I avoided 2 iphone generations because I knew once someone came out with a touch screen phone. RIM/Waterloo would come out with one and exceeds what apple has done so far. As far as I am concerned apple went with the wrong company in the 1st place.
    I'm in no way trying to defend the iPhone, but how has it exceeded and you stated you "avoided" the 2 iPhone generations and have yet to experience the final product Storm/Thunder?
    10-07-08 01:03 AM
    StarTac you mean?
    Dude lay off my StarTac!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 01:11 AM
    So many customers still have that phone and swear by it like it's the holy grail.....
    it is the holy grail, i had that phone at one point and i defintly miss it. except for the text messaging, i remember i was able to recieve text messages but i could drop that phone on the floor 100 times and it would still work.
    10-07-08 01:51 AM
    LOL Startac's rule> I loved mine back in the day...
    I remember wanting one SOOOO bad. never ended up getting one.
    10-07-08 06:28 AM
    I avoided 2 iphone generations because I knew once someone came out with a touch screen phone. RIM/Waterloo would come out with one and exceeds what apple has done so far. As far as I am concerned apple went with the wrong company in the 1st place.
    Their sales don't seem to reflect this.
    10-07-08 07:31 AM
    sales doesn't really have anything to do with that particular situation. The iPhone is a great phone people can not deny that, it may not cater to the needs of every person but it does a great job of trying to round out the experience for everyone. but as far what Kholdstar said i agree with him with verizon passing up the opportunity to take on the iphone, i read an article somewhere i will try to find it, but from certain statistics the iphone has stolen atleast 15% of most major phone companies subscribers. in fact, verizon had the biggest loss of customers who switched over to the iphone. So i think it was a big mistake that verizon passed up the iphone. big mistake.

Third of 3G iPhone Buyers Switched from Other Carriers to Join AT&T

the article states that of all the iphone customers that switched over 47% of them were from verizon. that is a lot of people.
    Last edited by NFLBlitze1; 10-07-08 at 07:46 AM.
    10-07-08 07:43 AM
    Of that 47% how many do you think were Blackberry users? Not a lot. The point is everyone keeps saying i-phone killer when their is none. The i-phone caters to a certain group of people and is doing good at it.
    10-07-08 08:07 AM
    the article states that of all the iphone customers that switched over 47% of them were from verizon. that is a lot of people.
    I'd be willing to bet that the switch was because of the phone though, not AT&T. Release the iPhone on Verizon and you'd see similar stats.

Just my guess...
    10-07-08 08:07 AM
    As far as predictions for the iPhone, I'm not sure exactly how long an "arrangement" Apple has with AT&T to be their exclusive carrier - but I read in an article somewhere during the pre-launch phase, that one of the primary reasons AT&T won the bid, was they promised Apple they wouldn't hinder or constrain the capabilities of the phone as provided by the manufacturer.

Unless Apple does an about-face on having total control over the iPhones hardware/software potential, I wouldn't hold my breath for a version to make its way over to Verizon after the Storm debuts.

I do think the iPhone will likely evolve with the competition - but for now it still smacks too much of "expensive toy" for me, certainly not something that I'd trust as a business-machine like the BlackBerry. And this is a Mac-guy saying that, mind you.
    Ultimately, I'd envision the iPhone receiving updates that increase its possible use beyond "surf the web and buy stuff at iTunes!"-market share.
    Maybe even something closer to utilize at play and work.

But for now, I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of the Storm.
    I just hope that touchscreen really is as user-friendly and fast to use as their making it out to be- otherwise, this Storm could end up as RIMs Newton. Which makes kitty sad.
    10-07-08 08:35 AM
    I'd be willing to bet that the switch was because of the phone though, not AT&T. Release the iPhone on Verizon and you'd see similar stats.

Just my guess...
    I'd have to say that I concur.
    10-07-08 08:39 AM

Just my guess...
    I agree<I've regretted AT&T since I bought the I-Phone and I miss Verizon.
    10-07-08 08:47 AM
    I use my iPhone on the weekend, and my curve during the week. Many iPhone apps have landscape support built in. For example, Beejive IM has excellent landscape support. I am a fan of both platforms and glad that both sides appear to be pushing each other. There is no way you would see a RIM app store if there was no iPhone.

I have both phones as well. Do you pay for a data plan for both?
    10-07-08 03:35 PM
    I have Verizon and while I would have purchased an iPhone and most likely loved it if Verizon got the device, but I think Verzion made a great decision in not picking up the iPhone. I say this because those who have AT&T for the sake of having the iPhone hold an allegiance to the iPhone and would follow it to whichever carrier it may go to in the future. However, Verizon has always made sure that its customers have an allegiance to the service they provide and not some device. As a result, no phone is greater than Verizon for most customers but to the iPhone user I would suspect that the phone is greater than the carrier. Thoughts?
    Last edited by xan8470; 10-07-08 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Clarify a statement
    10-07-08 03:39 PM
    I have Verizon and while I would have purchased an iPhone and most likely loved it if Verizon got the device, I think Verzion made a great decision in not caving to Apple. I say this because those who have AT&T for the sake of having the iPhone hold an allegiance to the iPhone and would follow it to whichever carrier it may go to in the future. However, Verizon has always made sure that its customers have an allegiance to the service they provide and not some device. As a result, no phone is greater than Verizon for most customers but to the iPhone user I would suspect that the phone is greater than the carrier. Thoughts?
    I think you mean Apple didn't cave to Verizon.
    10-07-08 04:03 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD