That is true, but some of verizon's PDAs do indeed have wifi. The reason I doubt it'll have wifi is because unless it can have wifi *and* gps, verizon will go with gps always bc of vz nav. If the device can have both we just might see both, but I wouldn't count on that til next year when verizon see's the bold

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-08 08:24 AM
    well, i hope it does have wifi. because that's going to be a deciding factor between loading my account up with credit to get a thunder, or etf'ing and getting the evil fruit phone
    08-10-08 10:44 AM
    well, i hope it does have wifi. because that's going to be a deciding factor between loading my account up with credit to get a thunder, or etf'ing and getting the evil fruit phone
    you dont have evdo coverage where you are? or is it not fast enough for you?

i hope it has wifi for convenience of quicker browsing, but is not a deciding factor for me at all due to evdo.
    08-10-08 12:55 PM
    All I can say is... false unless proven otherwise : Please cite a source!!

I highly doubt things I 'just hear'...

I am not saying this is not true... it seems like a good guess, but I want something in writing or some more assurance. (especially when it is your first post)

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    First and only post at that. Indeed. However, welcome to CB and stay away from making frivolous threads like this.
    08-10-08 01:04 PM
    Actually, no. Today is not 9/10. Thats September, remember?
    haha, thanks for pointing that out. Well I guess i'm seeing the toll of being on summer vacation.
    08-10-08 02:07 PM
    you dont have evdo coverage where you are? or is it not fast enough for you?

i hope it has wifi for convenience of quicker browsing, but is not a deciding factor for me at all due to evdo.
    evdo coverage isn't a problem for me. i tether my laptop to the phone a lot, but i've never liked having to pay extra for the ability to do that, especially when i already have unlimited data for the phone. you can set the evil fruit phone up as a wifi hotspot and forward all internet traffic through it. that's why i'm hoping for unlocked wifi on the thunder.
    08-10-08 02:12 PM
    Who does Crucial work for? Anyway all sounds like good information, but at least we know the device according to Kevin will be rev a. However I think a deciding factor will be the wifi, because why would I want to use up my 5GB cap a month when I have wifi.
    08-11-08 11:02 AM
    As of right now wifi hasn't been on the spec list. How do you get even close to 5gb without tethering?
    08-11-08 12:53 PM
    Who does Crucial work for? Anyway all sounds like good information, but at least we know the device according to Kevin will be rev a. However I think a deciding factor will be the wifi, because why would I want to use up my 5GB cap a month when I have wifi.
    Yes, indeed, WiFi is also a big factor for me as well. If this doesn't have WiFi enabled, this will be a deal breaker for me.

[Edit] I take this back... WiFi isn't a big deal for me... As can be seen, I don't know that much about the BB data packages and with unlimited Data access, this makes WiFi moot in my case.
    Dennis
    Last edited by dlt123; 08-13-08 at 08:21 PM.
    08-12-08 11:11 PM
    I don't care till this is out I will be dreaming
    08-14-08 12:54 PM
    I don't care till this is out I will be dreaming
    I agree. Is it even being called Thunder at this point?
    08-14-08 10:24 PM
    I agree. Is it even being called Thunder at this point?
    Theres a lot of speculation about that. In the mean time if you want to be completely correct when referring to the device, just say 9500 or 9530.
    08-15-08 10:30 AM
    wifi is useless, if ur already on the network, u have the internet...no need for wifi...tentative release date is oct 13th.
    08-15-08 02:26 PM
    wifi is useless, if ur already on the network, u have the internet...no need for wifi...tentative release date is oct 13th.
    unless you want to send stuff to the unit over wifi, or pull up media from somewhere else with wifi, or share out the phones connection over wifi... then it becomes somewhat needed
    08-15-08 03:28 PM
    Or have a faster connection. There are a lot of uses for Wifi. It would not make or break the deal from me, but iut would be nice to have.
    08-15-08 03:31 PM
    I really want this phone. I'm a former iphone owner and I hated it. I ended up going back to my old MDA. I was about to purchase a curve until I discovered this site and saw all of the upcoming phones. I definitely want the thunder and with all of the posts from Crucial_Xtreme and J_MC, it seems as if T-mobile will be an option.

08-18-08 07:03 PM
    I doubt t-mobile will be getting a thunder..
    08-18-08 07:46 PM
    I doubt t-mobile will be getting a thunder..
    Me too, but I've been reading and researching and It just might be able to be unlocked and work on GSM in North America. Once i'm able to post links, I'll be able to back this up. LOL

edit: Totally slipped my mind to simply copy and paste the article. LOL I;m still suffering from Insufficient Iphoneitis.

8 reasons BlackBerry Thunder beats iPhone 3G
    August 4, 2008, 11:00 am by Jim Hill 5 comments
    Filed under Mobile phones Tags: Blackberry, Mobile, thunder
    Apple had better be enjoying iPhone 3G�s current reign as king of phones, because its crown is about to be stolen by the mighty BlackBerry Thunder. iPhone 3G was good, but Thunder is better for these eight reasons�

Better for typists
    Apple made every smart phone on the planet look like a wonky old typewriter when the iPhone transcended buttons and introduced its swanky multi-touch screen, but Blackberry is making the same leap and using an even more advanced interface. It�ll use both an on-screen QWERTY in landscape mode, as well as BlackBerry�s own SureType keyboard for text entry when held vertically, and that�s on top of its next-generation hepatic feedback, which will make each virtual key vibrate individually. It�s set to seriously improve text entry.
    Better contract
    You can�t buy an iPhone 3G in the UK without being frog marched to the O2 desk and forced to sign an 18 month contract in blood. There will be no such control over the BlackBerry Thunder, so you can make up your own mind who to sign with. What�s that RIM? Free choice? Sounds like a nice idea to us!
    Better for business
    We�ve all seen men in suits frantically pounding on a �CrackBerry� like it�s a Gameboy. That�s because it�s the perfect business tool, and Apple�s hasty addition of Powerpoint compatibility and Exchange support to iPhone 3G doesn�t put it in the same league as the BlackBerry Thunder and its default work tools.
    After all, if a company�s already invested thousands in a BlackBerry-friendly infrastructure, and the Thunder offers all that and more, where�s the incentive to change?
    Better memory
    iPhone 3G comes in 8GB and 16GB versions. That�s fine if you�ve got a medium-sized music library, and don�t fancy lugging round too many films. However, despite keeping quiet over the Thunder�s internal flash capacity, RIM has let slip that the Thunder will pack a MicroSD slot. That�ll make it conveniently expandable, and it dead easy to swap memory and share data. Yeah, that�s something else the iPhone can�t do, thanks to its crippled headset-only Bluetooth.
    Better screen
    Yeah, we�ve harped on about this before, but the fact is the BlackBerry Thunder will arrive with a screen far superior to the iPhone 3G. It�ll be higher resolution than any �Berry before it too, at 360�480 pixels.
    Better compatibility
    Apple fanboys will tell you how smoothly an iPhone syncs with a Mac. Obviously, it�s compatible with Windows as well, but it�s not the same experience. Thankfully, the BlackBerry Thunder is designed from the ground up to communicate with a Windows PC and that�s what the majority of the world still uses.
    Even better, it�ll follow other �Berries in packing proper Bluetooth and USB compatibility. That means wireless printing, file sharing and charging from any number of 3rd party accessories (not just manufacturer-approved ones).
    It�ll works with iTunes (and Windows Media Player)
    Unlike the iPhone, the BlackBerry Thunder won�t be limited to working with iTunes (which it�ll manage just fine, thanks to its BlackBerry Media Sync software). It�ll also play nice with Windows Media Player, or just chew up files you load onto its memory. It�s not fussy, it�s just very clever!
    It has Visual Voicemail (on any network)
    The Thunder�s got an ace up its sleeve in the shape of Visual Voicemail. It�ll be one of the first non-Apple handsets to feature visual voicemail, letting you tap into messages directly, rather than listening through them all. Apple�s lost the rights to use it exclusively, and that means it�s fair game for the Thunder. What�s more, you won�t have to join O2�s network to use it.

Last edited by dayday5243; 08-18-08 at 08:46 PM.
    08-18-08 08:35 PM
    Good post, dayday.
    Could you post the link please?
    09-01-08 04:32 PM
    Good post, dayday.
    Could you post the link please?
    Here it is

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/08/04/8-reasons-blackberry-thunder-beats-iphone-3g/

09-01-08 05:09 PM
    is it a coincidence that the rumored release date (10/1) for the Thunder/Storm is the same date that T-Mobile is coming out with their 3G network?

09-03-08 07:29 AM
    is it a coincidence that the rumored release date (10/1) for the Thunder/Storm is the same date that T-Mobile is coming out with their 3G network?

Indeed....
    09-03-08 09:19 AM

The rumored release date is Oct 13th not the first.
    09-03-08 11:08 AM
    I'm wondering if the 9500 is going to have as many "issues" as the Bold Or are the Bold issues more because of the carriers
    09-03-08 11:42 AM
    The rumored release date is Oct 13th not the first.
    Thanks Crucial! Well regardless, I hope it does come to T-Mobile. I would rather not have to be forced to switch carriers, especially Verizon. I was with them, and definitely wasn't too impressed with their customer service.
    09-03-08 12:20 PM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD