I found one discussion regarding this issue but it was kind of all over the place with different issues so I'm going to start another. I don't even know what this problem is called so I couldn't search very far. Forgive me if this topic is out there already.

During almost EVERY call I make or receive my audio goes dead. I can hear the other person saying "hello? are you there?" but they can't hear me at all. It's to the point where I'm getting very frustrated and embarrassed. Can anyone tell me if this is a hardware issue that I should take to Verizon or what might be causing it? I do have the original (I just got an email that they're selling it now so I guess what I have was the beta?) CellAvant talk lock on my phone. Could this be the issue? Any thoughts?
    05-16-09 11:29 AM
    Did you try a wipe and battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 11:55 AM
    I haven't tried a wipe but I do pull the battery every couple of days. Not sure how to do a wipe - are there instructions around?
    05-16-09 12:00 PM
    This is a common problem with the storm. Some have speculated it's an issue with the microphone or its opening; others say it is user error related to how you hold the phone (obscuring the mic hole); still others claim it is a noise cancellation bug. Bottom line, there is no real fix for it. I'm on my 3rd storm...I've tried every setting...all of the recent OSs...it's still an issue. Another reason this phone is a huge disappointment.
    05-16-09 12:09 PM
    Get rid of 3rd party app and also tell us what OS you're on. You forgot about that. This could also be a hardware issue, but if you do a security wipe on your phone and then test it with a few calls and it's fine (before you restore your data or apps), then it's something you're putting on it... whether it's user data or 3rd party apps. I'd start by removing that talk lock app first and see where that gets you.
    05-16-09 12:11 PM
    VZW tech support: 1(800) 922-0204
    05-16-09 12:20 PM
    Had same problem till i figured out it was my stupidity, pinky finger covering mic switch hands when it happens and see if it works.
    05-16-09 12:29 PM
    Thanks everyone! I did call VZW and they had me reconnect with the local towers swearing that would solve my problem. I only have 2 apps, weatherbug and the swipelock. I'm using the OS that came with the phone 2 months ago. I'm pretty sure I'm not covering the mic - is it on the bottom of the phone? My hands don't fit over it comfortably.
    05-16-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD