I did a bit of quick searching and of course there are TONS of threads on battery life and what not but I haven't seen anything else like this. I've had my storm since day 2. I ordered it on the day it was released and it was next day aired to me.

Last night I had about 50% remaining at the end of the day which is lower than I usually have but it was a heavier use day... So I put it on the cradle which I do every night to charge up. When I awoke it was just flat out off. Thankfully I have a backup alarm clock. I'm an electrical engineer I don't really trust electronics all that much...

Anyway I figured well **** maybe it was just making bad contact. So I took it to work and charged it for about 3 or 4 hours. The red light would come on for a second (like it was trying to boot) then it would just shut off. I let it sit like that and after about 4 hours it still wouldn't turn on.

I took it to the VZW store and they dropped another battery into the phone and poof it came up. They tested the battery in another phone and it wouldn't do anything... They then tried charging my battery in another phone and it did give it just enough charge to boot my phone then say the battery was dead and shut down again. When I measured the cell I was seeing 2.4V which is getting REALLY low for a LI cell...

Anyone else run into this?

--------------------------------------------------------
    Begin VZW Rant:
    So after my amazement that the guy actually stated he wasn't sure if it was my phone's charging circuit or my battery it went down hill from there. First I was impressed that the VZW tech was able to employ logic as often that escapes them. He then told me they didn't have any Storm batteries in the store so they'd have to mail me one. I said ok so you'll be next day airing that to me then right. He said no you'll have to pay for next day air shipping. I mentioned that they needed to provide me with a loaner phone and/or credit me for the time they were leaving me down. I then also asked if he'd checked that the Kiosk at the mall had any batteries. He assured me that he did check and they didn't have any.

Anyway after my first rant about wanting a loaner phone and not paying for service he got a manager to authorize next day air shipping.

I didn't trust the guy that he called the Kiosk so I called and asked if they had any batteries. Sure enough they did. Then I asked if they were available to be used for warranty swap outs. He said that they were. I dropped in show them my phone and that it wouldn't turn on and told them that it had already been debugged by VZW techs that its the battery that is the issue. He swapped the battery with a brand new out right out of the plastic and poof on comes the phone. He then said welp looks like that fixes things heres your phone have a nice day. He didn't want my name or my phone number or anything. Just poof swapped and here have a nice day sir. (THATS HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK!) The only thing annoying about the kiosk is that there were 5 people in the kiosk and 3 standing around it and I still had a 15 minute wait.... (this was much more annoying in that I had a 20 minute wait at the first store and he took at least another 20 to figure out that the battery was the problem. He even made me wait while he tried to charge things and he knew I was on lunch. The least he could have done was tell me to go get some food while he ran that experiment...

END RANT
    ---------------------------------------------

Anyway in the end I got a new battery and the phone was able to charge it and all is seeming ok.. However 9 months for a battery seems a bit short. Oh well at least it looks like I'll have 2 batteries for it here soon.

~Brett
    08-05-09 02:22 AM
    I think this may of happened to my battery this morning. When I went to sleep last night I had atleast 60% battery left. Went to sleep w/o charging it, and when I woke up the phone was on, but the radio was turned off. I plugged in the phone to my usb computer charger (left wall charger at work) and then after 45 minutes the battery in the status menu still said 0%. So I turned the Storm off and let it charge while turned off for 2 hours. Now I cant get it turned on. Tried battery pull, and nothing works. The light is just stuck on red. It's still hooked up to my computer, 3 hours later...

I have an extra extended battery but the ghetto plastic case is broke and I accidentally spilled a little water on the battery the other day and I'm afraid to use it now.

Any ideas?
    08-08-09 03:11 PM
    After hearing a news report on phones and batteries the other day, the only thing I could suggest is kind of obvious: Get another battery.

These batteries don't run even the amount of time they are advertised to run. I get about 18 hours a day out of mine.

A suggested way to extend battery life is to recharge it at 20-40% and every few weeks run it out completely.

Good luck guys.
    08-08-09 03:20 PM
    Get another battery.
    That is exactly what I'm trying not to do. Battery has worked fine until I turned the phone off this morning.
    08-08-09 03:41 PM
    I went to the Verizon store and they said its most likely a bad USB cable. Anybody else use there USB connector cable as a charger?
    08-08-09 05:17 PM
    Well it is better that the battery goes flat rather then explod
    08-13-09 04:12 AM
    Just a note that USB ports on a computer do not put out as much power as a wall power source. Not quite sure you can get your phone to go backwards while on computer power, but it will be slower.
    08-13-09 05:56 AM

A suggested way to extend battery life is to recharge it at 20-40% and every few weeks run it out completely.
    That really doesn't apply to these types of batteries since they don't have the memory that Nicad, NiMh, etc. have.
    08-13-09 06:16 AM
    Its a bad USB port on the handset itself.
    I had the EXACT same problem and VZW switched it out for free.

I'd always wake up to the phone with it dead as a doornail and radio off. Switched out batteries but it never helped. The last straw was when I was late for work because the alarm didn't go off.
    Last edited by Zakko; 08-13-09 at 09:55 AM.
    08-13-09 09:52 AM
    Its a bad USB port on the handset itself.
    I had the EXACT same problem and VZW switched it out for free.

I'd always wake up to the phone with it dead as a doornail and radio off. Switched out batteries but it never helped. The last straw was when I was late for work because the alarm didn't go off.
    that's what you get for not using an alarm clock. That's kinda what they're made for. lol
    08-13-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD