09-16-08 08:26 AM
- Crucial_XtremeRetired ModeratorAlright, I'm fed the hel l up. Some may say this is none of my business, it's their opinion, etc. But can anyone REASONABLY explain to me why after this video you will not be purchasing this device. Hel l, why are you worried? Seriously? Honestly?
First off, you get to see a video from a *****(and I'm being very nice) who upon further investigation has just a little bit of bias towards RIM devices. The video was somewhere around two minutes long, and could not be considered a review in any sense of the word. I will move on because I believe I've said enough regarding Mr. Brewninja.
Now, I understand everyone has their opinion and all. But everyones opinion, granted a little more informed than yesterday, is uninformed. If all you need to decide wether or not you will or won't buy a device is that, well wow, more power to you. For us other mortals out there, I believe I'd need quite a bit more. About the 95xx, how can honest potential consumers claim that will no longer purchase this device?
About the keyboard. If you believe you have seen all there is to be seen, then go ahead. But what if it was? To my knowledge, there is no other touch device out in the market like what was shown in that video. I'm not big on touch, but it seems to me, honestly, that the function is GENIUS. Theres no the device in your pocket and it doing something you don't want. Or doing something that wasn't intended regardless of the situation. As previously reported, it's more like an actual keyboard, you have to actually "push" it. Is this so bad? Most of you have known about this for a while. Did you not actually contemplate this? Did you actually think about "how" it would work? Doesn't sound like it to me. It's not meant to be like other devices. It's different. It's RIM. It's taking a new product and incorporating a new technology but trying to balance that with what previous blackberry users know. Is this enough for you to say you won't buy the device? Maybe. But without actually trying it, how will you ever really know? "Oh you might break it because it has to be pushed SO HARD." Seriously? If so, I'm done here.
The accelerometer is a nice idea huh? Maybe not the greatest invention in the world or anything, but a nice feature to have. It's slow? The transition is faster from up-right to side than from upside down to right side up. Is the fact that you have absolutely zero clue if this is the final product, but the accelerometer is a tad slow in some from going to make you not buy this device? If so, more power to you.
The OS sucks? Is this the final build? Once again zero clue if this is the final build or not, but is that enough? I know it's not as flashy as Apple's and all, but this isn't a Apple device, it's a RIM device. Name one previous "flashy" OS? RIM isn't about flashy, it's about simplicity. Not to mention how little of the UI did one get to actually see.
I've read 80 something comments just here on CB's front page, and they make me laugh, but **** me off at the same time. When did everyone become an expert? Ok, it's your opinion, when did you become so damn judgmental?How can you say this is a step backwards, or it's a POS when you haven't even taken a full tour of the device, much less used it yourself? Couple that with the fact you have no clue how close this particular device is to final.
It seems to me like a lot of people are comparing this to the Iphone(understandable) and want this to be better than the Iphone. But when it doesn't look like it functions the same way, people start getting "worried" or it's a step backwards or a POS. NO this isn't an Iphone, and it's going to be way different. Question is, is that a bad thing? Yes this is a multimedia device, but if it's going to be stamped with RIM there is a little bit more criteria that has to be addressed. Push email for one. This in no way can be abandoned. Hence that kick a$ $ keyboard. As I've said before, the key is balance. I believe this has been achieved.
To those idiots who say this device is crap, a POS, etc. go fly a kite. To those who are "worried", oh ye of little faith, shame on you. Is everyone going to like the 95xx? No, don't expect people to. But the assumptions and uninformed opinions, are just that...assumptions and uninformed opinions. Grow the hel l up and atleast try an act like an adult, regardless of how hard that might be to accomplish.09-10-08 06:17 PM
- I agree CX. That video like I commented in another thread "wasn't a debbie downer for me" I'm still very excited about the phone and I think i will wait to see when its going to be released before I renew my verizon contract. That guy wasn't excited about anything and he had a horrible ninja face mask on, looks to me he takes nothing serious. =)09-10-08 06:30 PM
- Actually that video made it clear to me that I want the phone. What I like from seing the video is that it actually requires a touch on the keys to make them work unlike the iphone where a gentle touch of the key makes it function.
I think this is going to be a really great phone for those of us that are not enamored with the i-phone.
I really hope to hear more about this phone tomorrow.09-10-08 06:42 PM
- not only do i plan on getting the 95xx , but will be switching to what ever carrier i have to to get it. i hope it could be my current carrier, but if it turns out to be verizon so be it. i have been reading posts for some time now and cx has been very informative and i understand why he feels that way. i was in no way turned off by the video and cannot make any informed decision untill it is released.09-10-08 06:45 PM
- I TOTALLY agree with you C X!! I am sick and tired of people making their opinion from an ***** with a video camera who's first words are that he doesn't like the device? You havent even seen the latest device with the latest OS build! RIM is achieving something here with this device that they have with all of their other past devices and what they will achieve with all of their future devices, and that is greatness and perfection!! This device is Innovative here people with a completely different style of touchscreen that has never before been attempted or thought of. Think about it for a second! If you touch the screen and highlite the key you want pressed and then press the screen, have you made a mistake? NO, you just pressed the exact key you wanted!With all other touchscreen devices, when you touch the screen; thats the key you get, regardless if you wanted to press yhat key or not. With the Thunder, you will not have that problem. Has anyone here ever held this device in their hand and have used it or seen the OS in action, other than CX?? Then I would think that you would think long and hard before making an assumption of a device that has only had 1 review by a self-proclaimed "Ninja" that needs something to do with his time other than sit around and think of ways to bash and bad-mouth RIM, while wearing a mask!!!!!!09-10-08 06:47 PM
The video hasn't changed my opinion about buying it one bit. I'll be getting it the day it comes out.
As I stated before it actually functions exactly how I anticipated.
The iPhone does some things very well, my hope is RIM adopts as much of those and improves upon and goes down their own path on others. My favorite part of an iPhone is the way it flicks, scrolls and zooms. I hope to see that on the Storm because it is the best execution of those motions. The clicking of the screen, that is genius.
What sucked about the video is that it was negative, he starts out saying he doesn't like it, then he exagerates about the issues. I feel anyone who can think for themselves can take it with a grain of salt, like his overemphasizing the motion of pressing down on the screen, but from some comments I've been reading maybe some people can't quite figure that out. He has opened up more questions, he has made some statements that without seeing for ourselves adds a new level of uncertainty.
The worst part is that even though he is stating his opinion it just works to reinforce the message BGR has been trying to push for some time now which hasn't been a good one. It was just negative, I honestly had to watch it several times to read through the BS.
I'm still excited for the device and can't wait till we see even more videos, pics, specs, whatever I can get.09-10-08 06:50 PM
- 09-10-08 07:02 PM
- People are freaking out about tapping then pressing. It is genious, how come people assume they cannot change the function so it's only a tapping function..... ?
I played with the I-Phone for an hour today and gotta say it sucks *** for emails and it is not easy to navigate for messaging. It has some good things and thats for sure but using the device is wierd and what sucks the most about it is that you cannot rotate the screen unless it's for web browsing or viewing a picture. Video email attachments can only be viewed upright, the Storm can be viewed any freaking way you have it which is also genious. Can't wait for a side to side full real review, the Storm will be hands down better then the apple or any other touchscreen in it's class.
By the way, the physical shell does look HOT! Cannot wait for new themes as well!!!!!09-10-08 07:06 PM
- Totally agree with you C_X. These are my exact words from that thread about the video
"The only thing disappointing about this video is not the phone...its the ***** that is in the video. How can anyone take this guy seriously? Does he think that ninja mask makes him look cool? Plus the intro for his video was laughable, I think he made it in Powerpoint.
The only redeeming quality of the video is that he actually has the device and shows it to us, even if he doesn't actually know what the **** he has in his hand.
I can only imagine this guy trying to send someone a message on his "Thunder" and pushing his finger right through the screen.
How can anyone be put off by this video?"
Plus I was happy I just got to see the phone and I think it looks very nice. And I thought the UI looked good as well, regardless if it isn't the final version.
And Crucial, I bet you were dying to give us some new information in your first post to prove everyone wrong...09-10-08 07:07 PM
- And the church says "Amen Brotha"
I could not agree with this rant any more... and, yes, I said "rant" in a positive way! The close-mindedness and fear of change is totally shocking
I have always exercised the idea of open-mindedness and new ideas... because that is what makes technology evolve, that is what creates competition and that is what defines a company.
Honestly, RIM has big balls stepping into the touch screen device "arena"... because they will have to deal with constant comparisons to the iPhone. Fair... NO. Life... YES!!
People want the best that there is to offer... and with RIM adding unique features will seperate the device from the iPhone... at least a little. Some people may hate it... some may like it...
Personally, I cannot stand typing on an iPhone! Do I hate the iPhone as a device overall?? No. Would I use it as my primary device? No
People will feel the same about the Thunder/Storm... it will be an "acquired taste" if you will. And I have a hunch that more people will like it than they think!09-10-08 07:12 PM
On the other hand, I'm really glad that CX made this statement because he's completely right. Why would anyone judge a phone until they, themselves, have tested the phone. I think the click/push feature is amazing.. that is taking touch screens to a whole new level. A level that Apple never thought of...
Like I stated somewhere else.. if this phone had an Apple brand on it then everybody would be craving over it and saying that its so intuitive.. IMO, I think that the UI (from the little bit that was shown) was really sleek along with the style of the phone. I've never owned a Blackberry and never had an interest in one until I heard about this phone. Just goes to show you that I believe its going to attract a whole new crowd. I already have 5 of my friends who are saying that they are going to buy it if my opinion/review of it is positive. I have high hopes that this will turn out to be amazing.. at least better than the LG Dare I have09-10-08 07:13 PM
- I think the storm really is going to suck after seeing that video- NOT! I agree with Crucial and appreciate his input. I plan on getting rid of my iphone as soon as i can. I only hope the Browser is half as good as the iphone and i hope you can send pics - which you can't with the damn iphone. Look forward to some more solid reviews and not one bit worried. I do not and will not base anything off that video since it was obvious he had bias against the blackberry 95XX and did not really review anything simply because i don't think he could with the phone he had.09-10-08 07:16 PM
- I think that it's being digested in this way because up to this point, no one has come forward showing any kind of concrete knowledge or facts. Beyond speculations and "you'll see"s there has been nothing else. Thus people jump on this. The guy is really annoying though. That voice...09-10-08 07:16 PM
- honestly, this is not at all disappointing... It seems to me that it is like a physical touch screen which has its ups and downs but as soon as this device comes out im getting it because it is RIM that makes it and they have really reliable products and this phone will be no exception... hopefully09-10-08 07:43 PM
- honestly, this is not at all disappointing... It seems to me that it is like a physical touch screen which has its ups and downs but as soon as this device comes out im getting it because it is RIM that makes it and they have really reliable products and this phone will be no exception... hopefully09-10-08 07:51 PM
- 09-10-08 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD