I did a fairly thorough search for this issue and found nothing; feel free to point me in the right direction if this has already been addressed.

A couple people have asked about enabling/disabling AutoText or SmartCase for a variety of reasons. I know how to toggle those functions.

My issue is this: I enjoy using punctuation because I'm kind of a nerd. But for some reason my Storm OS seems to read much punctuation as a spelling error, and goes on to correct it.

exempli gratia

Say I'm texting a friend because I cannot make up my mind about something. I type:

Here are my options:

and the AutoText kicks in, and changes it to:

Here are my options

Now, maybe I'm being nitpicky but I like colons, semicolons, etc. I'd like to leave the AutoText function enabled, since with my pepperoni-sized thumbs I constantly hit adjacent keys by mistake; it definitely helps correct errors along the way.

Is the price of that convenience the inability to have my punctuation marks ignored by the AutoText feature?

NB: For those of you who've commented in other posts about the BlackBerry being first and foremost a "professional" or "business" device, now's your time to shine. If I use a semicolon, it's because I mean to use a semicolon; what's more professional and businesslike than a properly used semicolon?! (Also, since you won't have found any grammatical errors in this post, perhaps we could skip the usual chiding about how the BlackBerry is smarter than me when it comes to grammar and punctuation. Just a thought.)
    06-25-09 02:35 PM
    Autotext & spellcheck never remove my punctuation. Elaborate?
    06-25-09 07:49 PM
    Hmmm... Well all I can say is when it's not , . " or () it gets "corrected." Options

See right there I typed Options: and then the spacebar. As I typed the colon, the little
    blue box came up and suggested "Options" which replaced "Options:" when I hit space.

Odd, no? Hopefully you can tell me why this happens, but in any case, thanks for the
    reply!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 07:57 PM
    Can't replicate or think of why! Upon my typing a colon/semi-colon @ end of word, the selection box disappears. Maybe ur screen is freezing up & all will be resolved by battery pull (w/device on)!?
    06-25-09 09:08 PM
    So weird! I did a proper battery pull but that didn't resolve it. Stumper!

Maybe it's a glitch in the new firmware? Only had my storm for about a week...

Other than this issue, loving it. Thanks for helping me try to figure this out!

06-25-09 09:19 PM
    Well i hope it goes away.
    06-25-09 09:26 PM
    Thanks me too... Wait, I mean Thanks; me too LOL!

06-25-09 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD