Hi i was wondering if there is a way to add more application memory to the storm or if i am able to store the apps on my memory card? If anyone has an answer for this it would be great.. Thanks
    03-08-09 05:51 PM
    Unfortunately the answer to both those questions is no.

Maybe some day though.
    03-08-09 05:55 PM
    Hi i was wondering if there is a way to add more application memory to the storm or if i am able to store the apps on my memory card? If anyone has an answer for this it would be great.. Thanks
    What are you saying your storm doesn't have enough memory? Mine has 20gb of app memory.
    03-08-09 06:13 PM
    If you are running out of memory try:

1. delete any 3rd party apps (inc themes) that you never use

2. make sure to properly close all apps when you are done using them (menu > close/exit) rather than just jumping out

3. try to identify problematic 3rd party apps/themes that are causing a memory leak. you may want to think back to when you first noticed the problem and what apps you loaded around that time.

Good luck.
    03-08-09 06:20 PM
    How to efficiently manage your BlackBerry’s data | BlackBerry Cool

^^ an app that loads third party apps to a memory card

Not free but comes with a 7 day trial.
    03-08-09 06:20 PM
    there is also a free app (quick pull) that allows you to schedule a daily automatic hard reset which will reset your application memory as well

i have mine to restart my phone every night
    03-08-09 06:23 PM
    +1 for quickpull. I use it every day.
    03-08-09 06:24 PM
    What is considered a "good" amount of free application memory? I generally have between 20-25MB of free app memory by the middle of the day.
    03-08-09 06:40 PM
    What is considered a "good" amount of free application memory? I generally have between 20-25MB of free app memory by the middle of the day.
    that's about as good as it gets on a storm; anything below 10 probably warrants a reset to clear up.
    03-08-09 06:49 PM
    that's about as good as it gets on a storm; anything below 10 probably warrants a reset to clear up.
    Why does it get so low, exactly? Is it just a problem with the current (and leaked) OS that will eventually be fixed, or just something RIM can't seem to figure out how to correct?
    03-08-09 07:14 PM
    I am now having a problem with the quick pull, when i click on it it gives me the options yes, no and schedule. HOwever i can not use any of them it freezes up on me. Any idea what i should do to get it to work?
    03-08-09 07:18 PM
    What are you saying your storm doesn't have enough memory? Mine has 20gb of app memory.
    How dis you get 20gb of memory space for your apps. I am not even sure what the amount of storage the storm even comes with. I know it came with a 8gb memory card and that is about it. So please do tell me how i can get 20gb please
    03-08-09 07:23 PM
    is it true you can get a 16gb memory card for the bb storm,
    03-08-09 07:32 PM

yeah, but if you have awesome VZW ******* like i do at the store near me. They tell you that the storm isnt compatible with the 16GB, then you bring up the features part of the storm in the book or on thier web page that it is upgradable to 16GB, not included of course. Then they treat you like crap.
    03-08-09 08:05 PM
    Why does it get so low, exactly? Is it just a problem with the current (and leaked) OS that will eventually be fixed, or just something RIM can't seem to figure out how to correct?
    This particular dead horse has been beaten into a sticky paste. Do a search for everything from someone's tinfoil hat conspiracy theory to useful, logical, answers that tend to be ignored by the majority.

RAM is there to be used, and 100% utilization, or thereabouts, is a GOOD THING. Would you pay for a storage unit if you weren't going to actually store anything in it?
    03-08-09 08:53 PM
    Here is a great link for memory cards...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/
    03-08-09 09:00 PM
    i was actually at verison the other day and the manager told me the 16gb should be out in a month or 2
    03-08-09 09:02 PM
    This particular dead horse has been beaten into a sticky paste. Do a search for everything from someone's tinfoil hat conspiracy theory to useful, logical, answers that tend to be ignored by the majority.

RAM is there to be used, and 100% utilization, or thereabouts, is a GOOD THING. Would you pay for a storage unit if you weren't going to actually store anything in it?
    so there is a way to use the memory card to store apps is what you are saying. Can you please point me in the right direction to the correct thread?? thanks..
    03-08-09 09:04 PM
    I wish we could save the apps in to the memory card...it would be great!
    03-08-09 09:05 PM

You have 1gb of internal memory storage to start with ... once the OS and core apps are installed you have about 880mb left for additional apps. Plus you have 8gb on the MicroSD card for Media storage. Most apps have a relatively small footprint so the internal 1gb should be quite sufficient to store a lot of them. If you are talking about increasing RAM with a physical upgrade the answer is no. However, as has been stated, the phone will use ALL available RAM and also clean it as needed just the way a PC does.

I have seen my Storm get down to 2.4mb of available memory after some intense video shooting and then uploading the video and also using it as a GPS nav for several hours. Just for fun I figured, well I'll either crash the device or see how good it is and I opened the Storm Slots game knowing it is a memory intensive app. Not only did it run great but after I closed the game I went to Options>Memory and was quite surprised to see I had 20.3mb free. The Storm cleared 18mb of memory all by itself so it could load and run the game. I think everyone is getting a little "battery-pull twitchy" around here every time they see a RAM dip. I'm using .109 and YES some 3rd party apps leak and YES a battery pull is not a bad idea, but it has also been posted in this thread ... the device is supposed to use all the memory allocated, the device is supposed to have the ability to clean out java and recover unused memory when a new request is made ...

Actually this is far more similar to Linux/UNIX than to Windows so disregard my earlier PC reference. I take care of over 1,000 AIX/UNIX servers every day and they all run at very high CPU and system resource (memory and swap space) percentages compared to an Intel/Windows PC and they never have a problem unless they get overwhelmed by a runaway process or an app that hits them too hard and too fast for the OS to recover unused resources fast enough to feed the new request. This can result in an unresponsive server condition. Sound familiar? But it doesn't happen very often and if you have an app on your Storm that seems to lock it up or cause unexpected restarts you may want to reconsider how important that app is to you.

Currently I'm running OS .109 ... right now the phone has been on all day and has used 1 bar of battery power ... I have 24.1mb of memory, 873.8 of 879.2mb of internal memory left and 7.5gb left on my storage card. I have all the core apps installed and I use VZW Navigator and Visual Voice Mail. I also have Google Maps, Flickr, BB Maps, VCast, AP News, SitnSquat, jmirc, Slacker radio, Trapster, Crackberry AppStore launcher, GIST Speed Test, Solytare, WHERE, Beyond 411, Storm Slots, TWSS (That's what she said from the TV show the Office), Easy Button, Poynt, iBeeFarting, Opera Mini browser, Hockey News, Bolt beta browser and XtremeLabs speedtest (547Kbps down 352 Kbps up) ...

No crashes, no lockups ... if it feels sluggish I pull the battery ... 3 times in 2 weeks since running .109 ...

Oh yeah, if your web browsing seems sluggish clear your Browser History, Cookies, Cached Web Pages once in a while ... this really IS like a Windows PC. It will really slow down browsing if the cache gets too full.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by cadzilla74; 03-08-09 at 09:40 PM.
    03-08-09 09:30 PM

Fair enough. I was under the impression that full utilization of device memory would lead to slow-down on the device. If that's not the case, then I guess I have nothing to worry about! Thanks for the help.
    03-09-09 09:13 AM
    +1 for quickpull. I use it every day.
    Quickpull is awesome. I did have issues trying to setup a schedule on the storm.
    03-09-09 10:04 AM
    Quickpull is awesome. I did have issues trying to setup a schedule on the storm.
    Disable Compatibility Mode under Option, Advanced Applications, Applications...and you should be good.
    03-09-09 11:52 AM
    This is completly Strom and OS related people need to not freak out about app memory I go down to 7 sometimes I only reboot when my storm gets laggy and thats when I check free app memory and decide to do a quick pull (which is almost no longer needed in newer OS's)
    03-09-09 12:02 PM
    so there is a way to use the memory card to store apps is what you are saying. Can you please point me in the right direction to the correct thread?? thanks..
    No... That would be STORAGE and NOT memory/RAM.
    03-09-09 12:21 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD