I've read so many good and bad things about the Storm I've decided the only way to find out for sure is to try it for myself.

Anyone else had any on the previous phones I've mentioned about and been happy with their move to the Storm.

- I really liked my Bold, just a little large to carry, otherwise no complaints/great phone.

- Curve 8900, also a great phone no complaints, missing wifi but have 3G so no big deal for me.

-iPhone , absolutely love it, touch screens are GREAT, I like everything about the iPhone .... EXCEPT ... it SUCKS for handling email ... I can't understand why when Apple hit a home run in every respect except how it handles email. Imagine if they came out with a email system for the iphone close as good as how the BB handles email/text it would be incredible.

Email is the most important part of my smart phone so when I'm using the iPhone I'm really missing the BB.

The only way to get the BB email system and a touch screen is to try a Storm.

Good idea?
    03-27-09 11:26 PM
    I've read so many good and bad things about the Storm I've decided the only way to find out for sure is to try it for myself.

Anyone else had any on the previous phones I've mentioned about and been happy with their move to the Storm.

- I really liked my Bold, just a little large to carry, otherwise no complaints/great phone.

- Curve 8900, also a great phone no complaints, missing wifi but have 3G so no big deal for me.

-iPhone , absolutely love it, touch screens are GREAT, I like everything about the iPhone .... EXCEPT ... it SUCKS for handling email ... I can't understand why when Apple hit a home run in every respect except how it handles email. Imagine if they came out with a email system for the iphone close as good as how the BB handles email/text it would be incredible.

Email is the most important part of my smart phone so when I'm using the iPhone I'm really missing the BB.

Good idea?
    To me I dont consider the iPhone a "smartphone". Between the iPhone and the Storm they are 2 different animals. No sense in comparing the 2 as they both do what they are designed to do well. The only reason I could see you changing is because of email and that is worth the change.
    03-27-09 11:28 PM
    I had every phone that you had and left them for the same reason you did!! the iphone really pissed me off because i kept messing out on my work emails. dont have that problem like my storm
    03-28-09 12:35 AM
    Unless the email is an enormous drawback I would wait. The storm is not reliable, has poor phone call quality, and mechanical issues. Until these problems are addressed STAY AWAY. RIM will be forced to correct these annoyances in newer versions of the phone (at least if they want to stay in business). Once the storm is updated/perfected it will likely be a great device. It has potential...but NONE of that potential has been fulfilled.
    03-28-09 12:49 AM
    Thanks. Yes, I'm going to give it a try, hope to get one tomorrow and go from there.
    03-28-09 01:21 AM
    Try using Marcus's Gold Code when you get the storm. I'm switching back and forth from a bold and installing the hybrid os today, it was much much better. Internet is quick, almost comparable to my bold on 3g and the stability seems promising. If it were not for this hybrid, I wouldn't have recommended the phone.
    03-28-09 03:35 AM
    Wow can't believe you tried them all that's crazy ! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 06:08 AM
    I came from the iPhone to the storm and with .114 I actually love it. They have a ways to go with the OS still but I'm sure they will eventually get there.

03-28-09 08:11 AM
    I went from a curve 8300 to a storm 9530 and 2 days ago I just got an iphone 3g
    And in my opinion, as of right now I think the iphone is best. The storm is having too
    Many problems right now. Maybe if the accelerometer was a lot faster maybe it could
    Compete with the iphone... But they are taking way to long with these os updates,
    and just like most people I am tired of waiting!!!!

Its my opinion so say what you want

03-28-09 08:49 AM
    anyone moved from any of the phones mentioned above to the storm?
    03-29-09 07:55 PM
    I moved from Iphone to LG Dare to Instinct to Curve and now to Storm. Honestly if ATT service was better where I live I would have kept the iphone. Storm is giving me too much trouble .... i wanna like it but dont have any good reasons to. As of now I am waiting for the Pre as it seems a pretty complete phone. Maybe the new Storm updates will improve it but not sure when they'd be released. Its freakin April and we are still stuck on .75. Alright enough said ..... nothing wrong in trying for yourself.
    03-29-09 08:06 PM
    It's absolutely worth it, but trust me when I say you want to start out with OS versions like .113 or .114.
    03-29-09 08:14 PM

Good idea?

Good idea to try it for at least a week in order to acclimate yourself to the device. It also helps a lot if you tweak the keyboard/screen settings to your liking -- that made a big difference to me.

I'm lucky, I haven't had problems with my Storm, but others have. I waited about two months before upgrading to .109.

The best thing about the Storm, though, is the network. A phone can only be as good as its network, and I'm not giving up Verizon's network to deal with the others. However, that's in the States. Canada is probably different.
    03-29-09 08:22 PM
    Man, I still can't bring myself to hit the "Buy" button for the Storm, LOL.... just when I'm about to I notice another Post from someone screaming about their Storm.

Does anyone here use a Storm on Rogers?

Anyone else gone from iPhone to the Storm? Love it, hate it?

Thanks
    03-30-09 10:11 AM
    Stick with the iPhone. It's better. And yes I've tried both.
    03-30-09 10:15 AM
    get the storm, dude, yes there are bugs, but the good definetely outways the bad
    03-30-09 10:16 AM
    Stick with the iPhone. It's better. And yes I've tried both.
    sticking with the iPhone doesn't solve my problem of not liking how it handles email.

Llikely will keep my iPhone since it does everything else very very well, (I don't have the carrier problem like some do in the US).

I carried the Bold for a while, now the 8900, I prefer a touch screen and a larger screen over them, that's why I'm so fond of my iPhone.

From reading here it sure seems like a gamble as to whether or not I'll like the Storm ...

I really wonder what Rim's "inside" take is on the Storm, are they pulling their hair out scrambling to fix it, have they moved on to something better and hope the Storm event just fades away ... they've been VERY tight lipped about any comments surrounding the Storm ...
    03-30-09 10:25 AM
    Out of all the smartphones I have had; Nokia, Treo. The Storm, although it has it's quirks, it has been the most reliable. The quality of the phone calls and emails is top notch, no complaints. I had a lot of dropped calls with the Treo in areas where the signal was strong and should not have had problems. I have two collegues that have iPhones and they constantly complain about their phones dropping calls etc. Just the other day, we were out in a rural area where I had a weak signal and was making calls and getting my emails, although the call quality was bad, I was getting phone calls. Both of them just say it's just the network, but I am suspicious of that. Both of these guys love their phones, and wouldn't trade up, but I could not live with a device that was that unrelible especially if I depended on a phone to work when I need it. But whats funny, if we go out together the Storm will always be there for them to use it. I just wish the Storm had a better calander and some features that the Palm devices have. I also wish the Storm was built as tough as the Treos, there is a reason why that phone has the nickname "The Brick". You should spend some time with the phone and take advantage of the 30 day return. I thought that I would be returning it and sticking with the Treo, glad I didn't.
    Last edited by jbdale; 03-30-09 at 10:33 AM.
    03-30-09 10:30 AM
    I moved from Iphone to LG Dare to Instinct to Curve and now to Storm. Honestly if ATT service was better where I live I would have kept the iphone. Storm is giving me too much trouble .... i wanna like it but dont have any good reasons to. As of now I am waiting for the Pre as it seems a pretty complete phone. Maybe the new Storm updates will improve it but not sure when they'd be released. Its freakin April and we are still stuck on .75. Alright enough said ..... nothing wrong in trying for yourself.
    Why don't you try upgrading the OS and see if you think it's better. All I can say, is that .113 has changed this phones' abilities by leaps and bounds.
    03-30-09 10:37 AM
    Ive tried the BOLD on ATT, the iphone 3G ATT and the Verizon curve 8330. Now im on the STORM .113.
    I have the curve and i got an itch that i wanted the BOLD. So i went to ATT and got the bold and started a new contract knowing that i had 30 days to return and cancel.
    The BOLD as a phone is great, they keyboard and screen is great. As for the ATT service, it sucks at least in my area. The first call i made was call failed. The data was slow, it would never stay on 3G, always switched back and forth the EDGE is like dial up. I use my lap top to tether on the weekends at work and that sucked also. I took the bold back and got the iphone 3G. I could not get the typing down on that thing and the battery life sucked. I didn't like how the web browser was set up and how when you scroll it shows all those little checkers while it loads. The phone call quality was crap also and again it would never stay on 3G. I just didn't like it. I did like how my exchange email was set up. I would have kept either phone if they were on the VERIZON network. I will never go back to ATT just for a phone. I brought the iphone back and went get the storm. So far it has been good and the data and network are great as always.
    03-30-09 10:46 AM
    Carrier problems aside, what's your preferred phone?

The iphone and unlocked storms get bad raps because many in aren't pleased with the GSM providers in the US....

We don't have that problem in my area, Rogers GSM service is decent, so if anything goes wrong it would be the Storms fault
    03-30-09 11:06 AM
    uniquest
    You can't simply compare the two phone. I've had the iphone 3g, then i had the bold about 2 weeks ago, then is switch to the storm. First off you might have to narrow down why your switching to the blackberry. Maybe the best email/im/client phone ever built? There definitely different phones. I enjoyed the Iphone because it simply is one of the best phone ever built. Software and developers on that phone is enormous but the storm hold up on its own. still granted it does have many bugs, and i'm assuming your ether a tmobile/at@t switcher that mean you might get the unlock storm. This also mean you might run into other bug as well. The current hybrid OS 114 v3 has profoundly changed the entire makeup of the phone and has made it quite honestly "almost perfect" but still has many major bug. Hope it will be fix soon..

Now I'm just ranting but I'm trying to give you the clearest picture possible. Your switching to the blackberry service other then this there is no point to the switch. Stick with the Iphone if not your not planing on getting the blackberry service. But if you are then your in a whole new playing field.

So far the Storm currently does not have as many software avaliable "compared to the Iphone" but with the software it does have it is very productive and very well built.

The texting personality is a lot better in this phone. You get a major up when you start feeling the response of the clicking.

Browser is probably one of the best feature becuase it does give you full html. It doesn't compare to the "iphone" but it does do okay.

Batter life drains quickly. I cant keep a charge for more then 4 hours under constant use "emailing/web/texting"

Overall I'm quite happy with the new firmware the OS doesn't lag very much and it seem very intuitive to your need. I say try it! Best thing or go to the Verizon store and use it for yourself before you commit
    03-30-09 11:07 AM
    To me I dont consider the iPhone a "smartphone".
    I thought that was a crazy comment ... of COURSE it's a SMART phone, arguably the 'smartest' phone on the Planet ... I don't like how the iPhone handles email, that's it, everything else about it I love.

PS - engadget.com agrees ... iPhone rated Best Smartphone of the YEAR ! lol

I see the Storm won a prize too ... the 'worst' smart phone of the year ...

decision made for me, use my iPhone for everything except email, I'll use my 8900 for that, best of both worlds at this time, imo.
    03-30-09 02:46 PM
    why get rid of the 8900, seems like the best BB yet...who really cares about WIFI.
    03-30-09 02:59 PM
    8900 has wifi
    03-30-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD