hey all,

i dropped my storm last week, and its been acting all wonky since. this is my original one, got it back in i believe jan/feb 09, never had any issues. ive never put in an insurance claim before... but im wondering if they'll let me upgrade to a storm 2?

wishful thinking... but ya never know.

thx
    12-08-09 09:50 PM
    More than likely, no.
    12-08-09 10:04 PM
    It's gonna be up to them - I got an upgrade, but only after getting 2 other replacements that were broke (in one way or another) within one week. I was then offered a new phone if they had one in stock at the moment - they had 2 - an S1 and a S2 - then gave me a choice of either phone.
    I think this was a special cercumstance - and I have never made a claim on the three lines we have along with being in good standing may have played a role
    12-08-09 10:19 PM
    They won't upgrade unless they're out of stock on the phone you have- which they probably won't be.
    12-08-09 10:33 PM
    hey all,

i dropped my storm last week, and its been acting all wonky since. this is my original one, got it back in i believe jan/feb 09, never had any issues. ive never put in an insurance claim before... but im wondering if they'll let me upgrade to a storm 2?

thx
    Depends on what is wrong with it and how you act with the rep. If i must say so myself.
    12-09-09 01:52 PM
    Like ComfortablyNumb said, Asurion will offer you a different comparable model if they don't have the model that the claim is being made on. Secondly, Asurion does have the option to offer you a different phone for various reasons.

1. Out of stock as mentioned.
    2. Approval from a supervisor (in case you know somebody at Asurion).
    3. You have completed a claim but the replacement phone you received was faulty (like rayzryd266 said, they'll offer it to you in some cases. In my case, I had a Treo 700p, received the replacement with a dead screen, then received another replacement with a bad speaker, and they offered me a different model and I took the 755p).
    4. You're very nice, sweet, charming, and know how to sweet talk a person into getting you what you need (I tried this a few times but I never got it to work but I've heard of people getting free upgrades through Asurion using this method).

Good luck. With a large number of refurbished Storm1s being available these days, I doubt they'll be out of stock.
    12-10-09 02:10 PM
    hey all,

thx
    D-Block - here's something I tried that worked:

After my Storm 1 (9530) got all beaten up and cracked, I went online, paid Asurion's deductible, and received . . .

A refurbished Storm 1.

SO . . . I called Asurion and told their Tech Support that I was VERY unhappy with the phone they'd sent me. (it still had nicks, scratches and even some dust from the last owner. $90 for THAT?? Forget it.

Anyway, I was "upset-yet-calm", which the lady seemed to appreciate. She offered to overnight me a brand new, non-refurbished Storm 1. I said, "I was wondering . . . would it be possible for me to upgrade to a Storm 2?"

The nice lady said a Storm 2 isn't considered an upgrade, its considered "comparable" - so she could easily ship me a Storm 2 instead.

I was quite happy, and they even said I'd get it tomorrow! (When I hung up the phone, it was already 8:30pm! And its coming TOMORROW??! Crazy!)

Asurion must have improved their Customer Service department recently, as they were very willing to do whatever to make me happy. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Good luck,
    -Schmenny

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 06:47 AM
    Meh, I have not had any good come from contacting Asurion. My S1 screen died recently. It would stop accepting input at times and other times it would act like I pressed items 10 times. The device was out of warranty from VZW and they told me to contact Asurion. When I did, Asurion stated it was a manufacturer defect and VZW would have to replace it. Of course when I contacted VZW again, they sent me back to Asurion telling me to tell them the device was damaged and that the screen did not work. Asurion refused to replace the device again because there was no water or physical damage to the device and sent me back to VZW. The third time I contacted VZW, they replaced my device for free. When I asked about the possibility of an upgrade to the S2, I was told that there are plenty of S1 devices in stock for VZW and Asurion to pull from for quite a while.
    04-06-10 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD