Ok, so I'm planning on getting a blackberry device on may21 from verizon when my contract ends. I am officially 100% new to the BB community and to Crackberry so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place or anything. So far, I have been quite intrigued by the Blackberry storm. But I do have doubts.

I know the complaints of the phone, such as battery life, its slow, the screen can have problems clicking and shutting itself off.

My question is are there any other problems I should be aware of?

Also, I know there are quite a few OS leaks and updates and wanted to know how they have effected the phone. (I know there's an OS page and I can look there if asking her is a problem)

Basically I just need advice as a newcomer to what you all think I should do. Right now I am looking at getting the Storm but that could change depending on any advice you guys could give, being experts and all Please forgive my newness once again. Thanks guys and girls!
    05-06-09 03:56 PM
    Well, it is a device that you should make sure you know about before you buy it. I would read on everything you want to do, OS upgrades, etc, before you do it.

The stock OS is junk with this. The Hybrids are amazing with the difference from out of the box.

I, personally haven't had any of the hardware issues others had aside from a difficult screen click, which I fixed with half a business card behind the battery.

Don't expect a perfect device out of the box. The haters here expected a perfect device, as RIM is known for, but this is a first gen device, so it's not perfect, but can be fun if you don't mind playing with it for a bit.

Regardless which BB you go with, welcome to Crackberry and enjoy your addiction, lol
    05-06-09 04:00 PM
    I have the Storm and I love it... your going to get alot of mixed opinions to your questions; the best thing to do is get the phone, if you find it's not for you for whatever reason, exchange it for something else.
    05-06-09 04:01 PM
    This is without a doubt a newby question, but does downloading leaked OS's void any insurance or warranty you may get? The only reason I ask is because if I wanted to exchange it within the 30 days allowed, would trying out new OS's void my capability of doing that?
    05-06-09 04:05 PM
    You can always downgrade it back to .75
    05-06-09 04:07 PM
    Ya, thats true. Didn't think that one through. Thanks so far for the help ladies and gents. Any others would be geat
    05-06-09 04:13 PM
    This is without a doubt a newby question, but does downloading leaked OS's void any insurance or warranty you may get? The only reason I ask is because if I wanted to exchange it within the 30 days allowed, would trying out new OS's void my capability of doing that?
    No it wont, but before you go in to exchange it, you would have to downgrade to an offical OS.
    05-06-09 04:14 PM
    And I just got my Storm too, infact my 30 days will be up on may 20th. But i love this phone, it was my first BB and im never looking back.

I would recommend upgrading the OS to either a .132 hybrid or a .141 hybrid, I personally use the .141 hybrid, but it all depends on how your phone would work with it. all stroms have a mind of their own
    05-06-09 04:16 PM
    The Storm is my first BB and so far I love it, after a few leaked os's... Like
    flowers74 said you will get mixed opinions and you could try it for the first
    30 days, and if it's not for you trade it in for something elese. Maybe bye
    the time you get it there may be a new os update...Ha ha ha...sorry about
    joke but I could not help my self. Just read the forms and try and take a few
    for a test drive.

Good luck...

Running .141 and loving the Storm
    Last edited by maserati13; 05-06-09 at 04:24 PM.
    05-06-09 04:20 PM
    I have a storm and an iPhone and prefer my Storm over the iPhone. I run a few hundred websites, so the email is possibly the most important feature for me. The only thing I really like better about the iPhone is the stability and the games apps (though many of the top ones there are coming to the storm).

I guess my point is that I really love my Storm. If the iPhone is the perfect device, well, I like my Storm better!

Edit: Oh, and i'm running the .141 hybrid OS.
    05-06-09 04:25 PM
    A hybrid os is one where java files from multiple os have been taken to make one particular os. Think of it as grabbing the best parts from each os and putting them all into one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 04:27 PM
    Ya, I deleted that comment after I realized how dumb of a question it was. lol
    05-06-09 04:37 PM
    There is a learning curve to the device for sure. And updating the OS will give you a better chance of enjoying the device. There is a bunch of help in the tips section of the forum. The first item I always run through with new users is (and have your sales rep show you): Options > Screen Keyboard > change font, change side keys to something you use (address book / messages), and change the back light. After that I teach people how to Hide / move icons and create folders. Then run the start up wizard.

I do this about 15 times a day it seems to help. Really basic "oh" moments that make use a little easier.
    Last edited by chase1337; 05-06-09 at 04:45 PM.
    05-06-09 04:38 PM
    Ya...my first plan is to get used to it as a BB device. No tinkering with it with it too much the first couple of days. I just want to understand the layout and what not.

Another question I have is that I've heard that there is an optimal way to set some of your Storm's settings? I can;t remember which but its has to do with typing speed or something. Sorry to be so vague
    05-06-09 04:56 PM
    NO it will not void your warranty in any way, My first storm took a dump, and I was running .109 beta on it, and the verizon support rep walked me through trying to restore the .75 os, before issueing me a new device... The key is they DO NOT support software issues that can arise from the use of unofficial leaks, but do honor defective hardware issues.

Personally I have tried a number of the betas, and .132 & .141 are really solid... I hear alot of awesome things about the hybrida also, but stick to the betas, as I don't necessarily want hacked and patched software...
    05-06-09 07:54 PM
    NO it will not void your warranty in any way, My first storm took a dump, and I was running .109 beta on it, and the verizon support rep walked me through trying to restore the .75 os, before issueing me a new device... The key is they DO NOT support software issues that can arise from the use of unofficial leaks, but do honor defective hardware issues.

Personally I have tried a number of the betas, and .132 & .141 are really solid... I hear alot of awesome things about the hybrida also, but stick to the betas, as I don't necessarily want hacked and patched software...

i'm gonna tradmark that phrase...lol!

i'd say start with .75, will be fine for learning how to use. once you're comfortable with typing, and all the settings, etc...then you can decide if you want to upgrade. i'd say .132 or .141 are the only ones worth upgrading to, i don't trust hybrids, you don't know if something important you'll need is missing or where the files are coming from...unless you hybrid it yourself! PM me if you need helped....
    05-06-09 08:12 PM
    dude just wait for the storm 2, I mean storm 1 is ok just laggin sometimes and there's a lot of leak OS.. I leak mines .141 it's fine a little change here and there and also you can downgrade it back to .75 so if I was you I'll just wait what storm 2 bring.
    05-06-09 08:19 PM
    storm 2 is a ways away...you could have a baby before it got here i bet...not like i'd try, but still...under the right circumstances a child could be concieved and born before the storm 2 is released.
    05-06-09 08:23 PM
    Not really it's coming out this year, i mean you can try the storm for 30 days if you don't like it then exchange it.
    05-06-09 08:29 PM
    i was being sarcastic, but thanks for the reality check

my point was don't wait for "vaoprware"...deal in tangible items and you'll be much more happier. that is also my advice for VZW with their OS testing
    05-06-09 08:41 PM
    Live a little, get a Storm.

It's kinda like that girlfriend that is high maintenance, loves to bust your chops and give you s**t, but is a lot of fun and great in bed, and of course hot as ****.
    05-06-09 08:42 PM
    i hated the storm when i first got it but after typing all my contacts in i got used to the typing..

battery life kicks a$$ on the .141 build
    05-06-09 08:44 PM
    my battery life suxxxored but i got a new battery and its tits, so i think it was the actual battery crapping out, not the OS draining it...
    05-06-09 08:51 PM
    I would recommend making sure that every area of the screen clicks before you leave the store. We went through 3 out of the box with my wife before we got one that clicked everywhere. Especially check the lower left quadrant in portrait mode. Both of ours were checked in store and we haven't needed any under the battery fixes for the click. It is by far the best phone I have had, don't let all the haters out there talk you out of it.
    05-06-09 08:58 PM
    i'll go ahead and speak for everyone in the world, since i'm obviously a wise ninja...
    only you can decide for yourself, that is the point of everyone's post here...
    05-06-09 09:01 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD