Is the battery life issue something that can be addressed with an update? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to batteries, nor did I have a problem out of the battery life of my Curve as I am with the Storm (and usage is the same amount).
    11-27-08 08:28 PM
    Possibly.

They could add a manual suspend mode, which would allow users to trigger the phone to save power. They could tweak the amount of power the phone uses to communicate with the tower. Who knows? Don't know for sure until they start releasing updates.
    11-27-08 08:32 PM
    Is the battery life issue something that can be addressed with an update? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to batteries, nor did I have a problem out of the battery life of my Curve as I am with the Storm (and usage is the same amount).
    Battery life gets alot better after a couple weeks of use, the seido extended oem battery
    gives you 30% more life than oem and it fits like the oem..
    Apps running in the background and signal strength are the other big factors, so to answer your original question, no, an update won't make it better, but it can get better..

BTW, one update that would help, would be a friggin standby mode..
    11-27-08 08:33 PM
    Yes an update can tweak the OS to an extent where it saves power, its called better optimization. And as others have said, a standby mode would help a lot.
    11-27-08 08:38 PM
    So are we talking a drastic improvement (doesn't sound like it)? Like to the point where it will not need to be charged every night after continual use throughout the day?
    11-27-08 08:44 PM
    So are we talking a drastic improvement (doesn't sound like it)? Like to the point where it will not need to be charged every night after continual use throughout the day?
    If it gets me through the day (which so far it has with HEAVY use) I'm good. It doesn't bother me to plug it in every night.

BTW.. love your sig
    11-27-08 08:50 PM
    Gets you through the day?! I cant use mine for more then 5-6 hours of what I consider normal use. Where do I find the extended battery? Is it already out yet? I need it, bad!
    11-27-08 08:54 PM
    I would like to buy a extended battery also
    Would love to have one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 08:58 PM
    Depends on the issue I think. If part of the drain is being caused by apps not fully closing down, especially apps that use the radios or gps, then an update that fixes that mayu help.

An update will prolly help Vodaphone users battery life as they seem to be having an issue maintaining signals, which I haven't heard nor experienced with my VZ Storm. Any phone will begin draining the battery if its constantly searching for a better signal (iPhone searching for 3g over Edge conenctivity)

I have to say on Day 1 of real use at work(I got my Storm on a Sat), the battery life was pathetic. The Storm actually turned off all radios by the time I got home at 11pm, from a fully charged state when I left the house at 11 am. I let it fully drain that night and fully charge overnight. Same usage on Tues and when I got home around the same time, I had about 25% left.

Charged from that state overnight and when I got home last night at midnight, the battery status was at 50%. Dunno what's going on but today with light use and partial charges while updating / syncing / maint via USB, Status says Batter: 95%
    11-27-08 09:00 PM
    Battery life did get better for me after the first 3 or 4 charges. It will run all day with me browsing and reading news and mail on and off most of the day.

I set my backlight to 40% brightness and it is more than bright enough unless I'm in direct sunlight. That should help. Go to the Options icon on the home screen and then select Screen/Keyboard.

But, overall, the biggest factor in your battery life will be the signal strength. My old phone would go 5 days on a charge with light use when I just took it from home to work where the signal is always strong. The same phone would go from fully charged to dead in less than 8 hours if I just threw it in my pocket and carried it around at a state park where coverage was spotty.
    11-27-08 09:34 PM
    I've noticed a big difference in battery life since I got the storm last friday. It's been lasting a lot longer now.
    11-27-08 09:36 PM
    Battery life gets alot better after a couple weeks of use, the seido extended oem battery
    gives you 30% more life than oem and it fits like the oem..
    Apps running in the background and signal strength are the other big factors, so to answer your original question, no, an update won't make it better, but it can get better..

BTW, one update that would help, would be a friggin standby mode..
    Wrong. Updates can/and do address battery issues. Look at the Bold for example. Release OS builds pretty much sucked for battery life. With recent updates, the battery life has improved a ton.
    11-27-08 09:40 PM
    My curves battery got better when I upgraded to os 4.5 significantly actually

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 09:41 PM
    at first i thought the whole battery thing was going to be a major issue, but if it can take the "beating" i put it through over the course of the day im fine with that. i can wait to charge it the following morning. i dont like charging mine overnight as once its charged, it becomes a detrimental thing to the battery to keep it plugged in.
    11-27-08 09:43 PM
    try this stuff also...

Go to options->screen/keyboard.

Turn Backlight brightness as low as you can.

Set backlight timeout to be lowest that's comfortable for you.
    11-27-08 10:03 PM
    so to answer your original question, no, an update won't make it better, ..
    An OS update can certainly improve battery life. I had a Motorola Q when they first came out, the battery last about 1/2 a day, the next OS update pushed up to a full day easy.
    11-28-08 12:08 AM
    I got this tip from the forum: If you have the Facebook application installed, get rid of it. My battery was draining way too fast since I downloaded the application. I deleted it this afternoon and my BB Bold is still showing full bars after about 6 hours of normal use.
    11-28-08 06:34 PM
    How can people claim the Storms battery life improves after a couple weeks of use? the damn thing hasn't been out for a couple weeks. Its been out for 7 days as of now. Maybe other new release BBs have had similar issues, I'm not an expert, but people talk as if they know so much about this phone.
    11-28-08 08:09 PM
    try this stuff also...

Go to options->screen/keyboard.

Turn Backlight brightness as low as you can.

Set backlight timeout to be lowest that's comfortable for you.
    I concur... I went to a VZW store today and the salesman I bought my storm from was showing me some stuff they have learned about the storm in the past week (most of which I already knew from reading this forum... ) and he mentioned that turning the brightness all the way down dramatically increases battery life... Did get to show him the screen fix though... he was speechless...
    11-28-08 08:54 PM
    How can people claim the Storms battery life improves after a couple weeks of use? the damn thing hasn't been out for a couple weeks. Its been out for 7 days as of now. Maybe other new release BBs have had similar issues, I'm not an expert, but people talk as if they know so much about this phone.
    I'm not going to claim to be anywhere near an expert on thhe Storm. But I ccan tell my personal experiences with my Storm since Nov 22. And can answer how some people might be able to claim weeks experience. Simple answer to #2: some people did have the phone prior to the release date.

Now I did post earlier in the thread, relating my battery life. I'm home now at 10:02 pm. I unplugged my Storm from the USB this morning at 11 am. Since then it has been on the USB for about 15 minutes to sync and chase a wild goose of an update.

Status Battery: 70%

Now from my personal experience with my Storm, the battery life has been increasing steadily despite the same usage. I have 4 email boxes setup, use BB maps with GPS at least 4 times a day, d/led a couple apps today, surfed a bit, updated Viigo a couple times, checked Myspace a couple times and have AIM / Yahoo Messenger running in the background.
    11-28-08 09:07 PM

Yeah, and they are talking as if they know what a battery is. I mean... How into themselves do they have to be to make us believe that they have any information on how batteries work. You know? I am with you brother.
    11-28-08 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD