What kind of battery life is everyone getting? I find myself extending the time between auto off and auto on so i dont have to charge the phone so much. I would buy an extra battery but is there a charger that can charge just a battery?

Interested in anything to increase battery life.
    12-05-08 12:16 AM
    My battery life is pretty bad too. The next update should address this problem.
    12-05-08 12:24 AM
    If you go into network settings and change it from global to 1XEV it will save you a lot on your battery it last twice as long.
    12-05-08 12:51 AM
    What is your usage looking like? What apps do you have constantly running (IM, push apps)? How many mailboxes? Do you use thhe GPS? What mode is your network connectivity set to (GSM, 1XEV, Global)? Do you still have a SIM card installed? What does your signal strength look like?

I'm asking because where some people are reporting horrible battery life, some (including me) are having the opposite. So let's look for something in common to figure out what may be draining your battery or preserving mine. For example, for today's normal usage I'm at 70% left after 14 hours.
    12-05-08 12:52 AM
    i have to recharge after about 30hrs. i probably do about 15 text messages a day, i guess i dont know what apps are always currently running. i mailbox, dont use gps, signal about 3 bars all day. sim card yes.
    12-05-08 12:57 AM
    70% left after 14 hours jesus...

I have the 5 main apps running all the time + peekawho. 1 mail box GPS location on. Network set to 1XEV. Sim card is installed. Signal is full right now. Goes from full to 3 bars sometimes.

It hasn't been charged in over 15 hours and I am at 25%.

Used Browser and AIM for about an hour today. Texted quite often also. Phone was used maybe 30-40 mins. How are you at 70%??!!?!
    12-05-08 12:57 AM
    I am in EVDO most of the day, use BES push email, use the phone quite a bit, and at the end of the day the phone is usually half full.

then i charge it ON, while i sleep.

I have repeated this for the past 2 weeks. A couple times i was less than half used so i didnt charge it, for the first time i had a smart phone last 2 full days.

This is with .65. If this is BAD, i am going to flip when it gets GOOD.
    12-05-08 12:58 AM
    I did yank the sim card out and force the network mode to 1XEV. Just speculation on my part but I figure with the card out and 1XEV, it'd disable the GSM radio.

Only other things I can think of that might conserve power would be the backlight being set to 10. I did have horrid battery on the first day of use, barely lasting 1/2 a day. But it's steadily increased everyday since the first time I turned it on 11/22. I have drained the battery completely twice since then as well and charged fully overnight via AC power.
    12-05-08 01:33 AM
    I usually get pretty decent battery life out of mine and I use it for IM, web, music, and texts.
    12-05-08 01:37 AM
    Bump I would like to hear more stories!
    12-05-08 07:01 AM
    I get 3 days out of my standard. I am not a heavy user, but I check probably about 10 web pages a day and send about 25 texts/emails per day and receive about 50.
    12-05-08 07:22 AM
    If you go into network settings and change it from global to 1XEV it will save you a lot on your battery it last twice as long.
    This fix my problem I believe. I would wake up around 5am to go to work and my phone was fully charge. Around 1pm I was like down to 40%-50%. Change the network settings to 1xEV and also the screen backlight to 40% and I havent charge my phone since yesterday and I am still at 55% today
    12-05-08 07:25 AM
    Mine has horrible battery life. I have to charge every night because it is down to one bar. I spend maybe an hour hit or miss total on the web and perhaps 35-50 text messages per day. Very seldom use for PHONE calls. haha.( it's a phone too?? ) i have 3 mailboxes set up. Never listen to music or watch movies.
    Changed it this morning from global to 1xev per this forum. Will test that out to see if it really does improve the batt. performance. I'll post back my results.

I love this place!!!
    12-05-08 08:37 AM
    I usually have about 70% batter left after 18 hrs use. 20/30 texts, viigo 4 or so times a day - updated hourly, browser for about 20 minutes, maybe an hour or so of talk time. Settings are for 1x instead of global, 10% backlight intensity. The thing that helped me go from horrendous battery life to excellent battery life was about a 15 hour charge. Someone on here had mentioned that they got great battery life after a lengthy charge, I figured it couldn't hurt so I gave it a shot. Glad I did.
    12-05-08 08:44 AM
    I was on mine for about 2.5-3 hrs (phone calls,emails,web use) the other day and the phone was dead within 5 hrs of having it on. SUCKS!!
    12-05-08 08:55 AM
    so last night i put the phone in the cradle for charging when it was about 70% full... this was approximately 10:30pm. this morning i wake up at 5:30, check my phone and ITS STILL CHARGING!! but not thats not even the bad part... it was missing half a bar. The charge level was at 85%!! ive been running .75 since it was first leaked and this is the first time ive had this problem.
    12-05-08 09:02 AM
    I was on mine for about 2.5-3 hrs (phone calls,emails,web use) the other day and the phone was dead within 5 hrs of having it on. SUCKS!!
    Not to sound preachy but posting that it sucks doesn't get anyone to the cause of why it sucks.

So far it seems as if the people reporting great battery life have turned off GSM support. If that's a 'fix' then it's because people are trying to work together.
    12-05-08 09:06 AM
    I find my battery life to definitely be sub-par. The update to .75 definitely helped but it still is nothing great. My Curve easily trumped the battery life on my Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 09:36 AM
    I have mine set to 1XEV instead of global and I typically browse websites for maybe 45 minutes a day...receive 75 emails and send out 15-20 emails/txt messages...Call time of maybe 30-40 minutes total...IM program always running...

Take off charger at 6:00am and last night by 8:00pm the radio turned off because the battery was so low...same thing happened the day before...

I am on the leaked .75 version...Hopefully the VZW upgrade is higher than .75 and fixes it a little more...

Can't believe people are actually using the phone and get over a day of battery life...
    12-05-08 09:57 AM
    Hello all, I'm new to the Crackberry phenomenon!

I'm having a terrible issue with battery life. The phone has a full charge when I go to bed, and when I wake up, it is at "low battery". I thought it was a defective battery, and the VZW store provided a new battery, but the problem occurred again this morning!

I am going to switch the phone to only 1XEV now, and the only apps I have downloaded are WeatherBug, Crackberry, CNN, ESPN, GMaps, and youtube. I also am pushing email from 3 accounts. I've had the phone since 11/24, and this has only been happening the past 2 days! The only thing that has changed is that I downloaded Weather Bug, Crackberry, and youtube apps 2 days ago.

What can cause this to be happening all of a sudden??? I would hate to have to auto-on and auto-off the phone at night!
    12-05-08 10:03 AM
    Hello all, I'm new to the Crackberry phenomenon!

I'm having a terrible issue with battery life. The phone has a full charge when I go to bed, and when I wake up, it is at "low battery". I thought it was a defective battery, and the VZW store provided a new battery, but the problem occurred again this morning!

I am going to switch the phone to only 1XEV now, and the only apps I have downloaded are WeatherBug, Crackberry, CNN, ESPN, GMaps, and youtube. I also am pushing email from 3 accounts. I've had the phone since 11/24, and this has only been happening the past 2 days! The only thing that has changed is that I downloaded Weather Bug, Crackberry, and youtube apps 2 days ago.

What can cause this to be happening all of a sudden??? I would hate to have to auto-on and auto-off the phone at night!

Based on your email that it has been happening the last two days . . I am going to guess one of those aps is the problem. FIRST, are you closing the aps when done using them or are you backing out by hitting the red button? You want to make sure they are closed and not running in the back. Next, try removing them one at a time and test. I would bet that one of those aps is sucking power and when you remove that one - you will get better battery life.
    12-05-08 10:10 AM
    Mine sucked at first, but is pretty good now. I charge it on, every night, for 8 hours. I probably use the phone about 20minutes average a day, spend an hour or so on the web, send and receive e-mail, SMS, BB messneger, etc. I have the weatherbug app running constantly. I'd say I average someplace around 55% battery left at the end of a normal day. Light use day might be 70%. Heavy around 35%.

I have it set to 1xEV, 40% backlight, 20 seconds to dim.
    12-05-08 10:11 AM
    Thanks troutseth. I have been closing the apps, but I probably need to make sure I do that more religiously and ESPECIALLY at night. I hope that's the issue! I'd hate to lose any apps, especially since I only have 6 right now.

I wish the phone had an indicator on what is being run in the background, similar to "Task Manager" on PCs.

On a side note, I love my Storm!
    Last edited by fhko; 12-05-08 at 10:23 AM. Reason: new thoughts
    12-05-08 10:18 AM
    Yesterday was the first day I went the entire day with the Storm out of the holster. Battery life was significantly worse because of it. My normal day consists of 50 text messages, the same number of emails, 2-3 hours of talk time, an hour of audiobook, and some random web browsing, etc. Normally with the phone in the holster most of the day, I'll end the day with ~50% charge. Last night I ended at 5%.

Hopefully future firmware upgrades allows for a sleep mode even when out of the holster.
    12-05-08 10:27 AM
    garath what settings are you using??? thanks.
    12-05-08 10:30 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD