Is the backlight supposed to go off during calls? I am screenlock installed if that makes a difference. Maybe my face was pressing the screen and turning the backlight back on?

I was just on a 1.5 hour call and noticed the backlight was on the whole time. It basically took 60% battery on this call.

Anyone have any recommendations (outside of getting a headset for long calls, I realize this is the best option but wasn't avaliable to me at the time).
    02-22-09 04:05 PM
    No option for you if you're running the certified .75 OS. In the new OS versions, once the backlight goes out during a call, it will not turn back on unless you click the screen or a button. Simply touching the screen with your skin will not turn the backlight back on. The trick is to let the backlight time out during the call by not touching the screen with your ear or cheek until it dims, then you're all set.... but like I said, that's just with the new OS versions, something you might not be willing to run since they are not certified by the carrier.
    02-22-09 04:12 PM
    Yeah I'm still on .75... I guess that explains that.

Does the backlight go out in .75 if I'm on a headset?
    02-22-09 04:18 PM
    It should, but I've been off that version for so long it's not even funny. The thing is, even if it goes out, it'll turn back on if you touch the screen. That's the issue with the OSs before .9x. It wasn't changed until after that.

One option you would have is to use the headset and just put the phone into a pouch or holster that's made by RIM to turn the screen off. However, remember to go into Phone options and turn off "Autoend Calls on Holster", otherwise you'll hang up each time you put it into the pouch/holster and wonder why. lol
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-22-09 at 04:24 PM.
    02-22-09 04:22 PM
    Good to know - thanks. Can't wait for this new OS.
    02-22-09 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD