I want that app from G1 phone the bar code scanner. you scan bar codes from the camera and it tells you the price and where you could get the lowest price at. I hope they make app for the storm.
    12-09-08 12:09 AM
    I bet we would all like that
    12-09-08 12:19 AM
    +1 for me on the scanner
    12-09-08 12:20 AM
    ooo... ooo... me too! that would just be so useful.
    12-09-08 12:23 AM
    Is it similar to the BeeTag ?
    12-09-08 12:23 AM
    I work for one of the top bar code scanner companies. Gotta admit it would be a handy feature.

If it was written as a library that others can call it would be even more powerful as one could then write applications such as DVD rental type things were you can index all the DVDs you own and then you could associate different movies with contacts so that you always know who has your movies. **** you could even schedule reminders so that the phone automatically texts them after they've had it for a few weeks to remind them to bring it back.

Could also use it to read an ISBN off a book and pull up recommended other books for you from amazon.

Possibilities are endless.
    12-09-08 12:24 AM
    I work for one of the top bar code scanner companies. Gotta admit it would be a handy feature.

If it was written as a library that others can call it would be even more powerful as one could then write applications such as DVD rental type things were you can index all the DVDs you own and then you could associate different movies with contacts so that you always know who has your movies. **** you could even schedule reminders so that the phone automatically texts them after they've had it for a few weeks to remind them to bring it back.

Could also use it to read an ISBN off a book and pull up recommended other books for you from amazon.

Possibilities are endless.
    Cool ideas on the G1 you scan it and it will bring up all the stores that have the item in stock and who has it cheapest etc. It looks really cool.
    12-09-08 12:29 AM
    Yep, I read about that and have been wanting it pretty badly. I hope someone develops this!
    12-09-08 12:32 AM
    yeah, seriously... the main problem with the phone beside all of the other problems... haha is that we dont have an app store. i hate to compare but apple sure does have that part on lockdown. Im optimistic with RIM and hope it comes out earlier than their announced release date.
    12-09-08 01:28 AM
    yeah, seriously... the main problem with the phone beside all of the other problems... haha is that we dont have an app store. i hate to compare but apple sure does have that part on lockdown. Im optimistic with RIM and hope it comes out earlier than their announced release date.
    They could release it now but there wouldn't be many apps. By them prolonging the release date it gives a chance for developers to develop their apps.
    12-09-08 01:30 AM
    At least we had service when we got our phones. Give it a little time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 02:31 AM
    I'd like to see this app available for the storm. And while Apple may have RIM beat on the app store right now, you've got to keep in mind that when the iPhone launched it had just as many apps available as we do now, if not fewer. Once the Storm has been out for a 1 1/2 years I'm confident we'll be be more than caught up
    12-09-08 03:02 AM
    ScanLife works on our phone. I use it all the time. 2D barcodes though.
    12-09-08 06:08 AM
    I think the app you're talking about on the G1 is called CompareEverywhere. Obviously it's written for the Android OS, but maybe if the creator sees a need on BB, they will port it.

BTW, first post here. Current Motorola KRZR user. Chomping at the bit to dive into the BB world when my contract is up, and I can get my hands on a STORM!
    12-09-08 08:32 AM
    Mark - what are the benefits of using scanlife if you can't scan barcodes? Just curious b/c I thought about downlading it.
    12-09-08 08:46 AM
    BTW - I just checked out the CompareEverywhere site and it kind of blows. No "contact us" link to send requests to. Would love to see that app made for BB. Anyone know how to get requests to them?
    12-09-08 08:51 AM
    My wife has a G1, so I might have to check this feature out.
    12-09-08 09:29 AM
    They could release it now but there wouldn't be many apps. By them prolonging the release date it gives a chance for developers to develop their apps.
    i hope that they eventually open it up to everyone to create apps like the iphone app store. Sure it would probably get flooded with 30 different "flashlight" apps but there are apps that are truly genius and are created by individuals.
    12-09-08 09:54 AM
    Sure it would probably get flooded with 30 different "flashlight" apps but there are apps that are truly genius and are created by individuals.
    Slightly OT but, when I had my Palm, there was a guy who wrote an app called "Mirror". It just turned the whole screen grey (B&W screen days) so you could see yourself relfected in the screen. That was bad.
    12-09-08 11:56 AM
    I think the app you're talking about on the G1 is called CompareEverywhere. Obviously it's written for the Android OS, but maybe if the creator sees a need on BB, they will port it.

BTW, first post here. Current Motorola KRZR user. Chomping at the bit to dive into the BB world when my contract is up, and I can get my hands on a STORM!
    It's called ShopSavy made by biginjapan.com... I seriously doubt that'll happen on the blackberry.
    12-09-08 12:01 PM
    Its not CompareEverywhere or ShopSavy, its called Zxing (Zebra Crossing) that is on the G1. Its a google code with clients for for Android, Java, and iPhone. There is a code being made for Blackberry phones as stated on the google site. I can't post links, but google Zxing and it should be the first link.
    12-09-08 12:15 PM
    ^ That's great there making one for the storm. I would even pay for this app.

12-09-08 03:55 PM
    There is more than one app that does that on the G1 so guess what - you're all correct.
    12-09-08 04:17 PM
    I'd get it

12-09-08 04:27 PM
    thats sweet. i would use that
    12-09-08 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD