no email, contacts, settings, apps, etc. lost everything

the only thing still on the phone is OS .99 and a handful of pics

anyone know if this is something i'm going to have to deal with regularly as a blackberry owner?

looks like i'll be doing weekly backups with the OS on this thing being so undependable
    02-15-09 11:44 AM
    First time I've ever heard of a battery pull wiping the device.
    02-15-09 11:45 AM
    i wouldn't say this is regular. But i'd def backup regularly cuz u never know what can happen.

I've done countless of battery pulls on all my blackberries and Ive never had such an issue.
    02-15-09 11:46 AM
    this really sux, just the fact that i lost everything from the past 2 weeks that was on here. my last backup was the day .99 came out

oh well... time for .103 i guess
    Last edited by SoK; 02-15-09 at 12:02 PM.
    02-15-09 11:55 AM
    I lost a whole month the last time I upgraded my OS...I am thinking more along the lines of daily backups haha
    02-15-09 11:57 AM
    I've been upgrading with every leaked OS. The last 2: .99 and .103 haven't necessitated too many battery pulls.

I haven't ever lost my data as a result of a battery pull. If the memory isn't retaining your data, it could be indicative of a memory (hardware) issue.

But you're right, you should still backup your data regularly regardless!

But to answer your question, no this isn't something you should have to deal with regularly on the Storm.

Just my tuppence!
    Last edited by bbsean; 02-15-09 at 12:01 PM.
    02-15-09 11:58 AM
    Hmm. That's something my old Palm did, because the memory was RAM and would lose everything if power was gone.

Blackberrys don't work that way. They use flash memory for storage. A battery pull should never affect anything that's been stored.

If you find out what happened, I'm sure quite a few people here would be interested. Good luck.
    02-15-09 12:11 PM
    First time I've ever heard of a battery pull wiping the device.
    Same here, I have never seen/heard of this.
    02-15-09 12:49 PM
    It's rare, but it's a known risk with battery pulls.
    02-15-09 01:37 PM
    I wouldnt say it is something you will have to deal with as a blackberry owner. I would say though to be prepared for anything when using a leaked OS. That is likely the root of the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 03:20 PM
    got most everything back thankfully and backed up again today. also upgraded to .103. hopefully it doesn't happen again
    02-15-09 04:34 PM
    Now, I don't know the architecture of the BB device, but I have to assume the data like contacts and emails are written on the chip level. Is my assumption correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 04:57 PM
    I have to ask. Why did you do the battery pull? Were you running low on memory?

Let me put it another way. If you lost "data", but not the config (as in your email accounts were still on there, just the emails were deleted) then you lost data due to low memory, not a battery pull. THIS has been known to happen.
    02-15-09 05:07 PM
    I have to ask. Why did you do the battery pull? Were you running low on memory?

Let me put it another way. If you lost "data", but not the config (as in your email accounts were still on there, just the emails were deleted) then you lost data due to low memory, not a battery pull. THIS has been known to happen.
    maybe i misunderstood, but i thought the storm didn't have the memory wipe that the pearl and curve, etc had.

it's a big problem, especially with CDMA devices b/c the phone programming is stored in the device memory, taking up room.

specifically the pearl would delete stuff (messages, contacts, call logs, etc)if the memory ran too low to keep it from crashing.
    02-15-09 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD