Hi All,
    I just got my Curve 8330 last week and LOVE it. Still getting it figured out but I'm getting there. Now the new Samsung Instinct was released today. I want to get something for my daughter and would like to know what the pros and cons are between the Curve and the new Samsung IPhone. I know you are all fellow BB lovers but I would really love to know from informed people, (which I am not),
    about the advantages and disadvantages and differences. It looks like they both do the same thing.

THANKS!!!!
    06-20-08 01:43 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

First of all, how old is your daughter??

Do you think it is practical for her to have a BlackBerry?? If not, then consider other devices...

There are a lot of different options for cell phones these days; from the free flip-phones that get the basic calling done.... to, well, smart phones that do everything!!

You make the choice. $$ will make the difference
    06-20-08 01:48 PM
    Actually, as hard as this is to admit, she is almost 30!!!! Ouch..lol. These types of phones would be very good for her use. I just don't know what the differences are.
    06-20-08 01:52 PM
    If you want an Instinct on Sprint, you'd better call ASAP. I just got off the phone ordering me a Curve and she told me the Instict was like 95% of their orders today (my Curve was in stock, will be here Monday ... hopefully).
    06-20-08 02:46 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

First of all, how old is your daughter??

Do you think it is practical for her to have a BlackBerry?? If not, then consider other devices...

There are a lot of different options for cell phones these days; from the free flip-phones that get the basic calling done.... to, well, smart phones that do everything!!

You make the choice. $$ will make the difference
    In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get a BB for a kids 8th Birthday

As for buying a smart phone, hear on crackberry, most people are die hard fans, so hearing a fair comparison can be difficult.

I would say the major different is going to be the touch screen on the instinct, versus the trackball on the blackberry.

The main thing about smartphones is the extra costs associated with data packages, so consider that when gifting one for someone. I pay an extra $30/month for data on At&t.

If still serious about getting your daughter a smartphone, I would consider taking her out to lunch, and stopping by the store afterwards, and saying lets get you a phone for your Birthday!

It is hard to pick a cell phone for someone, just because there are so many things that go into what one uses it for. If she is going to use it to keep track of appointments, check email, text message, online chat, then the blackberry is more likely the better choice, but if she is going to surf the web, watch mobile TV, listen to music, then the instinct might be better simple because of the larger screen. Without knowing what she needs a smartphone for, it is impossible to say one is better than another.
    06-20-08 03:19 PM
    I'm still really unimpressed with the Instinct, I'd go with a curve

also, why is this in the touchscreen blackberry forum?
    06-20-08 03:58 PM
    these are two different types of phones, and your gonna get very biased answers here, your best bet is to go to the sprint store and toy with both, then u and ur sis can make an informed decision from that.
    06-20-08 04:01 PM
    I actually like the Instinct. But I don't like it enough to switch from AT&T to Sprint. I had a friend looking to get it. I helped him find reviews about it, and he like what he heard. So he is getting it.

So I say go for it and get it for your Daughter

The instinct reminds me of the LG Vu from AT&T, I would of gotten it but it was way to expensive with a 2yr contract. It was either that, the curve, or the blackjack 2. and after lots of research, I chose the curve
    06-20-08 04:12 PM
    Yea, the best thing to do is go to the store and check it out firsthand. From the videos I've seen, it looks like one of the more competent iPhone clones but still, Idk. I mean, Sprint has been advertising the **** out of this thing so it might be worth it. It has "full" html browsing, so that's a plus, but I doubt it is anywhere as good as the iPhones Safari. Basically, bring her to look at the phone and let her choose. However I do suggest reading some reviews of the Instinct because you never know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-08 10:29 AM
    The one thing to also look at with the Instinct is the ongoing cost. It can only be put on the $99.99 Simply Everything Plan, whereas a blackberry can be put on the lesser SEP plans. So if your daughter doesn't use the phone as a phone enough to warrant the $99.99 plan, I would very much take that into consideration as well.
    06-21-08 12:39 PM
    The instinct is actually a good phone and the touchscreen works very well, and the phone is loaded with features. The differences are: The blackberry has a better email system, better speakerphone, better internet browser, copy n paste function, and soon to be documents to go functionality. If these things aren't important to her, I'd go with the Instinct.
    06-21-08 05:27 PM
    Instinct = feature phone with a mobile OS that offers no upgradability.

Curve = smartphone with a smartphone OS that acts as a platform for upgradability. It may not be the most advanced platform in the mobile world, but it is infinitely better than the Instinct.

What it really boils down to is that the Instinct is a typical carrier feature phone that totes a long list of features. It will be done and forgotten about in roughly a year, if not 6 months. The features can only carry the poor hardware and operating system so far.

Phones that compare to the Instinct are the LG Vue, the LG Voyager, the Samsung Glyde, etc. All of them typical feature phones.

If your daughter has no need for something beyond a "normal" phone, then get her the Instinct. If she has any need of more advanced features and more staying power, get her the Curve.

Oh, by the way. Anyone that refers to the Instinct as a smartphone has no idea what a smartphone really is.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-21-08 at 11:09 PM.
    06-21-08 10:32 PM
    Get her a curve, you'll learn together and bond.
    06-21-08 11:04 PM
    The one thing to also look at with the Instinct is the ongoing cost. It can only be put on the $99.99 Simply Everything Plan, whereas a blackberry can be put on the lesser SEP plans. So if your daughter doesn't use the phone as a phone enough to warrant the $99.99 plan, I would very much take that into consideration as well.
    The Instinct can be used on any of the 3 SEPs 450, 900 or unlm. minutes. It can also be used on a shared talk/message/data 1500 or 3000. I set a couple of em up today And it is definitely not a smartphone...a cool PHONE with lots of features. I have both a Curve and an Instinct and would give up the Instinct without a second thought.
    06-22-08 12:25 AM
    BDW, How can I install mobi-tv on my 8830??

06-22-08 12:33 AM
    BDW, How can I install mobi-tv on my 8830??

Don't hijack a thread. If you have a question, start your own thread.
    06-22-08 01:51 AM
    GO BLACKBERRY all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-22-08 08:44 PM
    I received my Curve from my hubby for Christmas. He calls it the best gift he ever gave me, but I did ask for it. Now hubby owns one and I teach him. Just as a note he is the most tech advanced of the two of us.

So how is your daughter technology wise? Would she have a preference? I have taught a number of my coworkers many of the curve tricks that were using it as a basic phone, but baught it because of the looks.
    06-22-08 08:51 PM
    I would agree with most of the memebers in this forum that BB curve would be the way to go, but then again she would need to go into a sprintstore and compare the phones side-by-side.... FYI if your looking to get her the curve with sprint none of the Sprint stores have them instock( there on back order). A BB rep that came into our store today says your best bet , should you choose the curve is to call telesales(1800-SPRINT-1) AS FOR THE Instinct stores will have them probably through wedsday. Judging the progess of sales since launch date you wont have much luck if you wait..
    06-23-08 03:50 PM
    Definitely would not get an Instinct. My whole famliy has had it almost a year and besides my older sister who never uses it, EVERYONE HATES IT!

It is very hard to scroll through the contact list.

Also after a while if you are a heavy texter like i am, you'll notice a lag time from the time you touch the screen and from when it actually appears.

If you leave the phone on too long, letters in a text will not show up and it gets very infuriating.

Also the upright keyboard is hard to use. It is not a traditional number pad you usually get when you get a touch screen, its all the letters in a line. The buttons there are very small and hard to press teh right one.

The spell checker works great for the qwerty keyboard but not at all for the upright letter board.

The web browser is not very user friendly. Most pages show up in a mobile mode and the links are very close together and unless you blow up the web page, it is very hard to press the link.

My last complaint would be that the emergency call button is on the outside as a slider. if for some reason in your pocket you hit the lock key, and then move the right way (which is not hard to do) your calling the police.

Got a tour about a month ago and i am so far in love(=
    11-25-09 10:48 PM
    Definitely would not get an Instinct. My whole famliy has had it almost a year and besides my older sister who never uses it, EVERYONE HATES IT!

It is very hard to scroll through the contact list.

Also after a while if you are a heavy texter like i am, you'll notice a lag time from the time you touch the screen and from when it actually appears.

If you leave the phone on too long, letters in a text will not show up and it gets very infuriating.

Also the upright keyboard is hard to use. It is not a traditional number pad you usually get when you get a touch screen, its all the letters in a line. The buttons there are very small and hard to press teh right one.

The spell checker works great for the qwerty keyboard but not at all for the upright letter board.

The web browser is not very user friendly. Most pages show up in a mobile mode and the links are very close together and unless you blow up the web page, it is very hard to press the link.

My last complaint would be that the emergency call button is on the outside as a slider. if for some reason in your pocket you hit the lock key, and then move the right way (which is not hard to do) your calling the police.

Got a tour about a month ago and i am so far in love(=
    Why did you have to revive this thread

11-26-09 03:21 PM
    Why did you have to revive this thread

Guys, I was thinking about getting a Motorola star tac. Would anyone tell me if I should get that or stick with my car phone?

11-27-09 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD