THE COMPLETE 411

BB PLANS AVAILABLE BY THEMSELVES:

(BIS) Email and Web - $30, includes unlimited email and internet -->NOT AVAILABLE IN A BUNDLE
    (BES) Unlimited Data - $45, includes unlimited email, internet, and push for enterprise/exchange servers, ONLY GET IF YOU NEED THIS FOR WORK

BB BUNDLE PLANS (THESE INCLUDE ENTERPRISE/EXCHANGE SERVER PUSHING FROM A CORPORATE ACCOUNT AKA BES):
    BB (AKA Nationwide Email) bundles start @ $80, includes 450 minutes AND unlimited data ($45), saves you $5

BB (AKA Nationwide email and messaging) bundles starting @ $100 include 450 minutes, unlimited data ($45), AND unlimiting messaging (saves $5)

IF YOU DO NOT NEED PUSH EMAIL FROM A WORK SERVER GET THE $30 EMAIL AND WEB (AKA BIS) PLAN, NO BUNDLES!!

If you need unlimited texting:
    Select plan= voice and unlimited texting

Select plan AND $30 BIS (email and web)= total $90

If you DO NOT need unlimited texting:
    Basic plan AND $30 BIS (email and web) = total $70
    add features as needed
    It appears to me that the unlimited (select) voice plan is $120, which when combined with the $30 BIS fee adds up to $150. By contrast, the BB-Bundle with unlimited voice/text is $130. So even though I don't need the BES stuff, wouldn't the BB-bundle save me $20 a month?
    11-19-08 01:07 PM
    So basically I can keep my 39.99 voice plan and add on the 29.99 data and then just download a 3rd party app for aim, so verizon doesn't use my text messaging.

GOOD TO KNOW. Thanks guys! This makes it very clear. If I need to, I'll get unlimited texting later.
    11-19-08 01:10 PM
    You're starting to reach here. There is no 'skirting' involved. There is no 'mobile IM plan' to skirt, it's an application. Dumbphones don't have true data or application support so the Verizon Mobile IM app is the only option. Blackberries and other smartphones have real apps that use data which is why Verizon has a data plan. You think they aren't aware of PAID IM applications such as Jivetalk? If it was against their Terms of Service they would have put a stop to it long ago.

You had partial correct information, others filled in the rest. Time to let it go.
    PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry� Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit.

You can interpret this many different ways but this line has been used to kick people off for tethering their device without the Verizon tethering app. Since devices like the Storm come pre-installed with MobileIM you would be in violation of this line of the agreement to not use "the device’s native applications".

A stated earlier, I don't know of anyone booted for using a 3rd party IM client. But Verizon has put disclaimers in their fine print to cover their revenue streams. Otherwise everyone would be using 3rd party apps & Verizon wouldn't make anything off text messaging or other services. Just because its not heavily enforced doesn't mean its not in the fine print.
    11-19-08 01:15 PM
    It appears to me that the unlimited (select) voice plan is $120, which when combined with the $30 BIS fee adds up to $150. By contrast, the BB-Bundle with unlimited voice/text is $130. So even though I don't need the BES stuff, wouldn't the BB-bundle save me $20 a month?
    the unlimited voice and text (select) is $120. add BIS for $30, so yes $150

however, nationwide email and text with unlimited minutes is $150 (not $130).

technically it's 149.98 for the BIS and select versus 149.99 for the bundle.

however, if u get an access discount thru work, the bundle would make more sense as you get the discount off of the $149.99 total compared to $120 for unlimited text and voice.

IE 10% discount on $150 =$135
    10% off on the select and BIS = 10% of 120 + $30 = $138
    Last edited by phillypharm; 11-19-08 at 01:22 PM.
    11-19-08 01:20 PM
    So basically I can keep my 39.99 voice plan and add on the 29.99 data and then just download a 3rd party app for aim, so verizon doesn't use my text messaging.

GOOD TO KNOW. Thanks guys! This makes it very clear. If I need to, I'll get unlimited texting later.
    yeah, i plan on doing 39.99 for 450 minutes, 29.99 for BIS and adding either 250 text messages for $5 or 500 plus unlimited IN for $10
    11-19-08 01:23 PM
    the unlimited voice and text (select) is $120. add BIS for $30, so yes $150

however, nationwide email and text with unlimited minutes is $150 (not $130).

technically it's 149.98 for the BIS and select versus 149.99 for the bundle.

however, if u get an access discount thru work, the bundle would make more sense as you get the discount off of the $149.99 total compared to $120 for unlimited text and voice.

IE 10% discount on $150 =$135
    10% off on the select and BIS = 10% of 120 + $30 = $138
    Ahh...my mistake on the unlimited bundle, got it confused with the 1350 bundle. I think my only other question is with regard to tethering. The OP in this thread said tethering is $15 with any plan except the 29.99 BIS plan, on which it's $30. If I understand that correctly, that means tethering will cost me an extra $15 if I do unlimited select + BIS as opposed to the unlimited nationwide bundle. Do I have that right?
    11-19-08 01:35 PM
    POST UPDATED TO REFLECT 1350 AND UNLIMITED MINUTE PLANS AND TETHERING:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bla...tml#post996404
    11-19-08 01:36 PM
    Ahh...my mistake on the unlimited bundle, got it confused with the 1350 bundle. I think my only other question is with regard to tethering. The OP in this thread said tethering is $15 with any plan except the 29.99 BIS plan, on which it's $30. If I understand that correctly, that means tethering will cost me an extra $15 if I do unlimited select + BIS as opposed to the unlimited nationwide bundle. Do I have that right?
    unlimited select for $120, BIS for $30, tethering will be $30 more for a total of $180

nationwide email and text with unlimited voice (includes BES) is $150, tethering will be $15 more for a total of $165.
    11-19-08 01:39 PM
    I used pdanet on my motorola q for Verizon Wireless Tethering, and it worked perfect, pdanet will not work on a blackberry. But I have found the same type of program for a 1 time fee that will do the same thing. it is MOBISHARK, I never had any problems with pdanet and I used it all the time, like now lol and foe Geocaching I would have it on all day long and never had a problem with verizon. I plan on using MOBISHARK on the storm. Let me know what you think???
    Last edited by joeandjeni; 11-20-08 at 08:45 PM.
    11-20-08 08:40 PM
    i have 2 lines on my account (2nd for 9.99) my wife and i will both be getting Storms, do I have to one or two unlimited email and internet plans?
    11-20-08 08:50 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD