id kick his *** if he didnt come to verizon with me.
    03-16-09 07:21 AM

yes it really is
    03-16-09 07:23 AM
    Man sorry to hear about that. I bought mine off of craigs as well. I asked for the ESN before I bought it and called vzw so they can check the lost/stolen list. You might want to do that the next time you buy a used phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 08:41 AM
    So I bought a storm off of craigslist and I was going to unlock it and use it on ATT. Well dumb me I didnt think to check it out or anything because the battery was extremely low.

I bought the unlock code and when I went to enter it the mep box wouldn't pop up. So I started reading a little bit and looked around and I realized that the amount of times a code could be entered had been reached, before I even got it, and now I'm pretty sure that it's locked down completely

Well long story short I'm pretty sure the phone is stolen. The seller isnt responding to my calls or emails and I'm out the cash and have a storm I can't even use.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

PM me for some advice if you want.....
    03-16-09 08:42 AM
    Lesson of the day: Ebay.

Hey same thing happened to me, bought a phone of CL. Got home and it had a pink sticker.

/sigh.

Maybe a T-Mobile rep over in the T-Mo forum might break CoC and accidently pull up his account.

Ebay is not much better than CL...lots of stolen stuff on there too. The only benefit you get is that if you pay with P@yP@l, you're insured for MOST of your money, that you will get back SOMEDAY --- anybody ever file an insurance claim with those folks - takes forever and a day, then they deduct a percentage for their troubles LOL
    03-16-09 08:46 AM
    Here's an update just in case everyone was wondering. I called up verizon and found out that the storm was in fact stolen. So I called up the seller and told him that I found that out and that I was going to go to the police and report him for it.

What do you know I get an email from him a little later that day. Saying he was "out of town" and he tried giving me the run around saying I should contact the person he bought it from and a whole bunch of other things.

Long story short, I finally got him to agree to give my money back. After trying to meet up 3 different times, I met with him and got my money back last night.

I feel kind of bad because I didn't get it back to the original owner but, I needed to get the money back I paid for it. Hopefully this guy will return it too them and not try to sell it to anyone else.
    03-19-09 11:43 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD