Hi all, looks like the people using their 8900 Curves are having the same battery issue as us, random battery drains.

I had a search and a lot of them were using the OEM holster. If they left the phone in the holster, it was draining it big time. If they didnt use it, they were getting anywhere up to 5x the battery usage.

SO I did a little test with mine, 1 hour = 15 percent Battery loss in the Holster, 1 hour out = no loss.

Im guessing that a button is being depressed whilst in the holster and is causing the phone to lose it's charge even though it shouldn't. Im ordering another case with a sleep magnet (not a pouch) to see if the issue is indeed this and not the magnet.

Im summary, if you are using the OEM holster and have issues, I would suggest tht you stop using it and see what happens to your battery duration.
    02-05-09 12:42 AM
    Possible... I have one of these https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=dyLqr9DK

With the screen facing inward and the End key up, pressure while sitting would power off the phone. I just inverted it so the Send key is up. Now I only occasionally redial ppl
    02-05-09 12:47 AM
    My finding from last night.

I left the phone out of the holster, but sat the holster on top so it still went to sleep for about 8 hours. When I woke up and checked, the phone was at100. Played around with it etc, lost 5 percent battery from about an hour or so of random browsing.

I put the phone in the holster when I drove to work, checked it every hour or so for 3 hours at work and I lose 10 percent battery per hour when in the holster.

It has to be some sort of button issue when it's in the holster or something, well for me anyways.
    02-05-09 03:33 PM
    I'm wondering if there's a right and wrong way to put the phone in the holster. I'm getting big-time battery drain randomly. Sometimes, I don't get much drain. I don't put it in the holster in any particular way - i.e., screen forward or back, etc. I'm wondering if one way works better than another.

bert
    02-07-09 07:25 PM
    I had a verizon holster/clip style case that put the phone to sleep and I never had any battery loss. I recently bought a leather BB case for a Curve that also puts the phone to sleep (I also bought a curve to swap back an forth on my line to trash and keep my storm nice......What? It was only $20 ) and the storm fits great! So far (after 2 weeks or so) I havent seen any weird battey drains?

Now I know somthing could be up, Ill keep an eye on it.
    02-07-09 08:55 PM
    I discovered something interesting related to this issue: when I got my 8900 last week, I bought two OEM leather holsters, a black one and a brown one. I found that my 8900 goes to standby mode in the brown case but not the black one. As a result, after 12 hours of heavy use, the battery is drained if I'm using the black holster but is still 2/3 full if I'm using the brown one.

So, as a good scientist, I tried to figure out what's different between the two holsters. The only difference I can see is that the polarity of the magnetic clasp is reversed (positive polarity facing outward in one holster and facing inward in the other), which prevents the device from going to standby for some reason. I'm going to exchange my black holster and see if my theory is correct.
    02-21-09 07:37 PM
    did you change the options that make it to were it can take a phone call in the holster. I found that it will lose battery power if that is on so If I have it in the holster I make it to were it cannot take phone calls=no battery lose.
    02-21-09 09:23 PM
    did you change the options that make it to were it can take a phone call in the holster. I found that it will lose battery power if that is on so If I have it in the holster I make it to were it cannot take phone calls=no battery lose.
    Really, turning it into a paperweight=better battery life?
    02-21-09 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD