Some of my backups are ~1mb .IPD files, while others are 40+mb .CAB (zip) files. I've never tested a restore, and am mainly concerned about my calendar, contact, & task data.

1) why are backups different format (ipd, cab)?
    2) why are some backups small, and some large?
    3) is there anyway to see whats in the backup files, without actually doing a restore (and wiping out my current info)?

Thanks.
    07-08-09 12:26 PM
    1..ipd is just like a directory that tells DM where to get your stuff (in the .cab file).

2. just depends on how much you backed up i guess ha.

3. Not really, but if you go bckup/restore in DM, then advanced, you can navigate to the .ipd file on your computer and replace single databases only on your device, saving the rest of your info.
    07-08-09 01:58 PM
    1..ipd is just like a directory that tells DM where to get your stuff (in the .cab file).

2. just depends on how much you backed up i guess ha.

3. Not really, but if you go bckup/restore in DM, then advanced, you can navigate to the .ipd file on your computer and replace single databases only on your device, saving the rest of your info.
    I did a little research. The .ipd file is the backup data and includes tasks, calendar and other backed up data, and is not just a directory to the data. I could view the large .cab file data, it includes a backup of my media (videos, music, ect).

The reason that I only have a couple of .cab files is because I usually only backup application data, and not all of my media. My weekly .ipd backups appear to be ok, and include all of my pda/pim data, which is what I want.

I think everything is being backed up correctly. Thanks.
    07-08-09 02:20 PM
    Ok thanks I am corrected. I must have confused the 3rd party apps bckup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD