Upgraded from a BB Pearl to the BB Storm yesterday and discovered that all my contacts who have custom ringtones set do not follow the active profile even though in their contact alert profile all the settings say to use the active profile.

This only seems to be an issue with the vibrate profile. When the silent profile or all alerts off profile is selected, the contact alert follows the active profile.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or figure out a way around it? I am planning to try creating a custom vibrate profile and see if this fixes the problem.

Thanks.
    11-23-08 10:18 AM
    Isn't the vibrate profile a vibrate only profile? Mine works just fine in loud, etc...
    11-23-08 10:23 AM
    Right, it says "Vibrate Only" and I would interpret that to mean that no sounds will occur, only vibration. Contacts who have custom ring tones set still ring with the custom ring tone when phone is set to "Vibrate Only".

As a followup, I created a new custom profile and set all the rings & alerts to silent, and turned the vibration on. Now, when contacts call who have custom ring tones the phone vibrates and does not ring - as expected.

I am guessing there is a missing setting in the preloaded "Vibrate Only" profile to disable custom rings. Anyway, if you are having this issue it seems the way around it is to create your own vibrate profile.
    11-23-08 12:22 PM
    Hi JB

I'm having the same problem with custom ringtones and the Vibrate setting. Because I am new to this, I am having trouble understanding what you did. Can you give me a bit more detail as to the steps to follow in creating this new custom profile? I would greatly appreciate your help!

Rich
    11-23-08 01:21 PM
    Sure...

From the home screen, select and click the speaker icon below the battery status indicator.

Scroll to the bottom of the menu, and select and click "custom profiles".

Select and click "Add Custom Profile".

Input a name for the profile (I called mine "True Vibrate"). And then set all the alert categories to the following:

Volume: Silent
    LED: Normal Setting (does not affect sound)
    Vibration: Custom
    Length: (Your preference)
    Count: (Your preference)
    In/Out of Holster: In and Out

I set mine to length of long and count of 5 for calls and a length of short count of 2 for everything else. This seems to have done the trick. Although, my low battery indicator just kicked on as I was typing this and it did beep. Not sure if you can turn that off - it was a quick single chirp, so not bad.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

-JB
    11-23-08 01:49 PM
    Thank you, JB.
    Worked like a charm!

Rich
    11-23-08 02:04 PM
    Unfortunately, it appears that the phone will still default to the orginal Vibrate under certain circumstances. It goes to the original Vibrate when setting it to vibrate while in locked mode (by pressing and holding the mute button on the top right of the phone).

It's rare that I would do that, but I thought I would mention it so you know.
    11-23-08 02:09 PM
    Thank you JBMERR for your custom setting advise. It worked well for my phone and solved the annoying problem with "vibrate only". However; there was still a problem with my girlfriends phone which is identical to mine and was purchased at the same time. (Same software, same apps, I checked everything!) Still it would ring when I called her phone even with a custom vibrate setting set up. Now for the fun part! It appears that the folks who wrote the software for the storm are from a different planet or read right to left.

There is a setting in the ring tones that overrides all setting with the ring tones themselves, custom ringtones for individual contacts, and anything you may try in the meantime including modifying the contact ringtones. For some reason this shows up different in this setting than it does in the "contacts" ringtones settings and this one is the one that counts.

Here's where it is and here's how we finally found a workaround for the problem. (quite simple actually in addition to JBMERR's previous post) Try His first! If that doesn't work for you proceed with this.

Click the speaker icon under the battery bar.
    Scroll down to where it says "Set Contact Alerts" (SECOND from the bottom)
    This will list all of the custom alerts you have set up.
    Click on each one and make sure they are set for "ACTIVE PROFILE" in the volume.
    Make sure Vibration is set to "ON".
    Do this for all of the contacts you have set up custom alerts for and shazam! It works finally!

NOTE: You have to do this in the ringer setting! If you try it from your contacts and you'll be running around in circles which was the case with my girlfriends phone.

What a pain and what a disappointment this is to have a phone like this and experience this kind of problem with such a basic function that has been standard and always worked on cheap *** phones for years.

I hope this helps anyone else experiencing this annoying issue.
    03-15-09 11:06 PM
    Thank you. that was a big help!
    Dan G
    03-30-09 11:06 AM
    The issue with contact alerts sounding even under the "vibrate" and "silent" options is a known bug in the .75 OS, and the only work-around is to create your own custom sound profile... and as Roy S said, you have to make sure that your contacts with their own ringtones are set to "Active Profile" in their volume option.

It is my understanding that this bug will be fixed with future OS updates.
    03-30-09 11:14 AM
    I continue to have a problem with custom profiles. I have set mine to vibrate only when in the holster, but the phone rings. I have the OEM holster and the phone recognizes the magnate and sleeps. Anyone else having this problem?
    03-30-09 11:46 AM
    I am running 114 v.3 hybrid and tested it with my gf yesterday... Seemed to work correctly finally...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD