So today, I experienced another unusual flaw on my Storm. I fell asleep and my battery died on the phone. When I woke up, I plugged it into the charger and turned the phone back on and didn't think anything of it. However, when I didn't receive any phone calls, texts, or e-mails (junk e-mail every 5 mins usually), I became suspicious. It turns out that the phone had turned off cell reception. Where there are usually bars and 1xev-do displayed, it simply said "off". I tried to turn it back on through options but I couldn't figure it out so I simply turned it off and then back on again. That seemed to take care of it.

As soon as the restart occurred, voicemails and messages piled in. Anyone else have this issue?

Sorry if this thread was duplicated, its 430 a.m., so i might have missed it browsing the threads
    12-02-08 03:29 AM
    right before your battery dies it turns off all connections.

but phone does the same thing right now, but i go into my communication tab and turn it back on.
    12-02-08 03:32 AM
    do you know of any way to disable that from occurring? That could become a serious issue if your battery dies and your as forgetful as i am!
    12-02-08 03:36 AM
    basically it turns off the radios to try and save some battery.. just keep your phone charged....
    12-02-08 03:55 AM
    I let mine drain down all the way once on purpose. When I charged it again, after the charge got high enough (5-10% I think), the radios were turned back on automatically.
    12-02-08 05:55 AM
    All BlackBerrys turn the radio off when the battery drops to a certain level.
    12-02-08 06:24 AM
    Yanchikov: Mine was actually 95 percent charged when i realized the radios were off. Do you know if thats a setting that needs to be adjusted on the Storm?

VT_Hokie: I had an 8830 before my Storm, and the battery died all the time and this never happened before. Which model did you experience this on?
    12-02-08 01:57 PM
    Yanchikov: Mine was actually 95 percent charged when i realized the radios were off. Do you know if thats a setting that needs to be adjusted on the Storm?

VT_Hokie: I had an 8830 before my Storm, and the battery died all the time and this never happened before. Which model did you experience this on?
    All my blackberry's have done this. So have all of my windows mobile devices also.
    12-02-08 02:16 PM
    I have had both the Pearl and the Curve. On both, the radio turns off when the battery gets low. They both also turn back on once charged, however, on occassion I have had to manually restore the connection. So, this is not a Storm flaw at all.
    12-02-08 02:34 PM
    Once the battery gets to a certain low, it will automatically turn off the radio. Once it is fully charged or charged enough, you have to manually turn the radio back on. This has been the case for most BB, I know for certain with the Pearl and Curve.
    12-02-08 03:48 PM
    the battery level is not the issue with this known problem. it is to be addressed in a future firmware update. til then, if it happens, just go in and manually turn the radio back on.
    12-02-08 04:02 PM
    i guess i was just oblivious to the my old phone and never noticed the radios being turned off because it must have automatically turned back on after the charge.

Thanks Toastyz71, that was the answer i was looking for. I didnt think it was normal for a phone to turn off cell radio and then not turn back on. Thanks!!
    12-02-08 04:39 PM
    Is there anyway to prevent this. I guess I really need to get a car charger but I occasionally find myself without power and in emergency situations, aka I lose the challenge to see how low I can push the gas gauge and would like to be able to override and turn the radios on to make a quick call.
    12-02-08 06:32 PM
    CULU:

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!! I do the same thing!
    12-02-08 06:33 PM
    Actually, I have found that just buying an extra battery is about the same price as a car charger (if a VIP customer, it is exactly the same price.) I keep a back up battery charged, just in case. Who has ever driven long enough to really get enough of a charge for their phone? I find having a fully charged battery much more convenient. Throw it in your car instead, same price.
    12-02-08 07:00 PM
    Is there anyway to prevent this. I guess I really need to get a car charger but I occasionally find myself without power and in emergency situations, aka I lose the challenge to see how low I can push the gas gauge and would like to be able to override and turn the radios on to make a quick call.
    CULU:

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!! I do the same thing!
    look at what i posted above....

the battery level is not the issue with this known problem. it is to be addressed in a future firmware update. til then, if it happens, just go in and manually turn the radio back on.
    12-02-08 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD