There seem to be a ton of threads out there mixed in amongst different BB forums about the horrid battery life on the Storm. Compared to a standard "dumb phone" yes, it's going to have a shorter battery life than most. So for those of us (myself included) who are new to the BB/smartphone bandwagon will have to learn to adapt to this.

With that out of the way.... Last night, I was certain I was going to have to return my shiny new Storm and pick up a different smartphone. I picked it up with a full battery signal, took it home and let it charge for 4 hours more, and came into work. 6 hours into my shift (with very moderate usage) I was down to 1 bar! This was after turning down the screen brightness and the few other tricks out there to extend battery life.

I immediately plugged it in, and let it charge from 0100 this morning to 1600 this afternoon. Now with MUCH heavier usage including heavy texting, moderate browsing and email usage, and just under an hour of phone calls, I just dropped down to 4 1/2 bars!

So in summary. Let your phone sit and charge for at least 12 hours to fully charge the new battery! It did wonders for my battery life!

And now a question about battery life and GPS usage....

Does leaving the GPS services feature set at "911 only" versus "On" do anything in terms of extending battery life? Granted using VZW navigator or BB maps with the GPS on will drain the battery fairly quickly, but will just leaving the GPS on effect the battery?
    11-23-08 01:46 AM
    ya on my first day i was shocked at how quickly it drained...and today voila! I went about 6-7 hours of moderate to heavy data/texting/browsing use...so just like the overall experience of the storm, the battery gets better with time hehe
    11-23-08 01:49 AM
    And now a question about battery life and GPS usage....

Does leaving the GPS services feature set at "911 only" versus "On" do anything in terms of extending battery life? Granted using VZW navigator or BB maps with the GPS on will drain the battery fairly quickly, but will just leaving the GPS on effect the battery?

I asked the same question in another thread but havent received a response yet. If anyone else knows please answer.

Thanks
    11-23-08 01:52 AM
    yes.. if it is on it will suck battery life
    11-23-08 01:54 AM
    My battery seems to be doing pretty well. I had half a battery at the begining of my shift today, and with constant internet use it lasted me about seven hours before I had to put it away for the night.
    11-23-08 01:55 AM
    My battery life is awesome compared to my old Motorola Q, remember this is a smart phone and the battery can only last so long. When your home charge it, and when your in the car charge it. It seems ok to me..
    11-23-08 02:03 AM
    Make sure you close apps.

Now I could be wrong, but I think when I have my bbmap gps turn on... it will continue to run in the background tracking everywhere I go.
    11-23-08 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD