Hey all,

So apparently there's some distinction to be between Storms made in Canada vs those made in Mexico as though they weren't the same in terms of the hardware itself. I have heard people say that they had trouble with this or that and then reference where their's was made. So i decided maybe this is something worth discussing. I have had two Storms now, one from Canada and one from Mexico. Below are my observations. Please note, I don't know if the differences are directly related to where it was made or if is just sheer coincidence. Let me know your thoughts.

My first device, purchased the day the Storm was released in the U.S. was made in Canada. I had some trouble with clicking on the screen (especially in the corners). For instance, whenever I would be typing, either in portrait or both the landscapes, clicking the enter button was ****. Also I had a ridiculous amount of dust under my screen. As for the clicking in the corners, I thought this was just how the Storms were and something I would have to live with.

Then I was at the mall and came to the Verizon kiosk. I started playing with the Storm on display which had undoubtedly been abused by hundreds or even thousands of passers-by. And to my surprise, the screen was so much easier to use than my own.

So I called Verizon and had them send me a replacement. This one is made in Mexico. The screen is SOOOO much easier to click throughout. Corners are just as easy as anywhere else. And no dust under the screen. So I now truly love the Storm.

Has anyone else had any Mexico vs Canada stories? Again, I don't know if it is directly correlated but I would be interested to hear anyone's insight on the matter.
    04-24-09 12:57 PM
    Really?? No one has an opinion on this?
    04-24-09 01:28 PM
    I too had the same luck you had phareone. I've had the storm since November and the dust was horrible. It was made in Canada. So verizon sent me a replacement storm (made in Mexico) and it is a lot better. I have no dust under the screen any more and I can actually hear the click in the screen now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 01:44 PM
    You dont have a very good example to compare. You had a first gen storm and now a later gen storm. Ofcoarse the later gen will perform better.

A better test would be two storms made in the same gen from both places.
    04-24-09 01:44 PM
    try this one on for size:

Had a Storm made in canada build date, Jan 03...didnt click quite right, but i didnt notice because I had no basis of comparison. After a while, had some dust under the screen problems, and after reading up, the corners did feel soft without a nice click...

so I opted for the 30 day no questions exchange at the telus store.

New storm, tested in store; perfect click (and still no dust under the screen after about a month), everything was great. checked the build date...

Jan 03, Made in Canada.

So it REALLY does vary even within the same run of units.
    04-24-09 01:55 PM
    i had the exact opposite with the 2 iv'e had as the op.

mexico had bad click and the bright blue screen, canada had the "yellow" screen and a better click.

i believe it's random, and country of origin has no bearing
    04-24-09 01:57 PM
    try this one on for size:

Had a Storm made in canada build date, Jan 03...didnt click quite right, but i didnt notice because I had no basis of comparison. After a while, had some dust under the screen problems, and after reading up, the corners did feel soft without a nice click...

so I opted for the 30 day no questions exchange at the telus store.

New storm, tested in store; perfect click (and still no dust under the screen after about a month), everything was great. checked the build date...

Jan 03, Made in Canada.

So it REALLY does vary even within the same run of units.
    Interesting...where can you find the build date?
    04-24-09 01:58 PM
    Really?? No one has an opinion on this?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...nada+vs+Mexico

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/mex...nada+vs+Mexico

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...nada+vs+Mexico

Here's my opinion. There's alot of threads on this subject. I think there's even a new version made in Hungary. Lol
    Last edited by MePascal; 04-24-09 at 02:02 PM.
    04-24-09 01:59 PM
    vs Made in Hungary!

04-24-09 02:02 PM
    vs Made in Hungary!

I read it in a thread somewhere. I'm sure I can take it to the bank.LMAO
    04-24-09 02:03 PM
    04-24-09 02:04 PM
    Yeah, mine was made in Hungary

04-24-09 02:05 PM
    Wow, I never realized that.
    04-24-09 02:08 PM
    Wow, I never realized that.
    Search function is a great thing.........

It's like mom's hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream on the side.
    04-24-09 02:10 PM
    Search function is a great thing.........

It's like mom's hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream on the side.
    I appreciate the lighthearted flaming.
    04-24-09 02:23 PM
    both of my storm(s) are made in canada, one is flawless the other i had to adjust screws for the screen... i guess it's based on how "quickly" they shoot out from the production...
    04-24-09 02:48 PM
    I've had click issues and dust with Mexican and Canadian Storms. I haven't noticed a difference in build quality (both are fairly crappy ).
    04-24-09 02:51 PM
    Wow, this topic is new and exciting.

God, doesn't it get tiring being so negative all the time?

04-24-09 02:51 PM
    Good information and thanks guys. I have the Mexico version and so far so good.
    12-02-09 10:42 PM
    first i had my storm 2 made in canada...got the problem with the screen..was freezed cannot click..same happened to my friend..so they replaced me the new one. is made in mexico5..no problem so far. except i had numbers of drop call during the talk. but that before i changed my memori card to smaller size. since then..the problem gone away.
    02-19-10 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD