G'day, Yesterday my wife's BB Storm 9500 began bringing up a white screen of death with the text 'error detected on modem proc. entering error handling' appearing at the top of the screen with further symbols and text along the left hand side (the screen disappears too quickly to read the whole thing). It then promptly switches itself off, re-starting back to the normal view after checking security settings. Does anyone have a clue what this could be????
    I backed the phone up and reloaded the latest BB operating system and it still does it. Tested with the sim card removed........... same thing. Tried having it plugged into charger too to eliminate battery problems......... no change. If anyone has encountered this problem before or knows how to fix it, I would appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

Cheers
    07-28-11 05:59 AM
    Is there no-body out there that has seen the same error on their BB??? Surely there must be someone!!!
    07-29-11 07:45 PM
    Which OS are you running? I'm running 5.0.0.973 with no problems. I suggest trying to reinstall again one of the newer OSes like 5.0.0.1041 or 5.0.0.973 and see if that fixes it if you haven't got one of those leaked ones. I've seen a good number of white screens of death on my Storm.p but they go away waaaay to quickly to read them. I've been fine with my OS now though. If that doesn't solve it, I really don't know what to say other than it might be hardware related. Other things to check are the removing the SD card just in case. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 09:40 PM
    Which OS are you running? I'm running 5.0.0.973 with no problems. I suggest trying to reinstall again one of the newer OSes like 5.0.0.1041 or 5.0.0.973 and see if that fixes it if you haven't got one of those leaked ones. I've seen a good number of white screens of death on my Storm.p but they go away waaaay to quickly to read them. I've been fine with my OS now though. If that doesn't solve it, I really don't know what to say other than it might be hardware related. Other things to check are the removing the SD card just in case. Hope that helps.

The OP has a 9500 not a 9530 so the OS's you referenced would not be appropriate, but the idea is a good one.

It appears that this error may be related to using the phone as a modem or tethering. I would suggest wiping the phone, installing a new OS, not installing any tethering software and upgrading the Desktop software that is being used.
    07-29-11 10:41 PM
    The OP has a 9500 not a 9530 so the OS's you referenced would not be appropriate, but the idea is a good one.

It appears that this error may be related to using the phone as a modem or tethering. I would suggest wiping the phone, installing a new OS, not installing any tethering software and upgrading the Desktop software that is being used.
    Yeah, whoops forgot about that. Thanks for the correction.

07-30-11 12:20 AM
    I have a 9500 through Vodafone Australia with the latest OS. I have exactly the same problem and it also started occurring on the 28th.

I have tried a security erase - which was unsuccessful. I then tried a complete erase through BBSAK and reloaded the OS (twice) and was still unsuccessful.

Vodafone TechSupport have no idea what the problem is and recommend I send the phone in for repair - I might as well buy a new phone.

The upside is that if you turn Connections off then the device stops resetting - it's just a little difficult to make a phone call .
    07-30-11 08:47 AM

I have the latest AUS version (5.0.0.451) that I have re-loaded, but has made no difference. Phone hasn't been used for tethering for 12 months or more, which is whey the error message referring to modem proc. is perplexing. Thanks for the consideration of the problem though, much appreciated!
    07-30-11 01:19 PM

I have a 9500 through Vodafone Australia with the latest OS. I have exactly the same problem and it also started occurring on the 28th.

I have tried a security erase - which was unsuccessful. I then tried a complete erase through BBSAK and reloaded the OS (twice) and was still unsuccessful.

Vodafone TechSupport have no idea what the problem is and recommend I send the phone in for repair - I might as well buy a new phone.

The upside is that if you turn Connections off then the device stops resetting - it's just a little difficult to make a phone call .
    I concur..................VF tech support had absolutely no idea when I spoke to them either! I was hoping to find someone with the same problem, and the fact that the problem stops when you turn off all connections is even more interesting (tried the same with my wife's - it stopped the error too). My wife and I both received a sms from VF on 15 Jul stating:

'Our network upgrade is coming to the ACT and parts of Southern NSW. It may affect your night service (11pm-6am) 18-29 July. Please call 1520 for more info.'

Long story, but my BB Torch is broken and whilst I wait for a new one I am using my old iPhone 3GS (curse, curse). For 2 days was getting a random message on screen regarding verification of a security setting/certificate, unrelated to what I was doing on the phone. This problem started the day before my wife's one, but resolved itself. Sounds to me like we may have a network generated problem..............

I will call 1520 to check and post back the results.
    07-30-11 01:42 PM
    Hey lukas - kudos to you for catching that error message! Was staring at my screen trying to read the bugga for 30 minutes

Exact same problem here: BB Storm 9500 with Vodafone, AUS OS version 5.0.0.451 installed and I'm located in ACT. Turning off the network stops the problem occurring. Started resetting on Thursday from memory. I barely use my phone except as a music player (certainly haven't set up anything like tethering).

Noticed a new software update became available last night... unfortunately didn't fix it

Looks like another /facepalm for the Vodafone network
    07-30-11 08:05 PM
    I'm also located in the ACT.

So we have three Blackberry 9500 users located in the ACT with exactly the same problem at the same time.

We know the Vodafone network was also upgraded at this time.

The problem is fixed by turning off Connections.

We'll probably have trouble getting Vodafone to admit to and fix the problem but this isn't synchronised hardware failures... Vodafone has done something... I'll be ringing them shortly.

To be fair Vodafone is probably sending a new command/signal across their network that the 9500 doesn't handle well... so it's probably the 9500 that needs a firmware update but the command needs to be stopped while the update is developed.

Please add any relevant details of conversations with Vodafone to this thread so we can all share our experiences. If necessary I'll start writing letters including the complied information in this thread.
    Last edited by zyxwvut; 07-31-11 at 03:50 AM.
    07-31-11 02:53 AM
    My wife went to a VF store today to show them what was happening............. they agreed that it seems too coincidental with the upgrades to the network to be a failed handset. The guy in the store also noticed some other details from the on-screen message, so I have taken a picture of it and found the detail is as follows:
    'ARM11: Error detected on Modem Proc. Entering error handler.
    Device Erro: 348
    Failed task: IST0
    File: demapps.c
    Line: 848
    SP=0x028cc1b8
    LR=0x0154b077
    PC=0x01850f38
    '

The VF store tried to get tech support to look at it but couldn't get through................ neither could my wife yesterday afternoon after trying three separate calls and over 45min holding in total (each call dropped-out). Now we have three examples of the same error all commencing on the same day in the same region we might stand a chance of getting someone to look at it. We will continue to try tech support tomorrow as well, and will let you know how we go via this forum.
    Cheers
    07-31-11 04:05 PM
    That should say 'Device Error'.................... I should have proof-read it!
    07-31-11 04:07 PM
    Thank you for doing that lukaswild, I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.

Four people in the ACT have now been identified as having this problem, the fourth person may be found on a Vodafone Community thread that Cammo started. The thread is located here: <CrackBerry won't allow me to post the link as I need to have 10 posts or more before I can post a link!!!! >

I tried last night to contact Vodaphone concerning this problem but they were having trouble with their systems and were not accepting calls.

I have also tried twice today but on both occasions the phone call hung up about 20 seconds after getting through to a support person.

I'll try again later today.
    07-31-11 08:31 PM
    I just logged the following on the Vodafone site:

I just spoke to Krish at Vodafone Tech Support and he has been liasing with this supervisor.

Vodafone have no reports of problems with the network so are currently refusing to recognise this as a Network issue. I explained that I'm logging this as a network issue, that something must have changed on the network to cause this problem but they are refusing to admit that anything is wrong.

According to Vodafone all our phones are having exactly the same hardware issue at the same time. I have been asked to take my phone into a Vodafone store for repair - which they'll charge me for as my phone is over 24 months old - and what's more they won't be able to fix anything as the problem's with the Network.

This is very frustrating - Vodafone, think about it, this is not an issue with the phones!!!

If anyone else is experiencing this issue then please add to this thread, otherwise Vodafone may not wake up and fix the problem.
    We need to continue to phone Vodafone concerning this.

I'll add further information about this error (from Lucaswild's email) to the Vodafone site as well.
    08-01-11 12:17 AM
    If anyone is travelling interstate soon (maybe even Queanbeyan) then if your phone stops resetting we have pretty good proof.

Or if anyone has another carrier's sim cards then you could unlock your phone and try the sim. Unlocking instructions are on the Vodafone site... I unlocked mine last night for no charge (but I don't have access to another sim at the moment).
    08-01-11 12:31 AM
    I just logged the following on the Vodafone site:

I have some good news. If you switch your phones to 2G in manage connections they are at least usable - no 3G functionality of course, but you can make a phone call!

If you try 3G then move quickly, because you only have a few seconds before your phone will reset. By the looks of the Network Maintenance Schedules Vodafone upgraded 3G functionality in many parts of Canberra last month.
    08-01-11 08:33 AM
    Ok, I have spent a good deal of time on the phone to VF tech support today, and they seemed to agree that the problem is clearly not with the handset. They asked me to take the phone to a VF store and get the staff to call tech support to confirm that the phone is not faulty. This will allow tech support to push the problem to the network guys to investigate further.
    Tonight I took ZYXWVUT's advice and unlocked my wife's ph following the VF website instructions (it cost nothing and actually worked!) before putting an Optus pre-paid sim into the handset. Amazingly the problem ceased totally. Network issue confirmed!!!

We will take my wife's ph and the pre-paid sim to VF tomorrow to help demonstrate the problem and get this ball rolling a bit quicker. The phone resets so often it is almost unusable, so it can't be fixed quick enough really.

Will post any more info as soon as I get it. Please encourage anyone else with the same issue to add to this post as for future reference - I am also about to print it out so far and show it to the VF store staff as evidence of this not being a handset issue or isolated case.

Cheers
    EShel likes this.
    08-01-11 09:07 AM
    Nice one Lucaswild. Please don't forget to look at the Vodafone site on Vodafone.com.au.

Vodafone Community : Devices (phones etc) : Other Mobiles : Blackberry Storm broken - due to ACT network?

One of the Vodafone manager's, Tim, will also be investigating this issue for us.

Regards,

Paul.
    08-01-11 06:25 PM
    I suggest trying to reinstall again one of the newer OSes like 5.0.0.1041 or 5.0.0.973
    good luck
    08-01-11 06:58 PM
    Thank you macluck, but those OSes are for the 9530, we're in Australia using the 9500. I believe we're all using the latest OS for our phones.
    Last edited by zyxwvut; 08-02-11 at 08:10 AM. Reason: I mixed up the model numbers.
    08-02-11 06:19 AM
    Lukaswild. Please ensure you go to the Vodafone Community. Vodafone are taking an active interest in this problem - in addition another two people have come forward as having this problem.
    08-02-11 06:21 AM
    My wife went to VF in civic today, armed with an optus sim card, a print out of the posts from this forum and her BB Storm. She found that they have had approx 40 people with the same problem present to the store in the last 4 days! Initially they still wanted to send her phone away, and told her she should re-load the OS (apparently this is what tech support has been telling them to advise customers coming in with the same problem). Eventually they escalated the problem with tech support based upon the number of walk-in complaints they have had. Apparently some people don't even get the resetting cycle on the handset - it just shuts down completely.

This afternoon I lodged a complaint with the Telecomunications Industry Ombudsman, who have forwarded it on to VF for resolution. Let's hope we get somewhere quickly.
    08-02-11 07:20 AM
    Hi Lukaswild, you'll probably get slightly different behaviours from the handset depending upon what version of the OS your running. When we were discovering this we were all running the same version which made the diagnosis much easier.
    08-02-11 09:12 AM
    The exact same thing is happening to me!
    I don't live in the ACT though I live in Sydney, however I did go there a few weekends ago and that was when I started having the problem.
    It is so annoying I just want it to be fixed.
    11-09-11 02:10 AM
    i have tried all of the above suggestions and nothing has worked
    06-17-13 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD